Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
Hey debian-desktop list,

so here we are, we have four themes submitted to the Squeeze artwork
contest (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtworkSqueeze):

* Nightly: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Nightly
* SpaceFun: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun
* Ciel: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/debian-ciel (with a
discreet variant)
* Lisp Machine: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/lisp-machine
(with multiple colors)

The four of them should be included in debian-desktop package
(wallpaper, gdm/slim/kdm themes, splash screen), but one should be
selected to be the default Squeeze artwork.

If you think one theme is the best for Squeeze, please reply here,
giving your candidate (and maybe a second, though ordering is a bit
harder) and few words about why you think it should be the default
Squeeze artwork. In case there are multiple variants, please tell us
which one you prefer too.

Sunday evening (at 23:59 UTC, something like that) we'll see what that
are the results, and start working on the packaging itself.

Note that all the themes don't have the same set of artwork, some of
them have wallpapers, some login screen themes, some CD themes. In case
the theme isn't complete, it'd be nice to have some help preparing the
missing bits using the existing artwork.

Yves-Alexis

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On sam., 2010-11-06 at 03:33 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> If you think one theme is the best for Squeeze, please reply here,
> giving your candidate (and maybe a second, though ordering is a bit
> harder) and few words about why you think it should be the default
> Squeeze artwork. In case there are multiple variants, please tell us
> which one you prefer too.

Ok, so here we go.

My personal order of preferences is:

* SpaceFun
* LispMachine blue
* Nightly

SpaceFun looks to me like the most polished one. It has the “fun” part
but would still be usable in any business office, imho. It's blueish (I
like blue) and not too dark. It's consistent with the character
“Squeeze” (the alien).

I really like the LispMachine blue variant, it has a very nice
futuristic aspect while having quite some background sense. However, it
might be difficult to integrate since there is no svg version
(obviously). Not sure if that'll be a real problem if we have large
enough original work but still.

Finally, I find Nightly really nice too, but maybe a bit to simple
(though that might apply to LispMachine too), and too dark.

Yves-Alexis

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Josselin Mouette
Le samedi 06 novembre 2010 à 03:33 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez a écrit :
> If you think one theme is the best for Squeeze, please reply here,
> giving your candidate (and maybe a second, though ordering is a bit
> harder) and few words about why you think it should be the default
> Squeeze artwork. In case there are multiple variants, please tell us
> which one you prefer too.

I would vote for:
     1. SpaceFun. It is very polished and complete, and gives a very
        nice identity to the desktop.
     2. Nightly. A bit too dark but very polished too.
     3. LispMachine blue, on the condition that it gets the missing
        pieces - currently it is just a nice wallpaper.

Note that most themes are missing a GDM2 theme - we could just keep
moreblue-orbit for it though, since it’s mostly here for people who are
upgrading from lenny.

 .''`.      Josselin Mouette
: :' :
`. `'  “If you behave this way because you are blackmailed by someone,
  `-    […] I will see what I can do for you.”  -- Jörg Schilling

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Ulrich Hansen
Am 06.11.2010 09:08, schrieb Yves-Alexis Perez:
> I really like the LispMachine blue variant, it has a very nice
> futuristic aspect while having quite some background sense. However, it

Thanks! :-)

> might be difficult to integrate since there is no svg version
> (obviously). Not sure if that'll be a real problem if we have large
> enough original work but still.

My workfile (xcf) is 5804x3869 px /180dpi, with the main round element
even a lot bigger than the layer, to guarantee a sharp output.

As the picture is based on a photograph, there is indeed no SVG
(except for the CD Cover, wich was made in Inkscape with a background
PNG).

