Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

rayj
Installing stretch stops at detecting network devices.  This is an attempt to install stretch over the top of Windows 10 on a Toshiba Radius 15 with 2 each USB2 ports and 2 each USB3 ports, and no RJ-45.  Its wireless is based upon the Intel 7265.

I tested this laptop with the latest Debian Live on a stick and all worked fine.  Now, I am attempting an installation of stretch from a stick.

Just before the presentation of the wireless list, the system reports the need to install non-free:
iwlwifi-7265D-9
iwlwifi-7265D-10
iwlwifi-7265D-11
iwlwifi-7265D-12
and asks for media.   [I have not been able to find those four specific files on the Internet.]  I have copied iwlwifi from Intel and from the Debian wiki on wifi and placed the tarred files on a FAT32 formated stick in the 'firmware' directory.  When I respond 'yes' to supplying the files, the screen blinks and returns - over and over again.  If I select no, it moves to the driver selection page.

The network card screen comes up, I select the Intel recommended firmware iwlsifi, but the page just recreates itself and waits for a new selection.  If I select either 'none' or 'not listed', the installation fails saying there is no network card.

I have obtained from Intel their suggestion as of Aug 2015:
iwlwifi-7265-ucode-25.30.14.0.tgz
I placed this on a USB stick in a subdirectory labeled 'firmware'.  This was built from Windows 7 on a FAT32 file system.

There is also a Dynadock docking station that connects to the Toshiba via a USB3 cable.  Besides video, USB,and audio, this has an Ethernet port.  I have tried this connected to the laptop but it also requires a driver.  I have placed that driver on the firmware directory of the USB also.

Are the four files listed above somehow inside the iwlwifi driver tgz?
Is there a way to get the docking station drive to load so I can use its Ethernet port?
I have used Rufus to build the stretch USB from Windows.
I do have a a Linux box I built with the same USB for stretch.  I would use it but so far, I only have a command line on it and I have not figured out how to access debian.org to download the installation files nor how to put that on the stick.

I would appreciate any comments.

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Sven Arvidsson
On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 04:48 -0700, ray wrote:
> Installing stretch stops at detecting network devices.  This is an
> attempt to install stretch over the top of Windows 10 on a Toshiba
> Radius 15 with 2 each USB2 ports and 2 each USB3 ports, and no RJ-45.
>   Its wireless is based upon the Intel 7265.

Hi,

It might be easier to simply use installation media with the firmware
included:

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

tomas@tuxteam.de

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

David Wright-3
Quoting ray ([hidden email]):

> Installing stretch stops at detecting network devices.  This is an attempt to install stretch over the top of Windows 10 on a Toshiba Radius 15 with 2 each USB2 ports and 2 each USB3 ports, and no RJ-45.  Its wireless is based upon the Intel 7265.
>
> I tested this laptop with the latest Debian Live on a stick and all worked fine.  Now, I am attempting an installation of stretch from a stick.
>
> Just before the presentation of the wireless list, the system reports the need to install non-free:
> iwlwifi-7265D-9
> iwlwifi-7265D-10
> iwlwifi-7265D-11
> iwlwifi-7265D-12
> and asks for media.   [I have not been able to find those four specific files on the Internet.]  I have copied iwlwifi from Intel and from the Debian wiki on wifi and placed the tarred files on a FAT32 formated stick in the 'firmware' directory.  When I respond 'yes' to supplying the files, the screen blinks and returns - over and over again.  If I select no, it moves to the driver selection page.
>
> The network card screen comes up, I select the Intel recommended firmware iwlsifi, but the page just recreates itself and waits for a new selection.  If I select either 'none' or 'not listed', the installation fails saying there is no network card.
>
> I have obtained from Intel their suggestion as of Aug 2015:
> iwlwifi-7265-ucode-25.30.14.0.tgz
> I placed this on a USB stick in a subdirectory labeled 'firmware'.  This was built from Windows 7 on a FAT32 file system.
>
> There is also a Dynadock docking station that connects to the Toshiba via a USB3 cable.  Besides video, USB,and audio, this has an Ethernet port.  I have tried this connected to the laptop but it also requires a driver.  I have placed that driver on the firmware directory of the USB also.
>
> Are the four files listed above somehow inside the iwlwifi driver tgz?

The contents are:

LICENSE.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
README.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode

You need to unpack with tar, and put these files themselves in your
firmware directory on the stick (rather than the whole archive).

Cheers,
David.

On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 7:20:04 AM UTC-5, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 04:48 -0700, ray wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It might be easier to simply use installation media with the firmware
> included:
>
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

Sven,

Thank you.  I downloaded the file, built the iso and ran it.  I get the same results as above.

