Speeding up Debian Boot

Dean Chester
Hi
Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that Vista boots up quicker than debian.
Dean

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Pavlos Parissis
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:49:23 +0000
"Dean Chester" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi
> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> Vista boots up quicker than debian.
> Dean

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Ron Johnson
On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
> Hi
> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> Vista boots up quicker than debian.

If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
matter whether boot times are slow?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Hugo Vanwoerkom
Pavlos Parissis wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:49:23 +0000
> "Dean Chester" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi
>> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
>> Vista boots up quicker than debian.
>> Dean
>>

> http://www.debian-administration.org/articles/620

good hint

Hugo

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

JoeHill-2
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
> > Hi
> > Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> > Vista boots up quicker than debian.
>
> If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> matter whether boot times are slow?

maybe if it's a laptop ;)

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Ron Johnson
On 01/11/09 16:17, JoeHill wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
>> On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
>>> Hi
>>> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
>>> Vista boots up quicker than debian.
>> If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
>> matter whether boot times are slow?
>
> maybe if it's a laptop ;)

Laps are for girls, not computers.  (Is that ragingly sexist?)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

celejar
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:57 -0500
JoeHill <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ron Johnson wrote:
>
> > On 01/11/09 11:49, Dean Chester wrote:
> > > Hi
> > > Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> > > Vista boots up quicker than debian.
> >
> > If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> > matter whether boot times are slow?
>
> maybe if it's a laptop ;)

Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
without it.

Celejar

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

JoeHill-2
Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 01/11/09 16:17, JoeHill wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> >> If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> >> matter whether boot times are slow?
> >
> > maybe if it's a laptop ;)
>
> Laps are for girls, not computers.

Desks can be for girls too, depends on who you work with.

>  (Is that ragingly sexist?)

If it is, I'm in real trouble now.

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

JoeHill-2
Celejar wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 17:17:57 -0500
> JoeHill <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > > If you only reboot your machine once or twice a month, does it
> > > matter whether boot times are slow?
> >
> > maybe if it's a laptop ;)
>
> Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
> without it.

How long does that last? Could you suspend to disk while you're commuting for,
say, an hour or more?

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Tzafrir Cohen
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 06:42:37PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> Celejar wrote:

> > Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
> > without it.
>
> How long does that last? Could you suspend to disk while you're commuting for,
> say, an hour or more?

Suspend to ram: much faster, but time-limited (memory runs on the battery.

Suspend to disk: slowwer, but unlimited in time.

$ uptime
 01:51:08 up 130 days,  3:35,  4 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.21, 1.14

That's after countless of s2disk :-)

--
Tzafrir Cohen         | [hidden email] | VIM is
http://tzafrir.org.il |                    | a Mutt's

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

JoeHill-2
Tzafrir Cohen wrote:

> On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 06:42:37PM -0500, JoeHill wrote:
> > Celejar wrote:
>
> > > Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be able to do
> > > without it.
> >
> > How long does that last? Could you suspend to disk while you're commuting
> > for, say, an hour or more?
>
> Suspend to ram: much faster, but time-limited (memory runs on the battery.
>
> Suspend to disk: slowwer, but unlimited in time.
>
> $ uptime
>  01:51:08 up 130 days,  3:35,  4 users,  load average: 1.28, 1.21, 1.14
>
> That's after countless of s2disk :-)

Wow...had no idea. So badly want a portable.

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Paul Johnson
JoeHill wrote:

> Wow...had no idea. So badly want a portable.

PROTIP: Buy a share of IBM stock.  IBM shareholders get nice discounts
on Lenovo ThinkPads.  I love my A32 and T400.

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Jochen Spieker
Dean Chester:

> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> Vista boots up quicker than debian.

I use insserv on my desktop/laptop computers. My laptop boots in less
than a minute from Grub to a usable desktop, including two password
prompts (cryptdisks, gdm). Making /bin/sh point to /bin/dash might help
a bit, too. And of course, not running Gnome or KDE greatly shortens the
time you have to wait after login.