I know some people swear on SVG, as this gives them a sort of
sourcecode. But I will (and have to, according to the GPL) provide my
GIMP source XCF with all layers, properly named, most even reflecting
step by step the building of effects. This means many things can be
conveniently adapted, changed and redone by anyone who is willing to.
This was clear to me before the proposal and I already did this with
all my CD artwork for debian yet.

regards
Ulrich

On sam., 2010-11-06 at 10:14 +0100, Ulrich Hansen wrote:

> My workfile (xcf) is 5804x3869 px /180dpi, with the main round
> element
> even a lot bigger than the layer, to guarantee a sharp output.
>
> As the picture is based on a photograph, there is indeed no SVG
> (except for the CD Cover, wich was made in Inkscape with a background
> PNG).
>
> I know some people swear on SVG, as this gives them a sort of
> sourcecode.
It wasn't really about sourcecode, but rather the ease to do
resolution/size modification. With svg it's rather gratuitous, while
with a png we have to ship multiple versions.

It's not really a big deal, just that svg is nice for us :)

Am 06.11.2010 10:21, schrieb Yves-Alexis Perez:
> On sam., 2010-11-06 at 10:14 +0100, Ulrich Hansen wrote:
>> I know some people swear on SVG, as this gives them a sort of
>> sourcecode.
>
> It wasn't really about sourcecode, but rather the ease to do
> resolution/size modification. With svg it's rather gratuitous, while
> with a png we have to ship multiple versions.

> It's not really a big deal, just that svg is nice for us :)

That's fine!

I just want to underline that it is a serious matter to me to publish
the sourcecode of the artwork. To show that this isn't just talking, I
already placed the source (400 MB) of the CD label for download (and
the free fonts, I used).

So take a look into the machinery! ;-)

<http://lazybrowndog.net/debian/squeeze/cd>

As for the other elements missing: I am working at it right now. I had
kind of a late start, as I had the idea for the new squeeze CD artwork
in mid october and needed some time to consider if it works as Desktop
Artwork as well . But if you look at the progress the theme made since
the discussion here, I hope there is no doubt, that I can deliver the
rest in the next days.

regards
Ulrich

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Amir Dizdarević-2
I'm voting:

- SpaceFun, BUT

1. I'd like Herr Hansen's CD covers.
2. I don't like SpaceFun's bootsplashes, they just look like an old C64 game :)

Why SpaceFun?

It looks very nice with the Shiki-Brave theme and gnome-brave icons, which are
both in stock Debian. gnome-brave also has Debian branding in it. This doesn't
matter, as they won't be chosen, but still, it makes theming it easier.

Cheers!

On 6 November 2010 11:31, Ulrich Hansen <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Robert Jaehne

Hi,

my vote:

1. LISP - it's a nice image with a great story. For CD-Cases ect. the colorfull version is great - for themeing & wallpapers a less conspicuous (= blue) version would be better.
2. Ciel - the meanigful background of LISP is unreachable for the others, but it I like the cloudy style :). As Jousselin said: the contrast could be better, at least the swirl needs a little unbluring.

BTW: After submitting my proposal I was a little overstrained with building all the stuff wich is needed - I think people wich create good artwork and great debian packages and know all the themeing related technical details (the debian specifics,too) are damn rare. :)

regards,
rob

2010/11/6 Amir Dizdarević <[hidden email]>
[...]

Roman Khomasuridze
Hi,

1. LispMachine (blue)
2. Ciel

Lisp machine looks very serious and is suitable for any environment, the wallpaper is nice from terms of usability - labels of Desktop icons are well readable etc.

Ciel - also serious and fits any environment, but lacks contrast, desktop labels are hardly readable (at least for my troubled eyes), also it blends with default themes (mainly Clearlooks but also KDE-s oxygen/ozone) what makes it hard to work with during long periods of time

Regards
------------
Roman

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Milo-18
Hi all,

my vote:

1 - Lisp Machine: original, eye pleasing, very own identity, new
1 bis - Space Fun: red and blue (debian tradition), match Squeeze character, fun :)

I cannot really put Space Fun out of number 1, I am a really great fan of Valessio's Theme (actually, I am StingBL on DeviantArt, the guy of the screenshot proposal that Valessio kindly add to Space Fun page) and for this reason I wrote  "1-bis" for Space Fun, considering it a top choice...but in the end, I think that Lisp Machine would be a more appropriate choice for the long run, it is new, fresh, very original and it gives his own identity to the debian desktop and I think it would be more appreciated for buissness/server use; Space Fun, with stars on the wallpaper and combination of white red and blue, maybe, is less universal and more appropriated for a desktop use.
Finally, I think that the originality of Lisp Machine will let people recognise Debian desktop immediately, giving a personal identity that, IMHO, default Debian desktop quite lacks in previous relase. Although, Space Fun is very original too.

