Strange behaviour with gigabit ethernet

Andrew Ingram
Hi List!

I recently upgraded my home network to gigabit ethernet, replacing my old
10/100hub with a Netgear gigabit switch.

I was doing some transfer speed experiements between my Linux machine and my
windows machine, copying things to and from a samba share and I ran into some
problems.

Basically, copying FROM the samba share onto the windows box was like
lightning, as expected. However, copying TO the samba share from the windows
box was pathetic (something which took 6 minutes to transfer from the share
was going to take 200minutes to put back!).

I looked at dmesg and noticed lots of:
eth1: -- ERROR --
        Class:  Hardware failure
         Nr:  0x26f
         Msg:  FIFO overflow error

Does anyone know what this means?

The box is a Sid box, running a Debian 2.6.12 kernel and the ethernet card is
a (from lspci):
Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 10/100/1000Base-T [Marvell]
using the sk98lin kernel module.

When the module is loaded on bootup, it ouputs:
 eth1: network connection up using port A
     speed:           1000
     autonegotiation: yes
     duplex mode:     full
     flowctrl:        symmetric
     role:            master
     irq moderation:  disabled
     scatter-gather:  enabled

I'm hoping that I just need to pass some extra parameters to the module, but
any advice would be very welcome. I've tried googling but not found anything.
One thing that has occurred to me just as I type this is that I am using some
new cat 6 cable; could this error be caused by a bad cable?

Thanks,
Andrew

Re: Strange behaviour with gigabit ethernet

Dexter-13
Hi,
i`ve not much idea about this, but i`d check if windows ethernet card
has aslo 1G speed. "FIFO overflow error" sound like somebody is pushing
more, then somebody else is able to receive.
Was speed of the copying Samba -> Windows realy 1G speed? Or just 100M?
If it was 1G speed, than you should have copied 1 000 000 000 b * 360 s
=360 000 000 000 b= 45 000 000 000 B= 45 GB.
If it was just 100M speed, than you have copied just 4,5GB.
  Dexter

On Mon, 2006-01-30 at 12:21 +0000, Andrew Ingram wrote:

> Hi List!
>
> I recently upgraded my home network to gigabit ethernet, replacing my old
> 10/100hub with a Netgear gigabit switch.
>
> I was doing some transfer speed experiements between my Linux machine and my
> windows machine, copying things to and from a samba share and I ran into some
> problems.
>
> Basically, copying FROM the samba share onto the windows box was like
> lightning, as expected. However, copying TO the samba share from the windows
> box was pathetic (something which took 6 minutes to transfer from the share
> was going to take 200minutes to put back!).
>
> I looked at dmesg and noticed lots of:
> eth1: -- ERROR --
>         Class:  Hardware failure
>          Nr:  0x26f
>          Msg:  FIFO overflow error
>
> Does anyone know what this means?
>
> The box is a Sid box, running a Debian 2.6.12 kernel and the ethernet card is
> a (from lspci):
> Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 10/100/1000Base-T [Marvell]
> using the sk98lin kernel module.
>
> When the module is loaded on bootup, it ouputs:
>  eth1: network connection up using port A
>      speed:           1000
>      autonegotiation: yes
>      duplex mode:     full
>      flowctrl:        symmetric
>      role:            master
>      irq moderation:  disabled
>      scatter-gather:  enabled
>

> I'm hoping that I just need to pass some extra parameters to the module, but
> any advice would be very welcome. I've tried googling but not found anything.
> One thing that has occurred to me just as I type this is that I am using some
> new cat 6 cable; could this error be caused by a bad cable?
>
> Thanks,
> Andrew

Re: Strange behaviour with gigabit ethernet

Joseph H. Fry
On Monday 30 January 2006 7:21 am, Andrew Ingram wrote:

> Hi List!
>
> I recently upgraded my home network to gigabit ethernet, replacing my old
> 10/100hub with a Netgear gigabit switch.
>
> I was doing some transfer speed experiements between my Linux machine and
> my windows machine, copying things to and from a samba share and I ran into
> some problems.
>
> Basically, copying FROM the samba share onto the windows box was like
> lightning, as expected. However, copying TO the samba share from the
> windows box was pathetic (something which took 6 minutes to transfer from
> the share was going to take 200minutes to put back!).
>
> I looked at dmesg and noticed lots of:
> eth1: -- ERROR --
>         Class:  Hardware failure
>          Nr:  0x26f
>          Msg:  FIFO overflow error
>
> Does anyone know what this means?
>
> The box is a Sid box, running a Debian 2.6.12 kernel and the ethernet card
> is a (from lspci):
> Ethernet controller: 3Com Corporation 3c940 10/100/1000Base-T [Marvell]
> using the sk98lin kernel module.
>
> When the module is loaded on bootup, it ouputs:
>  eth1: network connection up using port A
>      speed:           1000
>      autonegotiation: yes
>      duplex mode:     full

Are you sure your switch supports full duplex?

Joe

On Monday 30 January 2006 7:22 pm, Dexter wrote:

> Hi,
> i`ve not much idea about this, but i`d check if windows ethernet card
> has aslo 1G speed. "FIFO overflow error" sound like somebody is pushing
> more, then somebody else is able to receive.
> Was speed of the copying Samba -> Windows realy 1G speed? Or just 100M?
> If it was 1G speed, than you should have copied 1 000 000 000 b * 360 s
> =360 000 000 000 b= 45 000 000 000 B= 45 GB.
> If it was just 100M speed, than you have copied just 4,5GB.
>   Dexter

Hi Dexter,

yes, the windows card has 1GB speed. I bought it especially for it, and it
shows under the network connections window as "1.0Gb".

Samba to Windows wasn't full 1gb speed (which I think is quite hard to achieve
in real life), but was certainly over 100mb speed, I can guarentee that,

Regards,
Andrew

Re: Strange behaviour with gigabit ethernet

Andrew Ingram

> Are you sure your switch supports full duplex?

Hi Joe,

yes, I believe it is full duplex. It is a Netgear GS108 and says it can handle
2Gb/s on each port. Also, during the transfer from Windows -> Samba share,
nothing was going in the other direction anyway, and it actually sped up when
I set a second transfer in the same direction.

BTW, I did try a second cable last night to see if that was the problem and it
wasn't :(

Regards,
Andrew