Speakup, orca and brltty

Fran Torres
Hello,

i think that on next week i Will clases start's.
  On the first day, the first exercise is make the GNU/Linux operating
system installation. In my case, the distribution is debian obviously.
  But, i want install using the following features:

Mate GUI installation.
use the ecobraille display with speakup and orca screen readers simultaneously.
Also, i not wont have problems at uses Firefox with all webpages, etc.
  Is posible use the Braille display (BRLTTY) how as JAWS for Windows
on Windows operating system for example?

Fran.

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Samuel Thibault-8
Hello,

Fran Torres, le lun. 09 sept. 2019 08:40:59 +0200, a ecrit:
>   Is posible use the Braille display (BRLTTY) how as JAWS for Windows
> on Windows operating system for example?

With orca, you will have the same kind of access to the MATE desktop as
you would have with JAWS on Windows. Shortcuts may be a bit different
etc. but the basic principle is the same.

Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Fran Torres
Hello Samuel,

how to i should configure the brltty, orca, etc for this objetive?

Fran.

> Hello,
>
> Fran Torres, le lun. 09 sept. 2019 08:40:59 +0200, a ecrit:
>>   Is posible use the Braille display (BRLTTY) how as JAWS for Windows
>> on Windows operating system for example?
>
> With orca, you will have the same kind of access to the MATE desktop as
> you would have with JAWS on Windows. Shortcuts may be a bit different
> etc. but the basic principle is the same.
>
> Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Samuel Thibault-8
Fran Torres, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 08:10:13 +0200, a ecrit:
> how to i should configure the brltty, orca, etc for this objetive?

This is all done automatically by the installer when you run the
installer with braille.

Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Fran Torres
Hello,

normally, i use the installer with speech. also is posible?
what key is for run installer with braille?
exist's a versión of installer with speech and braille?
Fran.

> Fran Torres, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 08:10:13 +0200, a ecrit:
>> how to i should configure the brltty, orca, etc for this objetive?
>
> This is all done automatically by the installer when you run the
> installer with braille.
>
> Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Samuel Thibault-8
Fran Torres, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 09:56:41 +0200, a ecrit:
> normally, i use the installer with speech. also is posible?
> what key is for run installer with braille?

Braille is autodetected when it's plugged via USB.

Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Sebastian Humenda
Hi Fran,

Fran Torres schrieb am 11.09.2019,  9:56 +0200:
>exist's a versión of installer with speech and braille?

No, unfortunately not. If you plan to use your system with speech and braille,
choose the braille installer (without speech). If you install a graphical user
environment such as MATE or GNOME, speech will be enabled automatically.

Best
Sebastian

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

john doe-6
On 9/11/2019 10:44 AM, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> Hi Fran,
>
> Fran Torres schrieb am 11.09.2019,  9:56 +0200:
>> exist's a versión of installer with speech and braille?
>
> No, unfortunately not. If you plan to use your system with speech and braille,
> choose the braille installer (without speech). If you install a graphical user
> environment such as MATE or GNOME, speech will be enabled automatically.

According to my understanding of (1), the option 'Install Debian with
speatch' should enable brail and speatch during and after installation.

1)  https://wiki.debian.org/accessibility#Debian_installer_accessibility

John Doe

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Samuel Thibault-8
john doe, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 12:08:20 +0200, a ecrit:

> On 9/11/2019 10:44 AM, Sebastian Humenda wrote:
> > Fran Torres schrieb am 11.09.2019,  9:56 +0200:
> >> exist's a versión of installer with speech and braille?
> >
> > No, unfortunately not. If you plan to use your system with speech and braille,
> > choose the braille installer (without speech). If you install a graphical user
> > environment such as MATE or GNOME, speech will be enabled automatically.
> >

> According to my understanding of (1), the option 'Install Debian with
> speatch' should enable brail and speatch during and after installation.

Yes.
Since braille is automatic with USB, you only have to select speech, and
both will be enabled, both during installation and on the installed
system.

Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Fran Torres
Hello,

i using a ecobraille braille display. This display use the Serial COM
port, not a USB. For connect it to USB, i using a USB to COM adapter.

Fran.

> john doe, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 12:08:20 +0200, a ecrit:
>> >
>> > No, unfortunately not. If you plan to use your system with speech and
>> > braille,
>> > choose the braille installer (without speech). If you install a
>> > graphical user
>> > environment such as MATE or GNOME, speech will be enabled
>> > automatically.
>> >

>> According to my understanding of (1), the option 'Install Debian with
>> speatch' should enable brail and speatch during and after installation.
>
> Yes.
> Since braille is automatic with USB, you only have to select speech, and
> both will be enabled, both during installation and on the installed
> system.
>
> Samuel

Re: Speakup, orca and brltty

Samuel Thibault-8
Fran Torres, le mer. 11 sept. 2019 19:19:40 +0200, a ecrit:
> i using a ecobraille braille display. This display use the Serial COM
> port, not a USB. For connect it to USB, i using a USB to COM adapter.

In that case you need to specify a brltty= option at the boot prompt:

https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s01.fr.html#boot-screen
https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/ch05s02.fr.html#idm1249

(replace 'fr' with your preferred language in the URLs above).

Samuel