Two newbie questions...

David BERCOT
Hi,

I have two questions on Gnome :
- first of all, how can I set an environment variable which is ok in
Gnome environment ? I thought that if I put it in the /etc/profile (for
example), it would be ok in Gnome. But, if I do a printenv, I can't see
it... Do you have a solution ?
- second, I'd like to launch applications in a maximised window mode.
How can I do this ?

Thank you very much.

David.

P.S. : is there a ml for this kind of questions ?

Re: Two newbie questions...

Josselin Mouette
Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 11:33 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have two questions on Gnome :
> - first of all, how can I set an environment variable which is ok in
> Gnome environment ? I thought that if I put it in the /etc/profile (for
> example), it would be ok in Gnome. But, if I do a printenv, I can't see
> it... Do you have a solution ?

There is a ~/.gnomerc file that allows to set such variables.

> - second, I'd like to launch applications in a maximised window mode.
> How can I do this ?

I guess it depends on the applications.
--
 .''`.
: :' :      We are debian.org. Lower your prices, surrender your code.
  `-        our own. Resistance is futile.

Re: Two newbie questions...

David BERCOT
Le Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:46:50 +0100,
Josselin Mouette <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 11:33 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have two questions on Gnome :
> > - first of all, how can I set an environment variable which is ok in
> > Gnome environment ? I thought that if I put it in the /etc/profile
> > (for example), it would be ok in Gnome. But, if I do a printenv, I
> > can't see it... Do you have a solution ?
>
> There is a ~/.gnomerc file that allows to set such variables.
OK. Nice. Thank you !!!
Now, after your answer, I made a new search on google with .gnomerc and
I've discovered than /etc/profile and ~/.profile and not loaded at the
gnome session startup. So, when theses scripts are really necessary ? I
don't understand why setting environment variables there is not ok...

> > - second, I'd like to launch applications in a maximised window
> > mode. How can I do this ?
>
> I guess it depends on the applications.

I've discovered the --geometry option. But I have problems with it. Is
it ok on all applications ? I suppose it should be ok with nautilus and
"classic" gnome applications but I have many problems...

Thank you very much.

David.

Re: Two newbie questions...

Bruno Muller
Hi,

Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 14:15 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> > > - second, I'd like to launch applications in a maximised window
> > > mode. How can I do this ?
> >
> > I guess it depends on the applications.
>
> I've discovered the --geometry option. But I have problems with it. Is
> it ok on all applications ? I suppose it should be ok with nautilus and
> "classic" gnome applications but I have many problems...

devilspie and/or wmctrl can help.

Bruno

Re: Two newbie questions...

David BERCOT
Hi,

Le Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:35:27 +0100,
Bruno Muller <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Hi,

> > > I guess it depends on the applications.
> >
> > I've discovered the --geometry option. But I have problems with it.
> > Is it ok on all applications ? I suppose it should be ok with
> > nautilus and "classic" gnome applications but I have many
> > problems...
>
> devilspie and/or wmctrl can help.
OK. I've installed devilspie and it's ok for all my needs !!!
It should be included in Gnome, no ;-)))

Thank you very much !!!

David.

Re: Two newbie questions...

Marco Cabizza-2
Il giorno sab, 13/01/2007 alle 11.09 +0100, David BERCOT ha scritto:
> OK. I've installed devilspie and it's ok for all my needs !!!
> It should be included in Gnome, no ;-)))

        The inclusion policy ( for the gnome* metapackages ) doesn't go further
than "what's in GNOME upstream".

Ciao
~marco

Re: Two newbie questions...

Jérôme Warnier
Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 14:15 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :

> Le Fri, 12 Jan 2007 11:46:50 +0100,
> Josselin Mouette <[hidden email]> a écrit :
>
> > Le vendredi 12 janvier 2007 à 11:33 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > I have two questions on Gnome :
> > > - first of all, how can I set an environment variable which is ok in
> > > Gnome environment ? I thought that if I put it in the /etc/profile
> > > (for example), it would be ok in Gnome. But, if I do a printenv, I
> > > can't see it... Do you have a solution ?
> >
> > There is a ~/.gnomerc file that allows to set such variables.
>
> OK. Nice. Thank you !!!
> Now, after your answer, I made a new search on google with .gnomerc and
> I've discovered than /etc/profile and ~/.profile and not loaded at the
> gnome session startup. So, when theses scripts are really necessary ? I
> don't understand why setting environment variables there is not ok...
Some strange people sometimes don't use GNOME in some countries...
;-)

[..]
--
Jérôme Warnier