Setting up power-off icon

Lisi Reisz
I want to set up a large power-off icon on the desktop for a user with very
poor sight.  I have found a suitable icon and am now struggling with setting
up the icon on the desktop.

Debian Jessie 8.8 with TDE 14.0.5.

This is what I have so far:

[Desktop Entry]
Name=Shut_down
Comment=Log out and power off
Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/power-button-off_318-42222.jpg
Exec=sudo /sbin/poweroff
Type=Application
Encoding=UTF-8
Terminal=false
Categories=None;

saved in /home/$USER/Desktop/

I get an icon (the wrong one!) on the desktop on which I can click and it
launches the application launcher and asks for an application or URL.  If I
delete the word sudo I get the menu opened up and get asked which application
I want.

I asked on the TDE list and was told to set up an con to execute the sudo
command, then googled, and got the idea for this from:
http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/gui/desktop-shortcuts
but am now completely at sea and am probably asking the wrong questions.

I have never been a lover of icons and am not very hot on their creation and
use.

The user got badly scammed, so I am doing this instead of just reinstalling
Windows 7 and letting him get on with it.  If I can succeed, this will be
much easier for him and MUCH less insecure.

Lisi

Re: Setting up power-off icon

Lisi Reisz
On Thursday 01 June 2017 00:17:29 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I want to set up a large power-off icon on the desktop for a user with very
> poor sight.  I have found a suitable icon and am now struggling with
> setting up the icon on the desktop.
>
> Debian Jessie 8.8 with TDE 14.0.5.
>
> This is what I have so far:
>
> [Desktop Entry]
> Name=Shut_down
> Comment=Log out and power off
> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/power-button-off_318-42222.jpg
> Exec=sudo /sbin/poweroff
> Type=Application
> Encoding=UTF-8
> Terminal=false
> Categories=None;
>
> saved in /home/$USER/Desktop/

I have one that is working via the desktop shortcut - but am now faced with
being unable to change the icon.  (Which is just a gear.)

Lisi

> I get an icon (the wrong one!) on the desktop on which I can click and it
> launches the application launcher and asks for an application or URL.  If I
> delete the word sudo I get the menu opened up and get asked which
> application I want.
>
> I asked on the TDE list and was told to set up an con to execute the sudo
> command, then googled, and got the idea for this from:
> http://www.raspberry-projects.com/pi/pi-operating-systems/raspbian/gui/desk
>top-shortcuts but am now completely at sea and am probably asking the wrong
> questions.
>
> I have never been a lover of icons and am not very hot on their creation
> and use.
>
> The user got badly scammed, so I am doing this instead of just reinstalling
> Windows 7 and letting him get on with it.  If I can succeed, this will be
> much easier for him and MUCH less insecure.
>
> Lisi

Re: Setting up power-off icon

Ben Caradoc-Davies-3
On 01/06/17 11:48, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> On Thursday 01 June 2017 00:17:29 Lisi Reisz wrote:
>> [Desktop Entry]
[...]
>> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/power-button-off_318-42222.jpg
[...]
> I have one that is working via the desktop shortcut - but am now faced with
> being unable to change the icon.  (Which is just a gear.)

Lisi, have you tried using a PNG, with a ".png" extension?

https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spec-1.0.html
https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-latest.html
"The image files must be one of the types: PNG, XPM, or SVG, and the
extension must be ".png", ".xpm", or ".svg" (lower case). The support
for SVG files is optional. Implementations that do not support SVGs
should just ignore any ".svg" files."

Kind regards,

--
Ben Caradoc-Davies <[hidden email]>
Director
New Zealand

Re: Setting up power-off icon

Lisi Reisz
On Thursday 01 June 2017 00:58:37 Ben Caradoc-Davies wrote:

> On 01/06/17 11:48, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 June 2017 00:17:29 Lisi Reisz wrote:
> >> [Desktop Entry]
>
> [...]
>
> >> Icon=/usr/share/pixmaps/power-button-off_318-42222.jpg
>
> [...]
>
> > I have one that is working via the desktop shortcut - but am now faced
> > with being unable to change the icon.  (Which is just a gear.)
>
> Lisi, have you tried using a PNG, with a ".png" extension?
>
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/desktop-entry-spec/desktop-entry-spe
>c-1.0.html
> https://specifications.freedesktop.org/icon-theme-spec/icon-theme-spec-late
>st.html "The image files must be one of the types: PNG, XPM, or SVG, and the
> extension must be ".png", ".xpm", or ".svg" (lower case). The support for
> SVG files is optional. Implementations that do not support SVGs should just
> ignore any ".svg" files."
>
> Kind regards,

Thanks!!  Had just succeeded.  Now have an enormous, functioning poweroff
icon!!

Thank you for the reply.  One icon down, three to go .... (The others are just
URLs and should be easy!  And I know now how to change the icon if I want
to!)

Lisi