Suggestion for 2.6.15 or greater kernel revision

Suggestion for 2.6.15 or greater kernel revision

Mark Allyn-2
Hello:

I would like to make a suggestion regarding the configuration of
any kernel that is of revision 2.6.15 or greater.

The suggestion is that I would like you to please have the
kernel configured so that the SATA ATAPI support is on by
default.

Currently, the 2.6.15 general kernel from www.kernel.org
has the default for the SATA ATAPI support set to off.

I feel this needs to be changed because there is the
possibility that some newer systems will have only a
serial SATA ATAPI CD-ROM drive and not a PATA (IDE)
CD-ROM drive.

In order to be able to install Debian on a system with
a SATA ATAPI CD-ROM drive, you would need to have both
the installer kernel as well as the operating kernel
configured with the SATA ATAPI support set to on.

The SATA ATAPI support is set by a variable that is set
in the drivers/scsi/libata-core.c file. The variable,
atapi_enabled, is set in line 81. Currently the line is:

int atapi_enabled = 0;

It should be:

int atapi_enabled = 1;

Thank you.

Truly,

Mark Allyn

Re: Suggestion for 2.6.15 or greater kernel revision

Maximilian Attems-3
On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 11:34:16AM -0800, Allyn, Mark A wrote:

> The suggestion is that I would like you to please have the
> kernel configured so that the SATA ATAPI support is on by
> default.

<snipp longrant>

we'll change it once upstream considers the support to be stable.

--
maks