System Only Recognizes up to 1GB RAM

kabarsedge

The specs:  HP DX5150 single core AMD64 Athlon 3000 processor on ATI RS480
chipset,1.5 GB PC3200 RAM, Debian Linux Etch (Testing/32 bit), 2.6.15-1
kernel, EVGA nVidia 6600 LE 256MB video card, 80GB 7200 RPM SATA HDD

I have 5 different systems with very similar setups, some dual core,
some single, but all on the same chipset running 32 bit Debian Etch
linux with the 2.6.15 kernel (I think one might have the 2.6.12 kernel).  All of them, no matter the
configuration, only sees up to 1GB ram.  I have 1.5GB in one, and 2GB
in another, all say they only have 1GB.  when I try more than 1GB in
the other machines, same results.  Can anyone please help me?

Thanks,

Mark

"Knowledge is power and I like power." Cobra Bubbles, Lilo & Stitch

Re: System Only Recognizes up to 1GB RAM

Matthew R. Dempsky
On Sat, May 13, 2006 at 11:46:34AM -0400, Mark R. White wrote:
> I have 5 different systems with very similar setups, some dual core,
> some single, but all on the same chipset running 32 bit Debian Etch
> linux with the 2.6.15 kernel (I think one might have the 2.6.12 kernel).

I presume there's a reason you're using Debian's i386 port instead of
their amd64 port?

> All of them, no matter the
> configuration, only sees up to 1GB ram.  I have 1.5GB in one, and 2GB
> in another, all say they only have 1GB.  when I try more than 1GB in
> the other machines, same results.  Can anyone please help me?

Which linux-image package do you have installed?  You need one with
highmem support enabled, which should include the -686 and -k7 packages.
(I would suspect you have the -386 package installed.)

Re: System Only Recognizes up to 1GB RAM

Martin A. Brooks-3
Mark R. White wrote:
>  Can anyone please help me?

You need a kernel with highmem support included.  It may be easiest
simply to roll your own.

Regards

--

 Martin A. Brooks |  http://www.antibodymx.net/ | Anti-spam & anti-virus
    Consultant    |  [hidden email]      | filtering. Inoculate

Re: System Only Recognizes up to 1GB RAM

Roberto C. Sanchez
Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> Mark R. White wrote:
>
>>  Can anyone please help me?
>

> You need a kernel with highmem support included.  It may be easiest
> simply to roll your own.

Actually, it would be easiest to install a -686, -k7, -k8 kernel or
something like that.  It is only the -386 kernels (default for install I
believe) which don't have it.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez
http://familiasanchez.net/~roberto

Re: System Only Recognizes up to 1GB RAM

anoop aryal
On Saturday 13 May 2006 11:36, Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:

> Martin A. Brooks wrote:
> > Mark R. White wrote:
> >>  Can anyone please help me?
> >
> > You need a kernel with highmem support included.  It may be easiest
> > simply to roll your own.
>
> Actually, it would be easiest to install a -686, -k7, -k8 kernel or
> something like that.  It is only the -386 kernels (default for install I
> believe) which don't have it.

the -686 has support for up to 4GB. if you need more, you need to roll your
own.

--

anoop aryal