Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

KI7MT
Hello All,

There are a number of significant changes happening with the WSJT
upstream applications (WSJT, WSPR, WSPR-X and WSJT-X).

Currently, only (2) apps are in the Debian repository, both are quite
old (WSJT v9.3 and WSJT-X v1.1). WSJT is Python3 based where WSJT-X v1
is QT4 based.

Long story short, the Python3 based applications (WSJT and WSPR) are
heading into obsolescence and all Qt4 based apps have been ported /
updated to QT5.

WSJT-X (upstream devel version 1.5.0) now includes (4) primary modes:
* JT65(a)
* JT9
* JT4
* WSPR-2
* WSPR mode 15 is scheduled for inclusion as before release.

The WSPR decoder has been ported to C++ rather that Fortran, thus
eliminating all the Python2/3 NumPY issues we had in the past. I've also
created a package (kvasd-installer) which resolves the non-FOSS KVASD issue.

These modes are considered "slow" modes by the development team. The
fast modes, those used for Meteor Scatter and EME work (currently only
available in WSJT Python3 version) will be ported to the QT5 framework
in the not to distant future.

The end result will be (2) applications that contain *all* the current
WSJT modes. WSJT-X for *slow modes* and a second, yet to be named,
application that will replace WSJT *fast modes* (FSK441 and other JT65
derivatives).

While keeping tabs with the WSJT development mailing lists, WSJT-X + the
new *slow modes* should be available fairly soon (a month or less
maybe). I am not sure if this will be in time for the Jessie Point
release or not.

The impact to maintainers is all positive. Application packaging,
dependencies and KVASD issues will be *dramatically simplified*. The new
WSJT-X version has been tested on i386, amd64 and ARMv7, on all current
Debian and Ubuntu releases.

I have a build on Launchpad ( WSJTX-DEV ) that builds WSJT-X properly.
At present, it needs updating to the latest RC branch which includes the
new *slow modes*, but the goal of the package was hash out a new build
method using $(CMAKE) rather than $(MAKE)/$(QMAKE), which was, at the
last build milestone, working as expected.

As things stabilize out upstream, I'll start updating my Launchpad
package ( WSJTX-DEV )as well as the Debian Hams Alioth Git Repo. This
will also eliminate one ITP I posted for WSPR and several bugs for
existing packages.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

Re: Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

Bdale Garbee
KI7MT <[hidden email]> writes:

> There are a number of significant changes happening with the WSJT
> upstream applications (WSJT, WSPR, WSPR-X and WSJT-X).

Thanks for the update.  I was running on some local builds before the
fire in 2013 and haven't gotten back on the moon yet, but having these
packaged and maintained well in Debian is something I'd love to see!

73 - Bdale, KB0G

Re: Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

KI7MT
Hi Bdale,

That is the intention, to get the Debian repo's updated so it feeds all
the derivatives.

Will send out an update when they have things the way they want them.
There is allot of activity happening right now to get v1.5.0 of WSJT-X
released, then I suspect, work will commence on porting the fast mode
WSJT sections to QT5.

73's
Greg, KI7MT

On 5/28/2015 8:43 AM, Bdale Garbee wrote:

> KI7MT <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> There are a number of significant changes happening with the WSJT
>> upstream applications (WSJT, WSPR, WSPR-X and WSJT-X).
>
> Thanks for the update.  I was running on some local builds before the
> fire in 2013 and haven't gotten back on the moon yet, but having these
> packaged and maintained well in Debian is something I'd love to see!
>
> 73 - Bdale, KB0G

UPDATE-1 - Significant Change(s) to WSJT Application Suite

KI7MT
Hello All,

The WSJT Development team posted WSJTX v1.5.0 RC2 this afternoon. This
version, *does not* contain WSPR or JT4 modes, but, is a much improved
version of what currently resides in the Debian / Ubuntu repository (
WSJT-X v1.1 ). This version is the first of a series that will be
released from the upstream team.

I have updated my PPA to this latest version, which also requires the
KVASD Installer package. As such, both PPA"s need to be added. If you'd
like to test this version, follow the instructions below.

At present, the following is supported, from the PPA:

Arch: i386, amd64
Distro's: Ubuntu 14.04, 14.10, 15.05, 15.10

I have test this version, v1.5.0 on Debian Jessie, but it was built
using JTSDK Nix. I've done minimal testing on 15.10 as it's under heavy
development, so I there is a potential for issues with Wily.

INSTALLATION

ADD PPAs:
* sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ki7mt/wsjtx-dev
* Accept the PGP Key
* sudo add-apt-repository ppa:ki7mt/kvasd-installer
* Accept the PGP Key
* sudo apt-get update
* sudo apt-get install wsjtx-dev

If all goes well, kvasd-installer should be installed and ready to run
along with WSJTX v1.5.0

INSTALL KVASD Binary:
* In the terminal, type: kvasd-installer
* Select Option-1, Install Decoder
* Accept the EULA ( End User License Agreement )

If everything is OK, you should see a Passed Message along with LDD info
from the binary.

That should do it, browse Unity or your menu system and search WSJTX

VERSION SPECIFIC NOTES

* You should not loose any of your original WSJTX v1.1 data, which is
stored in ~/.wsjtx

* v1.5.0 stores the WSJTX.ini file in ~/.config

* All saved data, logs, FFTW wisdom files, Decode files etc get stored
in ~/.local/share/WSJTX. This is the default location for saved Wav
files, but, it is configurable via the settings menu.

If you any problems with the installation or operation, post them to the
list or you can email me directly if need be.

73's
Greg, KI7MT