Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu

Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu

bent.

Hi,

In Stretch, I'd like to use WICD to manage network interfaces,
but when I go through what had been my usual menu with Jessie
(Programs > Applications > network > Monitoring > WICD), there's
no Monitoring > WICD.

How do I access and, thus, launch WICD?

Thanks,

b.

Resolved [was Re: Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu]

bent.
On Sun, Jun 18, 2017 at 05:24:52PM -0600, pplaw wrote:

> Hi,
>
> In Stretch, I'd like to use WICD to manage network interfaces,
> but when I go through what had been my usual menu with Jessie
> (Programs > Applications > network > Monitoring > WICD), there's
> no Monitoring > WICD.
>
> How do I access and, thus, launch WICD?
>
> Thanks,
>
> b.

I just noticed Desktop Apps > Network > WICD

(Stretch is going to take some getting used to. . . .)

Sorry for the noise.

b.

Re: Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu

Lisi Reisz
On Monday 19 June 2017 00:24:52 pplaw wrote:
> Hi,
>
> In Stretch, I'd like to use WICD to manage network interfaces,
> but when I go through what had been my usual menu with Jessie
> (Programs > Applications > network > Monitoring > WICD), there's
> no Monitoring > WICD.
>
> How do I access and, thus, launch WICD?

You don't say what Desktop Environment you are using, but on many, alt-F2 will
bring up a launcher.  You then type wicd and press enter.  Alternatively,
open a terminal and type wicd.

You do know that you have got WICD?  I always have to install it separately
(having removed NM).

Lisi

Re: Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu

Brian
On Mon 19 Jun 2017 at 11:38:28 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 19 June 2017 00:24:52 pplaw wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > In Stretch, I'd like to use WICD to manage network interfaces,
> > but when I go through what had been my usual menu with Jessie
> > (Programs > Applications > network > Monitoring > WICD), there's
> > no Monitoring > WICD.
> >
> > How do I access and, thus, launch WICD?
>
> You don't say what Desktop Environment you are using, but on many, alt-F2 will
> bring up a launcher.  You then type wicd and press enter.  Alternatively,
> open a terminal and type wicd.
>
> You do know that you have got WICD?  I always have to install it separately
> (having removed NM).

If wicd is installed, wouldn't the daemon be running? wicd-gtk,
wicd-curses or wicd-cli would be typed?

On Monday 19 June 2017 12:09:59 Brian wrote:

> On Mon 19 Jun 2017 at 11:38:28 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Monday 19 June 2017 00:24:52 pplaw wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > In Stretch, I'd like to use WICD to manage network interfaces,
> > > but when I go through what had been my usual menu with Jessie
> > > (Programs > Applications > network > Monitoring > WICD), there's
> > > no Monitoring > WICD.
> > >
> > > How do I access and, thus, launch WICD?
> >
> > You don't say what Desktop Environment you are using, but on many, alt-F2
> > will bring up a launcher.  You then type wicd and press enter.
> > Alternatively, open a terminal and type wicd.
> >
> > You do know that you have got WICD?  I always have to install it
> > separately (having removed NM).
>
> If wicd is installed, wouldn't the daemon be running? wicd-gtk,
> wicd-curses or wicd-cli would be typed?

I just type wicd in the launcher - YMMV.  (Bad habits, old dogs .. I'm sure
lots of them apply. :-(  )

Lisi

On Mon 19 Jun 2017 at 13:00:05 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Monday 19 June 2017 12:09:59 Brian wrote:

> > > You don't say what Desktop Environment you are using, but on many, alt-F2
> > > will bring up a launcher.  You then type wicd and press enter.
> > > Alternatively, open a terminal and type wicd.
> > >
> > > You do know that you have got WICD?  I always have to install it
> > > separately (having removed NM).
> >
> > If wicd is installed, wouldn't the daemon be running? wicd-gtk,
> > wicd-curses or wicd-cli would be typed?
>
> I just type wicd in the launcher - YMMV.  (Bad habits, old dogs .. I'm sure
> lots of them apply. :-(  )

The advice at

  https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd

differs. Outdated? Incorrect?

Re: Stretch--how to launch WICD, which isn't in the menu

Rick Thomas-14

On 06/19/17 05:14, Brian wrote:

> The advice at
>
>   https://wiki.debian.org/WiFi/HowToUse#Wicd
>
> ... Outdated? Incorrect?

At the least, it hasn't been updated for systemd.

Rick