I am wondering if I may be operating the GUI incorrectly.  The laptop has a very high resolution.  I have to magnify the scrren to read it.  I do not see the typical two bottons in the bottom right corner.  I may not be operating this correctly - or there are no buttons there at this stage.

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

rayj
>   /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7265D-10.ucode firmware-iwlwifi
>
> Thus the package "firmware-iwlwifi" might be what you need?
t--
I have directly loaded the .ucode file on a second USB stick.  There was not change in the system response.  Is there another method to do this?

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

rayj
> The contents are:
>
> LICENSE.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> README.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
> iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode
>
> You need to unpack with tar, and put these files themselves in your
> firmware directory on the stick (rather than the whole archive).

I placed these unpacked files in the 'firmware' directory of another stick.  I put both sticks in the laptop and started the installation.  There was no change in the result.

While the above method is what is suggested on the debian wiki, is there a way to put this file in the iso I have downloaded from the Debian site?

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

David Wright-3
Quoting ray ([hidden email]):

> > The contents are:
> >
> > LICENSE.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> > README.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> > iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
> > iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode
> >
> > You need to unpack with tar, and put these files themselves in your
> > firmware directory on the stick (rather than the whole archive).
>
> I placed these unpacked files in the 'firmware' directory of another stick.  I put both sticks in the laptop and started the installation.  There was no change in the result.

I don't know if this is still an issue: Leave out the firmware stick
until asked for. Switch to VC4 before plugging it in and note the
device name it uses, probably /dev/sdc or /dev/sdc1.
Then switch back to tell it to look for the formware. As it does so,
check on VC4 to make sure it looks at your stick.

Reasoning: there was an issue reported that it searched IIRC /dev/sdc
but not /dev/sdc1 (appropriate for a partitioned stick).

Cheers,
David.

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Lisi Reisz
On Tuesday 13 October 2015 01:50:53 ray wrote:

> > The contents are:
> >
> > LICENSE.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> > README.iwlwifi-7265-ucode
> > iwlwifi-7265-14.ucode
> > iwlwifi-7265D-14.ucode
> >
> > You need to unpack with tar, and put these files themselves in your
> > firmware directory on the stick (rather than the whole archive).
>
> I placed these unpacked files in the 'firmware' directory of another stick.
>  I put both sticks in the laptop and started the installation.  There was
> no change in the result.
>
> While the above method is what is suggested on the debian wiki, is there a
> way to put this file in the iso I have downloaded from the Debian site?

Why not just use

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

as Sven suggested?

Lisi

On Tuesday 13 October 2015 01:53:36 ray wrote:
> >   /lib/firmware/iwlwifi-7265D-10.ucode firmware-iwlwifi
> >
> > Thus the package "firmware-iwlwifi" might be what you need?
>
> t--
> I have directly loaded the .ucode file on a second USB stick.  There was
> not change in the system response.  Is there another method to do this?

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/

:-))

Lisi

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Manfred Constapel

i had the same issue on my laptp installing Wheezy.

Just put the .deb-file with containing .ucode (I assume it should be firmware-iwlwifi 0.44) to root on a second usb drive.

Then plug that usb drive to your machine after being asked to load firmware during the installation process.

Hope this helps.

MC

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Adam Wilson
On Mon, 12 Oct 2015 16:13:21 -0700 (PDT), ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Monday, October 12, 2015 at 7:20:04 AM UTC-5, Sven Arvidsson wrote:
> > On Mon, 2015-10-12 at 04:48 -0700, ray wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > It might be easier to simply use installation media with the firmware
> > included:
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmware/
> >
> Sven,
>
> Thank you.  I downloaded the file, built the iso and ran it.  I get the same
> results as above.

'built the iso'- what do you mean by this? I presume you meant 'wrote the iso'?

> I am wondering if I may be operating the GUI incorrectly.  The laptop has a
> very high resolution.  I have to magnify the scrren to read it.  I do not see
> the typical two bottons in the bottom right corner.  I may not be operating
> this correctly - or there are no buttons there at this stage.

I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'the GUI'- if you're using the
netinstall CD with non-free firmware as recommended by Sven, you should have a
text-based ncurses-based interface, as opposed to the graphical installer.

Your second suggestion I think is probably what actually happened. During the
'hardware detection' phase of the installation process (where as you noted,
there are indeed no buttons), it can sometimes hang for a bit, usually for a few
seconds. It can take up to a few minutes on some machines, though. Be patient.

I reported on that attempt yesterday - I obtained the same results as the free version.

