Software collections in Debian?

Nicholas Geovanis-2
Does Debian support the "software collections" machinery from RedHat? Or will it support them in the near future? Googling indicates that the answer is "no" but I can't find a flat-out statement so far. Thanks...Nick G

Re: Software collections in Debian?

Darac Marjal-2
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:55:24AM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>Does Debian support the "software collections" machinery from RedHat? Or will
>it support them in the near future? Googling indicates that the answer is "no"
>but I can't find a flat-out statement so far. Thanks...Nick G

I suspect that these are called "tasks" in debian. See the "tasksel"
program for more details.

For more information, please reread.

Re: Software collections in Debian?

Curt
On 2017-02-10, Darac Marjal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:55:24AM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>>Does Debian support the "software collections" machinery from RedHat? Or will
>>it support them in the near future? Googling indicates that the answer is "no"
>>but I can't find a flat-out statement so far. Thanks...Nick G
>
> I suspect that these are called "tasks" in debian. See the "tasksel"
> program for more details.

That's what I thought until I looked it up.

 With Software Collections, you can build and concurrently install multiple
 versions of the same software components on your system. Software Collections
 have no impact on the system versions of the packages installed by any of the
 conventional RPM package management utilities.

--
“It is enough that the arrows fit exactly in the wounds that they have made.”
Franz Kafka

Re: Software collections in Debian?

Floris-2
Op Fri, 10 Feb 2017 18:51:20 +0100 schreef Curt <[hidden email]>:

> On 2017-02-10, Darac Marjal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 10:55:24AM -0600, Nicholas Geovanis wrote:
>>> Does Debian support the "software collections" machinery from RedHat?
>>> Or will
>>> it support them in the near future? Googling indicates that the answer
>>> is "no"
>>> but I can't find a flat-out statement so far. Thanks...Nick G
>>
>> I suspect that these are called "tasks" in debian. See the "tasksel"
>> program for more details.
>>

> That's what I thought until I looked it up.
>

>  With Software Collections, you can build and concurrently install
> multiple
>  versions of the same software components on your system. Software
> Collections
>  have no impact on the system versions of the packages installed by any
> of the
>  conventional RPM package management utilities.

This sounds like flatpak
http://flatpak.org/

and is available in Debian

Re: Software collections in Debian?

Nicholas Geovanis-2
On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 3:14 PM, Floris <[hidden email]> wrote:

This sounds like flatpak
http://flatpak.org/

and is available in Debian

Thanks much. But sadly, from http://flatpak.org/faq.html
"Flatpak is designed to run inside a desktop session and relies on certain session services, such as a dbus session bus and a systemd --user instance. So, is not a good match for a server."

Do folks here agree that these services are "not a good match for a server"?
Thanks......Nick G.

Jeremy Voorhis

On 2017-02-10, Jeremy Voorhis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've used Software Collections for deployment of server software, and I can
> say they do a lot less than tools like flatpak or snap. Besides being
                    ****

Less or more? Or is less more, more or less?