Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Carlos-9
Hey guys,

the new Talos II is available for pre-order. I think, it’s a really sweet price.
Mainboard + CPU for 2300€

https://secure.raptorcs.com

ATM I’m using a Powerbook 12“ 1.5GHz and also still waiting for the GNU/Linux PowerPC notebook.

But I think, the Talos could be my next computer :-)
Carlos

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

richard kuenz-3
Hei

I am also hoping to buy one of those.
In the meantime i am trying to find out how to add a printer in Debian Jessie for Powerpc. Could someone help me please?
.

Thanks

Richie

Von meinem iPad gesendet

> Am 08.08.2017 um 14:58 schrieb Carlos <[hidden email]>:
>
> Hey guys,
>
> the new Talos II is available for pre-order. I think, it’s a really sweet price.
> Mainboard + CPU for 2300€
>
> https://secure.raptorcs.com
>
> ATM I’m using a Powerbook 12“ 1.5GHz and also still waiting for the GNU/Linux PowerPC notebook.
>
> But I think, the Talos could be my next computer :-)
> Carlos

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 08/08/2017 10:43 AM, Richard Kuenz wrote:
> In the meantime i am trying to find out how to add a printer in
> Debian Jessie for Powerpc. Could someone help me please?

Please start a separate discussion thread for that.

Thank you!

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Chaos Wombat
I'm seeing a price of $2,300 in the U.S.

But the exchange rate is 1 US dollar = 0.852 euros, so that's only 1959€.

Is that price including VAT?  If not, they're gouging you.  If so, your
government is gouging you.  Either way, have someone in the U.S. order
it for you.

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Carlos-9
AFAIK, the US prices are always without taxes.
Don’t forget the import tax, you have to pay. For Germany 19%, if I’m right.

You can try, to let send the POWER9 system from a private person to the EU. But if this fails, you have to pay also a tax penalty, AFAIK.

Additional informations about the system:

- E-ATX (12“ x 13“) mainboard
- With the 3U HSF assemblies, noise is very low.
- Power consumption of the POWER9 is far less than POWER8
- If you buy the Dual CPU bundle, the PSU needs a dual EPS 12V connector
- no mini PCIe slot
- No M2 slot
- 1x OCuLink port (what is this?)
- 6x 4-pin fan connectors on the mainboard
- To provide maximal PCIe bandwidth for all peripherals, each slot is serviced by a dedicated CPU. As such, two CPUs are required to activate all PCIe slots

Important note:
Pre-order is required. They will watching the outcome of this preorder process, i.e. whether there is enough expected demand to expand further into OpenPOWER-based libre-friendly
systems or if they end up going a different direction entirely.

The shipping costs with „United States Postal Service Priority International"
Single CPU bundle: 110$
The whole system cannot be delivered: „Shipper cannot accept package“

I think, I will pre-order the Single CPU bundle :-)

On 08/11/2017 07:26 AM, Chaos Wombat wrote:
> Is that price including VAT?  If not, they're gouging you.
> If so, your government is gouging you.

That "government gouging you" is called running a state and supporting
society. It's the job of the vendor to come up with a good price with
taxes included.

> Either way, have someone in the U.S. order it for you.

Which won't you help at all since the moment you bring anything you
bought abroad into your own country you will have to pay sales tax.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

On 08/11/2017 08:15 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> That "government gouging you" is called running a state and supporting
> society.

Most of that money is wasted and a lot of it is used for antisocial
purposes.  I can use it better for the good of society than they can. I
am not going to be terrorized by their threats of punishment into
automatic compliance.

>> Either way, have someone in the U.S. order it for you.
>
> Which won't you help at all since the moment you bring anything you
> bought abroad into your own country you will have to pay sales tax.

I guess you aren't trying to think about how to do it successfully.

End tangent.

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Lennart Sorensen
On Fri, Aug 11, 2017 at 04:46:50PM +0200, Carlos wrote:

> AFAIK, the US prices are always without taxes.
> Don’t forget the import tax, you have to pay. For Germany 19%, if I’m right.
>
> You can try, to let send the POWER9 system from a private person to the EU. But if this fails, you have to pay also a tax penalty, AFAIK.
>
> Additional informations about the system:
>
> - E-ATX (12“ x 13“) mainboard
> - With the 3U HSF assemblies, noise is very low.
> - Power consumption of the POWER9 is far less than POWER8
> - If you buy the Dual CPU bundle, the PSU needs a dual EPS 12V connector
> - no mini PCIe slot
> - No M2 slot
> - 1x OCuLink port (what is this?)

http://blog.fosketts.net/2017/06/22/what-is-oculink/

So PCIe over a cable, similar to what thunderbolt does.

Len Sorensen

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Badiane Ka
You should install CUPS in order to get use your printer.

On 08/11/2017 06:59 PM, Badiane Ka wrote:
> You should install CUPS in order to get use your printer.

Can you please not endorse people to hijack threads?
Also, I don't really see how printing problems are related to PowerPC.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
On 08/11/2017 06:59 PM, Badiane Ka wrote:
> You should install CUPS in order to get use your printer.

Can you please not endorse people to hijack threads?
Also, I don't really see how printing problems are related to PowerPC.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Talos™ II Secure Workstation Pre-Order

Carlos-9
A little update about the PCIe bandwidth:

I asked, if only one CPU is equipped, if only 1x PCIe x16 and 1x PCIe 8x is available.
He said, looks correct, but he will check this.

On 08/15/2017 01:14 PM, Carlos wrote:
> I asked, if only one CPU is equipped, if only 1x PCIe x16 and 1x PCIe 8x is available.

That primarily depends on the number of PCIe channels provided
by the CPU, so you should maybe check the datasheets.

Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz