Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Keith Steensma-2
I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.

With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
(without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
and again. Never allowing the connection.

The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
login, 'root' can never login.

Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
times that I many be going crazy.

Keith

Keith

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

mick crane
On 2019-08-12 14:33, Judah Richardson wrote:

> Try logging in as a user that has sudo power.
>
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019, 08:31 Keith Steensma
> <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
>> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
>> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no
>> modification.
>>
>> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any
>> other
>> port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
>> All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
>> (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
>> user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
>> replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and
>> again,
>> and again. Never allowing the connection.
>>
>> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
>> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
>> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for
>> 'root'
>> login, 'root' can never login.
>>
>> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
>> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
>> times that I many be going crazy.
>>
>> Keith

Is maybe the logins that are allowed in /etc/ssh/sshd_config
I have no problems with
"PubkeyAuthentication yes"

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

john doe-6
On 8/12/2019 3:23 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:

> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>
> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
> port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
> All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
> (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
> user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
> replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
> and again. Never allowing the connection.
>
> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
> login, 'root' can never login.
>
> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
> times that I many be going crazy.

A username needs to be specified for putty to be able to connect to the
SSH server.
So after a fresh install of Debian in putty try to enter the username
and the password of the non-root user you have created at install time.

For the time being  clear any rules in iptables and try to install
Debian with SSH pkg and see how it goes from there.

I have no problem accessing my servers on Stretch or Buster after an
upgrade from Stretch to Buster or after an fresh install of both releases.

John Doe

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Bruce Halco
Is there anything useful in /var/log/sshd.log?

Bruce

On 8/12/19 9:23 AM, Keith Steensma wrote:

> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>
> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any
> other port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy
> Accept All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using
> 'putty' (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a
> regular user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that
> connection and replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password
> again and again, and again. Never allowing the connection.
>
> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for
> 'root' login, 'root' can never login.
>
> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
> times that I many be going crazy.
>
> Keith

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Roberto C. Sánchez-2
On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:23:17AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:

> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
> that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
> something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>
> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
> of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
> I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
> 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
> Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
> denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
> the connection.

What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?

Regards,

-Roberto

Roberto C. Sánchez

On 8/12/2019 9:23 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:23:17AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:
>> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
>> that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
>> something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>>
>> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
>> of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
>> I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
>> 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
>> Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
>> denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
>> the connection.
>>
> What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?
>
> Regards,
>
> -Roberto

In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to
get it to log something, anything and
it won't.

On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 09:32:42AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 9:23 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:23:17AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:
> > > I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
> > > that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
> > > something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
> > >
> > > With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
> > > of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
> > > I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
> > > 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
> > > Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
> > > denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
> > > the connection.
> > >
> > What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >
> In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to get
> it to log something, anything and
> it won't.

Then try executing ssh with the '-vvv' option from the client side and
examining the diagnostic messages related to the key exchange and other
steps of the connection negotiation.

Regards,

-Roberto
Roberto C. Sánchez

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Dan Ritter-4
Keith Steensma wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 9:23 AM, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> > On Mon, Aug 12, 2019 at 08:23:17AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:
> > > I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
> > > that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
> > > something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
> > >
> > > With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
> > > of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
> > > I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
> > > 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
> > > Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
> > > denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
> > > the connection.
> > >
> > What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > -Roberto
> >
> In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to get
> it to log something, anything and
> it won't.

Check /var/log/auth.log

-dsr-

On 2019-08-12 15:22, Keith Steensma wrote:
> Using
> "PermitRootLogin Yes"
> "PubkeyAuthentication yes"
> and a SSH key created under putty and placed in the proper location in
> the 'root' directory, still gives a "Server refused our Key"

I can't remember.
perhaps you have to restart sshd after changing the config file.
The public key wants to be in ~/.ssh/authorized_keys.

mick
Key ID    4BFEBB31

On 8/12/2019 9:18 AM, john doe wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 3:23 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:
>> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
>> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
>> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>>
>> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
>> port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
>> All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
>> (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
>> user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
>> replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
>> and again. Never allowing the connection.
>>
>> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
>> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
>> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
>> login, 'root' can never login.
>>
>> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
>> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
>> times that I many be going crazy.
>>
> A username needs to be specified for putty to be able to connect to the
> SSH server.
> So after a fresh install of Debian in putty try to enter the username
> and the password of the non-root user you have created at install time.
>

> For the time being  clear any rules in iptables and try to install
> Debian with SSH pkg and see how it goes from there.
>

> I have no problem accessing my servers on Stretch or Buster after an
> upgrade from Stretch to Buster or after an fresh install of both releases.
>
> --
> John Doe

I've done that more than a few times. Even to the point of thinking it
was the hardware
(which it is not).  I had been using the net install version and
considered that it was tainted,
so I download a full dvd version but it is the same way.  I've used
Debian for over 10 years
and never been faced with something like this.

