Success with Motorola Powerstack II

Christian Walther-2
Hi list,

I found a thread concerning installing Debian on a Motorola Powerstack
II from December last year in the archives. Since I have one of those
machines here I tried to install Debian on it. (One reason being to
have another machine to check my firewire HDD with - read my previous
post "Firewire HDD on Umax Pulsar not recognised".)

The installation works very well, booting from a tftp-Server is no
problem, partitioning the disks is none, too. I used the "Guided
Partitioning - Entire disk using LVM" method and the Debian-Installer
created and configured a PReP Boot Partition (8 Megs).

Firewire is working, too. ;-)

Regards
Christian

Re: Success with Motorola Powerstack II

Sven Luther
On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:26:29AM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:

> Hi list,
>
> I found a thread concerning installing Debian on a Motorola Powerstack
> II from December last year in the archives. Since I have one of those
> machines here I tried to install Debian on it. (One reason being to
> have another machine to check my firewire HDD with - read my previous
> post "Firewire HDD on Umax Pulsar not recognised".)
>
> The installation works very well, booting from a tftp-Server is no
> problem, partitioning the disks is none, too. I used the "Guided
> Partitioning - Entire disk using LVM" method and the Debian-Installer
> created and configured a PReP Boot Partition (8 Megs).
>
> Firewire is working, too. ;-)

Cool, you used an etch installer,did you not.

Would you care to review the installation manual in order to see that what you
did is well documented, and submit a bug report if there are troubles, or even
a patch ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

On 02/03/07, Sven Luther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:26:29AM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:
> > Hi list,

[...]
> Cool, you used an etch installer,did you not.

I forgot to mention, but you're right, yes I did.

> Would you care to review the installation manual in order to see that what you
> did is well documented, and submit a bug report if there are troubles, or even
> a patch ?

I'll try to do so in the next few days. I've to admit that I normally
don't look at the manual because I know D-I for quite some time.

There is just one thing that comes to my mind, but it's a minor issue:
Sometimes the Installer displays rubbish on screen, for example in the
overview screen of the partitioner. I used LVM and behind the usage
information of each partition there are several characters that should
be blank, but aren't.
Looks as if the Installer tries to display characters that are either
not defined by the console font or are located in an uninitialised
memory block.
I might be able to provide a screen shot later on.

On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:00:09PM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:

> On 02/03/07, Sven Luther <[hidden email]> wrote:
> >On Fri, Mar 02, 2007 at 10:26:29AM +0100, Christian Walther wrote:
> >> Hi list,
> >>
> [...]
> >
> >Cool, you used an etch installer,did you not.
>
> I forgot to mention, but you're right, yes I did.
> >
> >Would you care to review the installation manual in order to see that what
> >you
> >did is well documented, and submit a bug report if there are troubles, or
> >even
> >a patch ?
>
> I'll try to do so in the next few days. I've to admit that I normally
> don't look at the manual because I know D-I for quite some time.

Cool.

> There is just one thing that comes to my mind, but it's a minor issue:
> Sometimes the Installer displays rubbish on screen, for example in the
> overview screen of the partitioner. I used LVM and behind the usage
> information of each partition there are several characters that should
> be blank, but aren't.
> Looks as if the Installer tries to display characters that are either
> not defined by the console font or are located in an uninitialised
> memory block.
> I might be able to provide a screen shot later on.

Could you file a bug report against partman about this ?

Friendly,

Sven Luther

Re: Success with Motorola Powerstack II

Alexander Baldeck
Christian Walther wrote:
> The installation works very well, booting from a tftp-Server is no
> problem, partitioning the disks is none, too. I used the "Guided
> Partitioning - Entire disk using LVM" method and the Debian-Installer
> created and configured a PReP Boot Partition (8 Megs).
>
> Firewire is working, too. ;-)

I've been fighting with this machine up until a few weeks ago. After
serious problems regarding the zImage build process in vanilla linux
later than 2.6.8, I finally were successful booting 2.6.20 and 2.6.20.1
which my machines run on now.

One thing I found out is that the ALSA sound module does not work at
all. Luckily OSS is still in the kernel and so I used its equivalent.

This might help getting it to work on vanilla kernels:
cat "options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3" >> /etc/modprobe.conf

Still, X doesn't come up as it can't find any gpu card I throw at it no
matter into which slot. I doubt this is a hardware limitation. fbdev
doesn't do anything either but the Cirrus gpu - removed BIOS chip from
the card - that is in in right now works with cirrusfb at least on the
terminal.

If you plan to run X too and get it working, I would be overjoyed to
hear how. :)

Cheers,

Alex

Re: Success with Motorola Powerstack II

Sven Luther-6
On Fri, Mar 09, 2007 at 07:04:56PM +0100, Alexander Baldeck wrote:

> Christian Walther wrote:
> >The installation works very well, booting from a tftp-Server is no
> >problem, partitioning the disks is none, too. I used the "Guided
> >Partitioning - Entire disk using LVM" method and the Debian-Installer
> >created and configured a PReP Boot Partition (8 Megs).
> >
> >Firewire is working, too. ;-)
> >

> I've been fighting with this machine up until a few weeks ago. After
> serious problems regarding the zImage build process in vanilla linux
> later than 2.6.8, I finally were successful booting 2.6.20 and 2.6.20.1
> which my machines run on now.
>
> One thing I found out is that the ALSA sound module does not work at
> all. Luckily OSS is still in the kernel and so I used its equivalent.
>
> This might help getting it to work on vanilla kernels:
> cat "options cs4232 io=0x530 irq=5 dma=1 dma2=3" >> /etc/modprobe.conf
>
> Still, X doesn't come up as it can't find any gpu card I throw at it no
> matter into which slot. I doubt this is a hardware limitation. fbdev
> doesn't do anything either but the Cirrus gpu - removed BIOS chip from
> the card - that is in in right now works with cirrusfb at least on the
> terminal.
>
> If you plan to run X too and get it working, I would be overjoyed to
> hear how. :)

You could try the fbdev druver to X.

Friendly,

Sven Luther