So, I would pick Lisp Machine as default with blue wallpaper and GDM3 special background image (for consistency
 with label and cover artwork)...but both theme, IMHO, really rocks!

Sorry for my bad English

Kind Regards,

Marco Milone

2010/11/6 Roman Khomasuridze <[hidden email]>
Hi,

1. LispMachine (blue)
2. Ciel

Lisp machine looks very serious and is suitable for any environment, the wallpaper is nice from terms of usability - labels of Desktop icons are well readable etc.

Ciel - also serious and fits any environment, but lacks contrast, desktop labels are hardly readable (at least for my troubled eyes), also it blends with default themes (mainly Clearlooks but also KDE-s oxygen/ozone) what makes it hard to work with during long periods of time

Regards
------------
Roman

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Matti Palmström
1. Ciel
2. LispMachine

All the themes looks great, and personally I think it's a brilliant move
by Ulrich to use the image of the lisp machine in his theme. But I'm a
bit of a bore so I prefer calm backgrounds without so much movement or
details in them so I'll go with Ciel as my first choice

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Paul Wise via nm
My vote:

* upstream branding everywhere
* SpaceFun
* Lisp Machine blue
* Ciel
* Nightly

--
bye,
pabs

http://wiki.debian.org/PaulWis

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Pirate Praveen
2010/11/6 Yves-Alexis Perez <[hidden email]>:
> If you think one theme is the best for Squeeze, please reply here,
> giving your candidate (and maybe a second, though ordering is a bit
> harder) and few words about why you think it should be the default
> Squeeze artwork. In case there are multiple variants, please tell us
> which one you prefer too.

my vote

* spacefun
* lisp machine
* debian ciel

SpaceFun really captures the fun part of debian. I like this theme
when I saw it for the first time itself.

Thanks
Praveen
--
പ്രവീണ്‍ അരിമ്പ്രത്തൊടിയില്‍

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Joey Schulze
Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> Hey debian-desktop list,
>
> so here we are, we have four themes submitted to the Squeeze artwork
> contest (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtworkSqueeze):
>
> * Nightly: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Nightly
> * SpaceFun: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun
> * Ciel: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/debian-ciel (with a
> discreet variant)
> * Lisp Machine: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/lisp-machine
> (with multiple colors)

Thanks a lot to the four artists!

> If you think one theme is the best for Squeeze, please reply here,
> giving your candidate (and maybe a second, though ordering is a bit
> harder) and few words about why you think it should be the default
> Squeeze artwork. In case there are multiple variants, please tell us
> which one you prefer too.

For me, the Lisp Machine theme looks best.  From all four proposals
I believe this one is best suited to be used on private and business
desktop systems and to represent Debian.  It looks both plain (good
for a serious image) and geeky.

As for a second choice, I can't decide between Nightly and debian-ciel.

Regards,

        Joey

--
Those who don't understand Unix are condemned to reinvent it, poorly.

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Didier Raboud-5
Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:
> so here we are, we have four themes submitted to the Squeeze artwork
> contest (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtworkSqueeze):

Yay. Thanks for all contestants, results are already nice !

My ordering would be:

1) lisp-machine
        Nice theme, nice references and nice colours. I like it.
        Special care must be taken in order to have something smooth and
        not too agressive, but still my favorite.
2) debian-ciel
        Non-invasive towards the user, but perhaps too smooth and grey.
3) upstream branding everywhere (aka NOTA)
4) SpaceFun
        Too childish for me. Realisation is nicely made, but still.
4) Nightly
        Too dark for me. The stars make me think of something too mystic,
        too far from my concerns.