J.
--
The houses of parliament make me think of school bullies.
[Agree]   [Disagree]

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Angus Auld-2

> time. Its embarrassing that
> > >
> > > If you only reboot your machine once or twice a
> month, does it
> > > matter whether boot times are slow?
> >
> > maybe if it's a laptop ;)
>
> Suspend to disk; once you begin using it, you won't be
> able to do
> without it.
>
> Celejar

The way I see it, Vista might boot a lil' faster, but it's worth the wait for Debian. It might be a bit embarrassing to have Vista boot faster, but at least you don't have to be embarrassed after it's up and running....unlike Vista.

Just my humble opinion. Debian ROCKS.
Regards.

--
Angus

"All churches, whether Jewish, Christian, or Muslim, appear
to me no other than human inventions, setup to terrify and
enslave mankind - and to monopolize power and profit."
--
Thomas Paine (1737-1809)

###Laptop powered by Debian Linux###
######Reg. Linux User #278931######

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Preston Boyington-2
Dean Chester wrote:
> Hi
> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> Vista boots up quicker than debian.
> Dean

I use nullmailer instead of Exim since I don't need/want to run a mail
server and I bring up my networks (wi-fi, lan) manually when I want them.

I used bum to stop stuff I didn't feel I want and that helped also.

My Toshiba laptop seems to boot in under 30 seconds now.

http://www.arrantdrivel.com/

Where the road takes me - a highwayman’s perspective
http://www.prestonboyington.com/

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Steve Lamb
Dean Chester wrote:
> Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing that
> Vista boots up quicker than debian.

    I'd be shocked to find any machine on which that is true considering my
KUbuntu install boots to the desktop faster than XP as measured in minutes.
Vista is well beyond XP on boot speed.

    However there's the ol' parallel trick as well as trying to implement the
boot sequence from Pardus (please, Debian, pleeeeeease!).

--
         Steve C. Lamb         | But who decides what they dream?
       PGP Key: 8B6E99C5       |   And dream I do...

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Daryl Styrk

> The way I see it, Vista might boot a lil' faster, but it's worth the wait for Debian. It might be a bit embarrassing to have Vista boot faster, but at least you don't have to be embarrassed after it's up and running....unlike Vista.
>
> Just my humble opinion. Debian ROCKS.
> Regards.

Last time I saw a Vista machine boot, it might have made it to the
'desktop' faster, but it was in no way close to being done.. I believe
they have just spread out the services that start up and let as many as
possible start while your logging in.. But then again, I wasn't really
paying attention nor do I care to go and play with it..

So I guess its a race to see some graphics or have a mouse respond.

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Stefan Monnier
>> That's after countless of s2disk :-)
> Wow...had no idea. So badly want a portable.

s2disk works on desktops as well.  And s2ram too (tho it doesn't work
on mine).

        Stefan

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

michf
On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 07:50:41 -0800 (PST)
Angus Auld <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]

From what I remember from vista when I got the computer before I dumped vista,
it got relatively quick to the desktop but was unusable for another 5 minutes
or so (at least) until it finished getting everything up and running (and that
was on the second boot of a new computer with nothing installed just after I
setup a basic user on a 2.5ghz core 2 t9300 laptop with 3gb ram).

There is a package that reshuffles the startup order which should get you a
desktop before everything is started but I don't remember what it is.

You may be able to play with the startup order of things to achieve the same
effect (not sure what X is dependent on for a proper start)

> Just my humble opinion. Debian ROCKS.
> Regards.

Re: Speeding up Debian Boot

Todd A. Jacobs
On Sun, Jan 11, 2009 at 05:49:23PM +0000, Dean Chester wrote:

> Hi Is there anyway i can speed up debians boot time. Its embarrassing
> that Vista boots up quicker than debian. Dean

You have failed to define your terms, or to articulate a measurable
problem. There are lots of ways to speed up boot times, primarily by
removing unnecessary services and avoiding fsck.

If you want a less generic answer, ask a less generic question and
provide some details. How long does your system actually take to boot?
What kind of hardware are you running on? What services are you running?
Where is the boot process spending its time?

--
"Oh, look: rocks!"
        -- Doctor Who, "Destiny of the Daleks"