Sound and unstable (a solution)

Stefano Salvi-2
When SID switched to udev, Gnome-vilume-control and the whole Gnome
sound infrastructure ceased to work.

In particular, gnome-volume-control complained not finding anu davice to
use.

I solved the problem in two ways:

1) To allow the Volume Control to work, I forced the loading of OSS
emulation (not loaded by default) adding to /etc/modprobe.d/sound the lines:
--------------------
install snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe --ignore-install snd-intel8x0;
/sbin/modprobe snd_pcm_oss; /sbin/modprobe snd_mixer_oss
remove snd-intel8x0 /sbin/modprobe -r --ignore-remove snd-intel8x0;
/sbin/modprobe -r snd_mixer_oss; /sbin/modprobe -r snd_pcm_oss
(the module for my audio card is snd-intel8x0 as can be easily seen in
the fist line of the samen file that says "alias snd-card-0 snd-intel8x0")

2) upgrading from libesd-ess0 (no more in the archive) to libess-alsa0
(why it is not automatically substituted when I perform a
"dist-upgrade"? I thought that it was introduced just for solving such
situations).

After these two canges, sound works great.

        Stefano Salvi