Thanks for considering, cheers,

OdyX

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Valessio S Brito-3
Hi all,
My personal order of preferences is:

* SpaceFun
* LispMachine !!!blue+swirl red!!!

SpaceFun, Because I believe that debian also need to have the fun aspect.

--
://ValessioBrito.info
> Profissional de inovação
@valessiobrito / +55 (71) VALESSIO

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Sune Vuorela-2
On 2010-11-08, Paul Wise <[hidden email]> wrote:
> My vote:
>
> * upstream branding everywhere
ohh... yes

/Sune
 - who really likes what the kde artists produces

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Adnan Hodzic-2
Hello everybody,

First of all I would like to thank all the artist for their incredibly
work, all the themes are awesome and how we all vote comes more as
personal preference. In case you don't get voted for, please let this
not discourage you and please take part in designing themes for Wheezy
(7.0).

I would like to give my votes to:

1. Ciel

Mostly because it's so clean and smooth, IMHO would perfectly fit in
both professional and private environments. I like color balance,
mixture of blue and gray.

Even tho there are things I would change with it, for example icons?
Faenza maybe? But
then again I think using murrine is a great idea. In the end it just
looks really polished.

2.

SpaceFun

I love this theme because it's just so much fun :)

Reason its fun could also be its drawback since it might be "too much
fun" for professional environments, again I may be wrong because most
people could use some fun at their work place :)

I especially love the "Faenza" icon theme which I tried pushing into
Debian, but didn't make it because apparently it's not working right
on KDE.

In general I like everything about it except the Equinox as
Metacity and GTK, I think it would look much better with same concept
on Elementary Mod which I personally use: http://bit.ly/aZJLTp

I would even dare to say most effort was put into this theme, and this
theme has all the elements.

3.

lisp-machine

Now, if both Ciel or SpaceFun can't be chosen because they want to use
Murrine/Equinox for stability reasons, then obvious choice is to go
with is this theme.

However, in case this theme is chosen a lot of work should be done on
it, since it looks great but unfortunately it just looks unfinished
right now. This might be because it entered this whole contests last.

Personally I do believe we should go with alternatives for GTK such as
Murrine/Equinox/Elementary instead of just using "defaults"", in case
this was done changes wouldn't be that drastic, and in reality Debian
wouldn't move that much from "standards".

Maybe even mixture of all these themes could only make a perfect theme.

Adnan

@Adnan: Yes, Faenza Cupertino (the blue version) with perhaps the Clearlooks ReVamp theme would look gorgeous with Ciel. But I entered the theme challenge after the freeze, so no theme change, let alone with icons and themes which have to enter Sid first... Which is good! I like that things are not rushed here... Maybe in Wheezy... :)

On 9 November 2010 19:39, Adnan Hodzic <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

> /Sune
>  - who really likes what the kde artists produces

Re: Squeeze Artwork: selection of default theme

Yves-Alexis Perez-2
On sam., 2010-11-06 at 03:33 +0100, Yves-Alexis Perez wrote:

> so here we are, we have four themes submitted to the Squeeze artwork
> contest (http://wiki.debian.org/DebianDesktopArtworkSqueeze):
>
> * Nightly: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/Nightly
> * SpaceFun: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/SpaceFun
> * Ciel: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/debian-ciel (with a
> discreet variant)
> * Lisp Machine: http://wiki.debian.org/DebianArt/Themes/lisp-machine
> (with multiple colors)
>
> The four of them should be included in debian-desktop package
> (wallpaper, gdm/slim/kdm themes, splash screen), but one should be
> selected to be the default Squeeze artwork.
Ok, using a quick & dirty by-hand condorcet method, it seems that the
winner is SpaceFun. I'm gonna start integrating the elements we have
right now, and maybe call for help for the missing stuff later.

Again, thanks and congratulations for all the themes.

Yves-Alexis