Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Ihor Antonov-2
Hi Debian Community,

I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.

The website advocates for
   sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
install.sh)"

I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
install it without piping internet into sh.

Thanks
-------------------
Ihor Antonov

Re: Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Kenneth Parker-2

On Thu, Apr 16, 2020, 2:19 PM Ihor Antonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Debian Community,

I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.

The website advocates for
   sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
install.sh)"

I got a "400: Invalid Request", when I tried to follow that Link.

I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
install it without piping internet into sh.

What is oh-my-zsh anyway?  I never heard of it.  (I used zsh, but it was years ago).

Thanks
-------------------
Ihor Antonov

Kenneth Parker

On Thursday, 16 April 2020 11:33:34 PDT Kenneth Parker wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 16, 2020, 2:19 PM Ihor Antonov <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi Debian Community,
> >
> > I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.
> >
> > The website advocates for
> >
> >    sh -c "$(curl -fsSL
> >
> > https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
> > install.sh)"
>
> I got a "400: Invalid Request", when I tried to follow that Link.
>
> I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
>
> > install it without piping internet into sh.
>
> What is oh-my-zsh anyway?  I never heard of it.  (I used zsh, but it was
> years ago).

It is a plugin framework for zsh
https://ohmyz.sh/

-------------------
Ihor Antonov

> Kenneth Parker

Re: Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Darac Marjal-2

On 16/04/2020 19:12, Ihor Antonov wrote:
Hi Debian Community,

I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.

The website advocates for
   sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
install.sh)"

I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
install it without piping internet into sh.

The README (https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh#manual-installation) suggests:

git clone https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh.git ~/.oh-my-zsh
cp ~/.zshrc ~/.zshrc.orig
cp ~/.oh-my-zsh/templates/zshrc.zsh-template ~/.zshrc
chsh -s $(which zsh)

Then logout and log back in.

Thanks
-------------------
Ihor Antonov

Re: Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Dan Ritter-4
Ihor Antonov wrote:

> Hi Debian Community,
>
> I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.
>
> The website advocates for
>    sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
> install.sh)"
>
> I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
> install it without piping internet into sh.

If I wanted that, I would:

cd src (or anywhere else you want to keep the source)
git clone https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh.git
and then modify tools/install.sh to run 'cp' instead of 'git'
commands for the rest of it, since you'll have all the files
in place.

-dsr-

Dan Ritter wrote:

> Ihor Antonov wrote:
> > Hi Debian Community,
> >
> > I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.
> >
> > The website advocates for
> >    sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
> > install.sh)"
> >
> > I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
> > install it without piping internet into sh.
>
> If I wanted that, I would:
>
> cd src (or anywhere else you want to keep the source)
> git clone https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh.git
> and then modify tools/install.sh to run 'cp' instead of 'git'
> commands for the rest of it, since you'll have all the files
> in place.

Or do what Darac suggested. Yes, definitely that.

-dsr-

Re: Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI-4
On 16/04/2020 15:12, Ihor Antonov wrote:

> Hi Debian Community,
>
> I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.
>
> The website advocates for
>    sh -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
> install.sh)"
>
> I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
> install it without piping internet into sh.
I haven't tried this, but antigen is available as the zsh-antigen
package, and according to its webpage
(https://github.com/zsh-users/antigen) you can add oh-my-zsh using it.

--
decafalon, n.:
        The grueling event of getting through the day consuming only things

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

[RESOLVED] Saner way to install ohmyzsh

Ihor Antonov-2
On Thursday, 16 April 2020 12:14:35 PDT Darac Marjal wrote:

> On 16/04/2020 19:12, Ihor Antonov wrote:
> > Hi Debian Community,
> >
> > I was looking for a better way to install oh-my-zsh.
> >
> > The website advocates for
> >
> >    sh -c "$(curl -fsSL
> >    https://raw.github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh/master/tools/
> >
> > install.sh)"
> >
> > I did not find existing Debian packages, so maybe someone knows a a way to
> > install it without piping internet into sh.
>
> The README (https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh#manual-installation)
> suggests:
>
> git clone https://github.com/ohmyzsh/ohmyzsh.git ~/.oh-my-zsh
>
> cp ~/.zshrc ~/.zshrc.orig
>
> cp ~/.oh-my-zsh/templates/zshrc.zsh-template ~/.zshrc
>
> chsh -s $(which zsh)

Somehow I missed this manual installation instructions page. This solution is
what I was looking for.

Thanks guys!