TV tuner in LINUX

Augusto.Sanabria

Good day everyone,

Has anyone got experience installing
a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
Is it possible to receive a TV program
using the tuner and store it in the hard
disk for later viewing?

What kind of software do you need to do it
(assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
in your PC)?

Cheers,

Augusto

--------------------------------------
Augusto Sanabria. MSc, PhD.
Mathematical Modeller
Risk Research Group
Geospatial & Earth Monitoring Division
Geoscience Australia (www.ga.gov.au)
Cnr. Jerrabomberra Av. & Hindmarsh Dr.
Symonston ACT 2609
Ph. (02) 6249-9155

Re: TV tuner in LINUX

Oliver Lupton
On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:56:56 +1100
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day everyone,
>
> Has anyone got experience installing
> a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
> Is it possible to receive a TV program
> using the tuner and store it in the hard
> disk for later viewing?
>
> What kind of software do you need to do it
> (assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
> in your PC)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Augusto
I haven't tried it myself *yet*, but http://www.mythtv.org/ may be the kind of software you're looking from, there are links from that site to more general linux + tv sites as well.

HTH

-ol

--
I will live forever, or die trying.

Re: TV tuner in LINUX

Eric Brown-7
On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 01:33 +0000, Oliver Lupton wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:56:56 +1100
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

> > Good day everyone,
> >
> > Has anyone got experience installing
> > a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
> > Is it possible to receive a TV program
> > using the tuner and store it in the hard
> > disk for later viewing?
> >
> > What kind of software do you need to do it
> > (assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
> > in your PC)?
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Augusto
>
> I haven't tried it myself *yet*, but http://www.mythtv.org/ may be the kind of software you're looking from, there are links from that site to more general linux + tv sites as well.
>
> HTH
>
> -ol

It's pretty easy to add a tuner to your linux machine.  There are many
applications for watching tv.  I have been using mythtv for a while and
recommend it for recording tv, playing music and movies etc.

Eric

Re: TV tuner in LINUX

Christophe de Livois
Hello,

I have been using a tuner TV for 5 years with Linux. It works perfectly.
The kernel must be compiled with the good options (it is the case for
Debian).

I use xawtv and xawdecode.

Haven't tried recording, though.

Christophe

--
monys.livois.com

Eric Brown a écrit :

>On Fri, 2006-01-27 at 01:33 +0000, Oliver Lupton wrote:
>

>>On Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:56:56 +1100
>><[hidden email]> wrote:
>>

>>>Good day everyone,
>>>
>>>Has anyone got experience installing
>>>a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
>>>Is it possible to receive a TV program
>>>using the tuner and store it in the hard
>>>disk for later viewing?
>>>
>>>What kind of software do you need to do it
>>>(assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
>>>in your PC)?
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>>
>>>Augusto
>>>

>>I haven't tried it myself *yet*, but http://www.mythtv.org/ may be the kind of software you're looking from, there are links from that site to more general linux + tv sites as well.
>>
>>HTH
>>
>>-ol
>>

>It's pretty easy to add a tuner to your linux machine.  There are many
>applications for watching tv.  I have been using mythtv for a while and
>recommend it for recording tv, playing music and movies etc.
>
>Eric

Re: TV tuner in LINUX

Philip Stubbs

Good day everyone,

Has anyone got experience installing
a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
Is it possible to receive a TV program
using the tuner and store it in the hard
disk for later viewing?

What kind of software do you need to do it
(assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
in your PC)?

Cheers,

Augusto
Hi,

I have a USB digital terestial TV reciever from Twinham. It works just fine with xine and mythtv. I have only just started to use mythtv but am really impressed with what I have seen so far.

Check out http://www.linuxtv.org
Philip Stubbs

Re: TV tuner in LINUX

Ognjen Bezanov
Philip Stubbs wrote:

> On 1/27/06, *[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>* <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Good day everyone,
>
>     Has anyone got experience installing
>     a TV tuner to a LINUX machine?
>     Is it possible to receive a TV program
>     using the tuner and store it in the hard
>     disk for later viewing?
>
>     What kind of software do you need to do it
>     (assuming you have a TV tuner and a DVD burner
>     in your PC)?
>
>     Cheers,
>
>     Augusto
>
> Hi,
>
> I have a USB digital terestial TV reciever from Twinham. It works just
> fine with xine and mythtv. I have only just started to use mythtv but
> am really impressed with what I have seen so far.
>
> Check out http://www.linuxtv.org
> --
> Philip Stubbs

I use a Hauppauge WinPC TV Tuner card (bt848 chip) with opensource bt848
driver and tvtime.

tvtime is a linux tv-viewer/capture utility. It is for general purpose
viewing and capturing, rather then PVR functionality such as MythTV.

Also, if you want high quality capture, you can use mplayers encoder
(mencoder) with something like this:

mencoder v4l://[chan] -options

but I am rusty as I havent done it in a while (used it to transfer VHS
tapes to DivX a few years ago).