Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Étienne Mollier
Greetings Mr. Gary Benson and Yözen Hernández,

I'm in the process of giving a hand to the Debian Med Team with
maintaining several applications for the Debian project.  In the
context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the need for easing access to
applications related to the medical field, notably virology, has
become dire, and there is a list of projects that has been
established by the Debian Med Team which is considered a
priority work, see:

    https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/COVID-19-Hackathon-packages-needing-work

So in this context, I've begun packaging VirusSeeker, initially
written in the Washington University in St. Louis, and this
program makes use of RepeatMasker for one of its processing
steps.  This program, in turn, depends on Tandem Repeats Finder.
However, the current licensing terms are making TRF incompatible
with integration into the main Debian repository, thus render
RepeatMasker and VirusSeeker both ineligible to it as well.

I was wondering if it were possible to open the source code of
TRF, and choose licensing terms that would be compatible with an
integration into Debian main repository, for instance by using
the GPL-3 or the MIT license, or whichever terms suits your
taste among the ones considered DFSG compatible:

    https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#DFSG-compatible_Licenses

In hope your licensing change will help us all moving forward,
Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
for the Debian Med Team <[hidden email]>

Re: Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Andreas Tille-5
Hi Étienne,

thanks a lot.  I've added another link at

    https://wiki.debian.org/DebianMed/SoftwareLiberation

named "COVID-19".  IMHO it would help if others in the team would
respond in the same line to support Étienne and make sure the authors
will really consider freeing their code.

Kind regards

       Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Étienne Mollier
Dear Gary,

This is amazing!  Thank you so much for your decision!
Yes please, let us know once the source code is available, so
the packaging of Tandem Repeats Finder can start.

Kind Regards,
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
for the Debian Med Team <[hidden email]>

Gary Benson, on 2020-05-09 16:32:03 -0400:

> Dear Étienne,
>
> I'm making TRF open source with an AGPL license.  Hopefully this
> will be completed in a week or two.
>
> I'll send a link to the github repository when it's ready.
>
> Sincerely,
> Gary Benson
>
> On 5/8/20 1:18 PM, Étienne Mollier wrote:
> > Greetings Mr. Gary Benson and Yözen Hernández,
> >
> > I'm in the process of giving a hand to the Debian Med Team with
> > maintaining several applications for the Debian project.  In the
> > context of the Covid-19 pandemic, the need for easing access to
> > applications related to the medical field, notably virology, has
> > become dire, and there is a list of projects that has been
> > established by the Debian Med Team which is considered a
> > priority work, see:
> >
> >     https://salsa.debian.org/med-team/community/2020-covid19-hackathon/-/wikis/COVID-19-Hackathon-packages-needing-work
> >
> > So in this context, I've begun packaging VirusSeeker, initially
> > written in the Washington University in St. Louis, and this
> > program makes use of RepeatMasker for one of its processing
> > steps.  This program, in turn, depends on Tandem Repeats Finder.
> > However, the current licensing terms are making TRF incompatible
> > with integration into the main Debian repository, thus render
> > RepeatMasker and VirusSeeker both ineligible to it as well.
> >
> > I was wondering if it were possible to open the source code of
> > TRF, and choose licensing terms that would be compatible with an
> > integration into Debian main repository, for instance by using
> > the GPL-3 or the MIT license, or whichever terms suits your
> > taste among the ones considered DFSG compatible:
> >
> >     https://wiki.debian.org/DFSGLicenses#DFSG-compatible_Licenses
> >
> > In hope your licensing change will help us all moving forward,
> > Kind Regards,

Re: Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Andreas Tille-5
Hi,

thanks also from me for the really good news.  We'll do our best to get
it packaged quickly.  This will open another set of important packages.

Kind regards

      Andreas.

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Andreas Tille-5
Hi again Gary,

I do not want to sound impatient.  I'm just drafting my talk for
MiniDebConf online which I will hold tomorrow.  I would like to report
about success of our sprint.  I would love to point to a repository with
freely licensed Tandem Repeats Finder if it exists.  So just not missing
some important outcome of our sprint.

So is there any progress from your side or should we keep on waiting
patiently?

http://fam-tille.de

Re: Tandem Repeats Finder License Terms

Andreas Tille-5
Hi again,

in my talk I simply assumed that Tandem Repeats Finder will be released
soon with a free license.  The Debian Med team is now running the second
COVID-19 sprint.  So more packaging power is available for this week and
it would be really great if you could put some part of it into trf.

Are there any stumbling stones with the free release?

Kind regards

      Andreas.

--
http://fam-tille.de