BTW. Where in putty do you put the user's password?  I've never seen
that slot.  I know where
the user's key goes, but not the user's password.

On 8/12/2019 4:34 PM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Keith Steensma wrote:

>>> What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Roberto
>>>
>> In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to get
>> it to log something, anything and
>> it won't.
>
> Check /var/log/auth.log

From (1) on the server side:

"LogLevel
Gives the verbosity level that is used when logging messages from
sshd(8). The possible values are: QUIET, FATAL, ERROR, INFO, VERBOSE,
DEBUG, DEBUG1, DEBUG2, and DEBUG3. The default is INFO. DEBUG and DEBUG1
are equivalent. DEBUG2 and DEBUG3 each specify higher levels of
debugging output. Logging with a DEBUG level violates the privacy of
users and is not recommended."

On Windows, you need to increase the verbosity of the client
(putty/Teraterm ...) or try Cygwin to use 'ssh -vvv' on windows.

1)  https://linux.die.net/man/5/sshd_config

John Doe

On 8/12/2019 9:34 AM, Dan Ritter wrote:

> Keith Steensma wrote:

>>> What messages are logged on the machine(s) running sshd?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> -Roberto
>>>
>> In /var/log/messages NOTHING and that is so maddening.  I have tried to get
>> it to log something, anything and
>> it won't.
> Check /var/log/auth.log
>
> -dsr-

Just shows SSH started and stopped.  I may have to modify the start up
routine to include something.

On 8/12/2019 4:42 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 9:18 AM, john doe wrote:
>> On 8/12/2019 3:23 PM, Keith Steensma wrote:
>>> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and
>>> found that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm
>>> doing something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>>>
>>> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other
>>> port of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept
>>> All.  When I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty'
>>> (without letting 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular
>>> user's login name, Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and
>>> replies back "Access denied' and asks for the password again and again,
>>> and again. Never allowing the connection.
>>>
>>> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
>>> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
>>> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for 'root'
>>> login, 'root' can never login.
>>>
>>> Has anyone run into this behavior before or know about a fix for this
>>> problem.  I have formatted, installed, reinstalled and Googled so many
>>> times that I many be going crazy.
>>>
>> A username needs to be specified for putty to be able to connect to the
>> SSH server.
>> So after a fresh install of Debian in putty try to enter the username
>> and the password of the non-root user you have created at install time.
>>

>> For the time being  clear any rules in iptables and try to install
>> Debian with SSH pkg and see how it goes from there.
>>

>> I have no problem accessing my servers on Stretch or Buster after an
>> upgrade from Stretch to Buster or after an fresh install of both
>> releases.
>>
>> --
>> John Doe
>>
> I've done that more than a few times. Even to the point of thinking it
> was the hardware
> (which it is not).  I had been using the net install version and
> considered that it was tainted,

No problem here with 'netinst.iso' file, did you checksummed and
verified the iso file before using it?

> so I download a full dvd version but it is the same way.  I've used
> Debian for over 10 years
> and never been faced with something like this.
>
> BTW. Where in putty do you put the user's password?  I've never seen
> that slot.  I know where
> the user's key goes, but not the user's password.

For me, after entering the server hostname/ip and port I click on open
then I get prompted to enter the username and then the password.

John Doe

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

andreimpopescu
On Lu, 12 aug 19, 08:23:17, Keith Steensma wrote:

> I've installed both Version 9.9 (OldStable) and 'Buster' (Stable) and found
> that both version seem to have the same problem.  It's like I'm doing
> something wrong.  But these are fresh installs - no modification.
>
> With Secure Shell server installed and running on port 22 (or any other port
> of your choice) and iptable Chain Input and Output Policy Accept All.  When
> I try to connect from a Windows machine using 'putty' (without letting
> 'putty' fill in any user name) and fill in a regular user's login name,
> Secure Shell refuses to allow that connection and replies back "Access
> denied' and asks for the password again and again, and again. Never allowing
> the connection.
Can you login with the same user locally 'ssh localhost'?

