Tracking the next Stable release

Francisco M Neto-4
Greetings!

        Sometimes people ask me when is Debian going to release its next Stable;
that is not an easy answer, since it is not time-based but rather based on the
number of Release-Critical bugs.

        So I started thinking it would be nice to have a convenient way of
knowing how far along the process is, but the only way I found to do that was to
open https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/other/testing.html and check itevery time.

        Not anymore; I have concocted a small python script that retrieves the
page, parses it and posts it to twitter. Everyone is welcome to follow
(@debian_tracker), naturally; I've chosen 12:00 GMT as a standard time for daily
updates.

        Here's hoping at least some people find it useful.

https://twitter.com/debian_tracker

Cheers,
Francisco
--
[]'s,

Francisco M Neto

GPG: 4096R/D692FBF0

Re: Tracking the next Stable release

Peter Wiersig
Francisco M Neto <[hidden email]> writes:
> Sometimes people ask me when is Debian going to release its next Stable;
> that is not an easy answer, since it is not time-based but rather based on the
> number of Release-Critical bugs.

It's done when it's done and https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/
get's notified.  You'd probably want to subscribe there.

Peter

Re: Tracking the next Stable release

Jonathan Dowland
On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 05:42:46PM -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
>https://twitter.com/debian_tracker

Very nice, thanks for sharing!

--

⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁ Jonathan Dowland

Re: Tracking the next Stable release

Curt
On 2019-04-08, Peter Wiersig <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Francisco M Neto <[hidden email]> writes:
>> Sometimes people ask me when is Debian going to release its next Stable;
>> that is not an easy answer, since it is not time-based but rather based on the
>> number of Release-Critical bugs.
>
> It's done when it's done and https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/
> get's notified.  You'd probably want to subscribe there.

Left field, meet Pete.

> Peter

Re: Tracking the next Stable release

Mark Fletcher-2
On Mon, Apr 08, 2019 at 05:42:46PM -0300, Francisco M Neto wrote:
> Greetings!
>

> https://twitter.com/debian_tracker

Nice! What does the level of release-critical bugs need to fall to
before a release can happen -- it's not zero is it?

Mark

On Tue, 2019-04-09 at 23:47 +0900, Mark Fletcher wrote:
> https://twitter.com/debian_tracker
> >
> Nice! What does the level of release-critical bugs need to fall to
> before a release can happen -- it's not zero is it?

        There is no defined number, I think. If I'm not mistaken it happens when
the Release Team decides the bugs in that list - if any - are not relevant
enough to extend the freeze any longer.

On Tue, 2019-04-09 at 00:02 +0200, Peter Wiersig wrote:
> It's done when it's done and https://lists.debian.org/debian-announce/
> get's notified.  You'd probably want to subscribe there.

        I am subscribed there. Being notified of the release is not the point.

        Being aware of the progress towards it is.

--
[]'s,

Francisco M Neto

GPG: 4096R/D692FBF0

Re: Tracking the next Stable release

deloptes-2
Francisco M Neto wrote:

> There is no defined number, I think. If I'm not mistaken it happens when
> the Release Team decides the bugs in that list - if any - are not relevant
> enough to extend the freeze any longer

Is Buster in freeze now? If so I would rather start preparing for an
upgrade.

thanks

On Wed, 2019-04-10 at 22:59 +0200, deloptes wrote:
> Is Buster in freeze now? If so I would rather start preparing for an
> upgrade.

        Yes, the freeze began March 12.

Francisco M Neto wrote:

> Yes, the freeze began March 12.