Smith Chart Calculator in Debian

Iain R. Learmonth-3
Hi All,

I have been looking at the gsmc package in Debian and I believe it to be in
not so great shape. The code contains implicit declarations of functions,
which is dangerous as it might hide issues the compiler could otherwise warn
about or cause bad code. The upstream release also contains a bunch of
unsafe symlinks.

The author of gsmc (who is in CC as I'd like input from everyone before
deciding what to do) has also produced an X version of gsmc that is not
currently packaged.

We also have linsmith packaged in Debian, which until today I had not
realised we had packaged as this is maintained by the Debian Science
Maintainers. I've added this to the list of changes for my next push of the
Hamradio blend.

There's no reason why we can't have gsmc, xsmc and linsmith all in Debian
together and there's also no reason that we can't have just linsmith
(removing gsmc and reducing my workload) or just gsmc and linsmith (as it
currently is).

What I'd like some input on is what people are currently using, and I'd also
like to know if the gsmc issues that are reported are going to be fixed
upstream or if we continue to have gsmc in Debian, would I need to be making
the fixes for issues effectively becoming the new de facto upstream
maintainer.

Thanks,
Iain.

Re: Smith Chart Calculator in Debian

ik5nax
Hi All,
14:21 Sat 03 Sep 16  , Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> I have been looking at the gsmc package in Debian and I believe it to be in
> not so great shape.

Yes, I know, I'm not a coder, when I started to write xsmc and gsmc
just I did need it and other tools did not work for me.

> The code contains implicit declarations of functions,
> which is dangerous as it might hide issues the compiler could otherwise warn
> about or cause bad code. The upstream release also contains a bunch of
> unsafe symlinks.

During august I started a minor revision but I've done a little. The
main effort has been to create e local git rep.

> The author of gsmc (who is in CC as I'd like input from everyone before
> deciding what to do) has also produced an X version of gsmc that is not
> currently packaged.

Yes, xsmc was the first attempt but I think it has no more sense.

> We also have linsmith packaged in Debian, which until today I had not
> realised we had packaged as this is maintained by the Debian Science
> Maintainers. I've added this to the list of changes for my next push of the
> Hamradio blend.

I admit I've never seen linsmith I've just checked it. It has some
more funciotnality respect to gsmc but I can't understand well the
user interface, I've to try it more.

> There's no reason why we can't have gsmc, xsmc and linsmith all in Debian
> together and there's also no reason that we can't have just linsmith
> (removing gsmc and reducing my workload) or just gsmc and linsmith (as it
> currently is).

I think xsmc is truly obsolete.

> What I'd like some input on is what people are currently using, and I'd also
> like to know if the gsmc issues that are reported are going to be fixed
> upstream or if we continue to have gsmc in Debian, would I need to be making
> the fixes for issues effectively becoming the new de facto upstream
> maintainer.

If you want we can collaborate to fix gsmc issue: I think I'm not able
to do it all by myself.

(I've also to change email address, [hidden email] still work but this
one is better.)

Many thanks for your effort!

Lapo (ik5nax)

Re: Smith Chart Calculator in Debian

ik5nax
Hi All again,
14:21 Sat 03 Sep 16  , Iain R. Learmonth wrote:

I spend a couple of hour to fix something on gsmc and (my very first
attempt!) I pushed to github:

    https://github.com/radioteknos/gsmc

Let me know what is missing/wrong.

Many thanks for your efforts Iain

Lapo

On Sun, Sep 04, 2016 at 09:34:17PM +0200, Lapo Pieri wrote:
>     https://github.com/radioteknos/gsmc

I've updated the Debian package for gsmc to use the GitHub repository. I've
filed a couple of issues that are mostly cosmetic issues on GitHub.

Could you fix those and tag a release and then I'll make an upload with the
release?

  https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

For now at least, we'll have both gsmc and linsmith in Debian. (:

 10:43 Mon 05 Sep 16  , Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> Could you fix those and tag a release and then I'll make an upload with the
> release?

Hope I've done everything and in the right way

>   https://git-scm.com/book/en/v2/Git-Basics-Tagging

Done, I did tag other versione but not shared tags, now it's ok

> For now at least, we'll have both gsmc and linsmith in Debian. (:

Many thanks Iain!

Lapo

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 06:51:13PM +0200, Lapo Pieri wrote:
> Hope I've done everything and in the right way

This is now one of the best packages we have in the hamradio team.

I've just uploaded 1.2.1-1 to the archive, and now with no patches from
Debian as you've integrated them all. (:

Thanks,
Iain.

Re: Smith Chart Calculator in Debian

David A Aitcheson
Iain,

Any chance it could get advertised to the Ubuntu -Hams list? I am not on it any more, got fed up with the politics.

Also did a ".deb" file get made, and if so where would I find it?

If no ".deb" file then I'll pull from git and build from source that way.

73
Dave
KB3EFS
FN24BI81GP

 19:51 Tue 06 Sep 16  , Iain R. Learmonth wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 06:51:13PM +0200, Lapo Pieri wrote:
> > Hope I've done everything and in the right way
>
> This is now one of the best packages we have in the hamradio team.
>
> I've just uploaded 1.2.1-1 to the archive, and now with no patches from
> Debian as you've integrated them all. (:

:D

Lapo

On Tue, Sep 06, 2016 at 02:58:28PM -0400, David A Aitcheson wrote:
> Any chance it could get advertised to the Ubuntu -Hams list? I am not on
> it any more, got fed up with the politics.

I really don't care about Ubuntu. I believe Ubuntu scrapes Debian's packages
regularly, and so this will end up in Ubuntu soon.

> Also did a ".deb" file get made, and if so where would I find it?

http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/g/gsmc/gsmc_1.2.1-1_amd64.deb

Thanks,
Iain.