If you try entering the password in the username field (don't press
enter so it's not logged) does it show as you expect it?

Kind regards,
Andrei

On 2019-08-12 15:45, Keith Steensma wrote:
<snipped>
> Just shows SSH started and stopped.?? I may have to modify the start up
> routine to include something.

I think I might have had an issue going from windows putty to Linux with
the windows line endings in the public key.
I think I've changed the encoding to linux in notepad++ on windows
before pasting into authorized_keys.
If open the public key in vi you might see if there are any wonky
characters.
Also I think it is possible to generate the key pair on linux and then
import them with putty key_agent but I am hazy about that bit, think
that is what I've done before.

mick

Key ID    4BFEBB31

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

elvis
On 12/8/19 11:23 pm, Keith Steensma wrote:

> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for
> 'root' login, 'root' can never login.

Try a local ssh login to see if it rules out network problems. As in ssh localhost.  or ssh -l <user> localhost. If it is your network getting in the way it may
rule that out.

The gene pool could use a little chlorine...

On 8/12/2019 4:00 PM, elvis wrote:

> On 12/8/19 11:23 pm, Keith Steensma wrote:
>>
>> The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even though a
>> 'root' login is not permitted in the default 'sshd_config'
>> configuration.  Even when I change the configuration to allow for
>> 'root' login, 'root' can never login.
>>

> Try a local ssh login to see if it rules out network problems. As in
> ssh localhost.  or ssh -l <user> localhost. If it is your network
> getting in the way it may
> rule that out.

Yes that works ( ssh -l <user> localhost ).  So that means it has to do
with the network connections.  But these are all in-house connections
that are sitting right on my workbench.  The switch and cables are less
than a year old (I know that doesn't mean much). But if you think this
problem is pointing toward a network condition, I can sure change out
some things real fast and prove that right or wrong.

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 08:23:35AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:

> On 8/12/2019 4:00 PM, elvis wrote:
> >On 12/8/19 11:23 pm, Keith Steensma wrote:
> >>
> >>The same thing happens if I fill in 'root' as the login even
> >>though a 'root' login is not permitted in the default
> >>'sshd_config' configuration.  Even when I change the
> >>configuration to allow for 'root' login, 'root' can never login.
> >>

> >Try a local ssh login to see if it rules out network problems. As
> >in ssh localhost.  or ssh -l <user> localhost. If it is your
> >network getting in the way it may
> >rule that out.
> >
> Yes that works ( ssh -l <user> localhost ).  So that means it has to
> do with the network connections.
Not necessarily. It can be the client, too (your PuTTY). You didn't
describe the error message in detail (perhaps it is too unspecific,
GUI clients tend to be like that), but perhaps PuTTY has some
"verbose" option you can activate. Then you may infer whether there's
a hole in the net or whether just client and server don't get along
with each other.

Cheers
-- tomás

Re: Secure Shell refuses to accept connections from anyone

Joe Rowan
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 15:28:04 +0200
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 13, 2019 at 08:23:35AM -0500, Keith Steensma wrote:

> > >Try a local ssh login to see if it rules out network problems. As
> > >in ssh localhost.  or ssh -l <user> localhost. If it is your
> > >network getting in the way it may
> > >rule that out.
> > >
> > Yes that works ( ssh -l <user> localhost ).  So that means it has to
> > do with the network connections.
>
> Not necessarily. It can be the client, too (your PuTTY). You didn't
> describe the error message in detail (perhaps it is too unspecific,
> GUI clients tend to be like that), but perhaps PuTTY has some
> "verbose" option you can activate. Then you may infer whether there's
> a hole in the net or whether just client and server don't get along
> with each other.

It is some years since I used PuTTY regularly, but I seem to recall
that it didn't use OpenSSH-type keys and insisted on generating its own
and providing a conversion to an OpenSSH key, which then had to be
placed on the server. Is it possible this procedure may have gone amiss,
or perhaps it is willing to use OpenSSH keys now?

--
Joe

12