Uh, translators won't be happy....

Christian Perrier
36 strings fuzzied because trailing double spaces in many strings have
been replaced by single spaces....expect tons of translation bug
reports coming in soon...

PS: the i18n in dpkg could be dramatically enhanced. There seems to be
lot of places where sentences are reconstructed from pieces which are
separated among different strings....which is, as all people working
in i18n will say, a very very bad idea.

Yet another thing on my giant TODO list but I'm unsure I'm able to do
it.

Re: Uh, translators won't be happy....

Frank Lichtenheld
On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:56:15PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> 36 strings fuzzied because trailing double spaces in many strings have
> been replaced by single spaces....expect tons of translation bug
> reports coming in soon...

Between when and when? I can't see find such changes...

Gruesse,
--
Frank Lichtenheld <[hidden email]>
www: http://www.djpig.de/

Re: Uh, translators won't be happy....

Ming Hua
I think something went wrong with the recent merging of PO files.  I
just downloaded the POT file from d-i i18n page [1], did a local
msgmerge for zh_CN translation, and didn't get double trailing spaces.
There is no such msgid changes in the POT file either.

Also, looking at the zh_CN PO file [2] from d-i i18n page which has
these many fuzzy strings, I can see the several comment lines that was
in the beginning of the file (started with # char) are concatenated to
one line now, so this is really a strange merge.  I hope running
msgmerge again can fix most of these new fuzzy strings.

(I am not subscribed to debian-dpkg, so cc: would be appreciated.)

1. http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/level4/POT/dpkg_po.pot
2. http://people.debian.org/~seppy/d-i/level4/files/zh_CN/dpkg_po_zh_CN.po

Ming
2006.01.22

Re: Uh, translators won't be happy....

Christian Perrier
Quoting Frank Lichtenheld ([hidden email]):
> On Sun, Jan 22, 2006 at 07:56:15PM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> > 36 strings fuzzied because trailing double spaces in many strings have
> > been replaced by single spaces....expect tons of translation bug
> > reports coming in soon...
>
> Between when and when? I can't see find such changes...

Well, I don't know. I don't run "make updatepo" that often.... So,
it's likely that some chnage by Scott went unnoticed by me in the
past.

Re: Uh, translators won't be happy....

Christian Perrier
Quoting Ming Hua ([hidden email]):

> I think something went wrong with the recent merging of PO files.  I
> just downloaded the POT file from d-i i18n page [1], did a local
> msgmerge for zh_CN translation, and didn't get double trailing spaces.
> There is no such msgid changes in the POT file either.
>
> Also, looking at the zh_CN PO file [2] from d-i i18n page which has
> these many fuzzy strings, I can see the several comment lines that was
> in the beginning of the file (started with # char) are concatenated to
> one line now, so this is really a strange merge.  I hope running
> msgmerge again can fix most of these new fuzzy strings.

I don't think so. Taking da.po as example, the fuzzy strings really
have now only one trailing space in msgid...while there are two in the
msgstr....

So, I'm afraid that these are real fuzzies because of a real change in
the POT after re-generating it....

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 06:37:44AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> Quoting Ming Hua ([hidden email]):
> > I think something went wrong with the recent merging of PO files.
>
> I don't think so. Taking da.po as example, the fuzzy strings really
> have now only one trailing space in msgid...while there are two in the
> msgstr....

But the point is, the msgid in dpkg.pot never changed in the SVN
archive, it has always been having only one trailing space...

> So, I'm afraid that these are real fuzzies because of a real change in
> the POT after re-generating it....

No.

I digged into the SVN archive a little bit more and had the following
findings:  Take the da.po for example, currently (r28) in the line
863-866, it has the following fuzzy string:

#: lib/showcright.c:33
#, fuzzy
msgid "cannot open GPL file "
msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil  "

But previously in r15, it has on line 867-869:

#: lib/showcright.c:33
msgid "cannot open GPL file "
msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil "

This msgid in POT file never changed.  So what happened?  There is only
one checkin for da.po between r15 and HEAD, r25, with the log "Correct
typo in dpkg help message (thanks Clytie) and unfuzzy translations", and
in the diff from r15 to r25:

 #: lib/showcright.c:33
-msgid "cannot open GPL file "
-msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil "
+msgid "cannot open GPL file  "
+msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil  "

Then in the diff from r25 to r28 (HEAD):

 #: lib/showcright.c:33
-msgid "cannot open GPL file  "
+#, fuzzy
+msgid "cannot open GPL file "
 msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil  "

So the checkin r25 messed up.  Looking at zh_CN.po, this r25 checkin
also broke the comment header format as I mentioned, and removed the
obselete translation entries at the end of the file (which is still
considered useful and kept there intentionally).  It would be nice to
fix those as well (not critical to zh_CN, as we have our seperate SVN
repo).

Christian, if you are too busy to fix this, I think I can help.  Also, a
mail to debian-i18n warning translators not to worry about dpkg
translation until this is sorted out would be good.

(not subscribed, would appreciate cc:)

Thanks,
Ming
2006.01.23

DO NOT try updating dpkg

Christian Perrier
> I digged into the SVN archive a little bit more and had the following
> findings:  Take the da.po for example, currently (r28) in the line
> 863-866, it has the following fuzzy string:
>
> #: lib/showcright.c:33
> #, fuzzy
> msgid "cannot open GPL file "
> msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil  "
>
> But previously in r15, it has on line 867-869:
>
> #: lib/showcright.c:33
> msgid "cannot open GPL file "
> msgstr "kan ikke åbne GPL-fil "
>
> This msgid in POT file never changed.  So what happened?  There is only
> one checkin for da.po between r15 and HEAD, r25, with the log "Correct
> typo in dpkg help message (thanks Clytie) and unfuzzy translations", and
> in the diff from r15 to r25:

Hmmm, right. So, actually, the tentative unfuzzification in r25 is the
culprit...:-(

Looks like msguntypot has some bug here.....

I'll probably then revert r25

dpkg l10n mess repaired

Christian Perrier
> Christian, if you are too busy to fix this, I think I can help.  Also, a
> mail to debian-i18n warning translators not to worry about dpkg
> translation until this is sorted out would be good.

I have fixed the problem. It appears that msguntypot was not really
good in trying to unfuzzy strings.

So, I reverted back to r15 for the PO files, then unfuzzied the files
(for the typo correction signalled by Clytie Siddall)
manually using the method I described in the developer's reference.

As a consequence, translators can now work again on dpkg but those who
had it 100% on Saturday don't have anything to do.