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

rayj

> Reasoning: there was an issue reported that it searched IIRC /dev/sdc
> but not /dev/sdc1 (appropriate for a partitioned stick).
>
> Cheers,
> David.

I had tried inserting the stick (before I read your post), but did not know to check VC4.  Now when I check it, it is streaming errors continuously, each incrementing time.

I get an error about the mirror being bad.  I have tried several and it is the same error.  I think it is because I have not actually loaded iwlwifi and it is not finding any.

So I pulled the plug on that installation to follow your direction.  I get a new error window:
GNU GRUB version 2.02~beta2-26

When anything is selected for installation:

error: invalid sector size 0.
error: module 'gfxmenu' isn't loaded.

I am guessing this is due to the installation formating being incomplete.  At least Windows isn't popping up.

Not sure where to go from here.

On Tuesday 13 October 2015 15:07:29 ray wrote:

> > Why not just use
> >
> > http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/unofficial/non-free/cd-including-firmwa
> >re/
> >
> > as Sven suggested?
> >
> > Lisi
>
> I reported on that attempt yesterday - I obtained the same results as the
> free version.

Sorry, I can understand neither this nor the previous one to which you refer,
which I have only just seen.  (It must have been held up somewhere.)

This CD normally Just Works.

Can you describe what you do, including any checks you do and how you burn
your CD?

Another way I have used in the past to get past a troublesome WiFi card or
too-new Ethernet card, is to install an old Ethernet card temporarily to do
the installation, sort the drivers out once it is installed, then remove the
old card.

Lisi

Re: Unable to Install Stretch on Laptop, not Loading iwlwifi

Brian
On Tue 13 Oct 2015 at 16:30:23 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Another way I have used in the past to get past a troublesome WiFi card or
> too-new Ethernet card, is to install an old Ethernet card temporarily to do
> the installation, sort the drivers out once it is installed, then remove the
> old card.

Sound advice. But take notice of the evolving environment which Debian
has to cope with. For example, some netbooks and tablets have only one
USB port and that is occupied by the installer device. Furthermore, they
cannot generlly be prised apart to accomodate different hardware.

moxalt wrote:
> 'built the iso'- what do you mean by this? I presume you meant 'wrote the iso'?
Yes, you are correct, I wrote the iso to a USB stick.

> I'm not sure what you're referring to as 'the GUI'- if you're using the
> netinstall CD with non-free firmware as recommended by Sven, you should have a
> text-based ncurses-based interface, as opposed to the graphical installer.
The above reference was for the 'free' version.  I have not been able to get the non-free to boot.  I have wiped the Win OS and now it just says no bootable device.  So I will write to another stick and see it that works.

I will apply another dose of patience.  Thank you.

On Tuesday 13 October 2015 19:49:51 Brian wrote:

> On Tue 13 Oct 2015 at 16:30:23 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Another way I have used in the past to get past a troublesome WiFi card
> > or too-new Ethernet card, is to install an old Ethernet card temporarily
> > to do the installation, sort the drivers out once it is installed, then
> > remove the old card.
>
> Sound advice. But take notice of the evolving environment which Debian
> has to cope with. For example, some netbooks and tablets have only one
> USB port and that is occupied by the installer device. Furthermore, they
> cannot generlly be prised apart to accomodate different hardware.

Which is why I have used it in the past. ;-)

But I still can't understand what your problem with the non-free iso is.
First you appeared to say it was the same as the other (?) now you seem to
say that you haven't been able to try it.  (Why?)  I'm confused.

Lisi

I have used the non-free firmware on a separate USB stick and the results are the same as without it.  I have not yet tried this in text mode so I can check the VC4 output.  I have not been able to get the non-free iso to boot at all.  I am going to repeat the process and to see if the failure is repeatable.

On Tue, 13 Oct 2015 12:21:16 -0700 (PDT), ray <[hidden email]> wrote:

> The above reference was for the 'free' version.  I have not been able to get
> the non-free to boot.  I have wiped the Win OS and now it just says no
> bootable device.  So I will write to another stick and see it that works.

This seems very strange- if you are able to get the free version to boot you
should be able to get the non-free ISO to boot as well. They are identical,
save the inclusion of non-free firmware.

The 'no bootable device' message- does this occur when you select the hard
drive as the boot device, or the USB? The hard drive is understandable (since
there is no longer a boot loader or operating system on it) but this really
should not happen with the USB. Can you describe your BIOS settings to us?
UEFI, Secure Boot, CSM, that sort of thing.

I would also recommend you prepare the boot device with Rufus. It is by far the
best USB ISO writer for Windows. Pity you don't have access to a UNIX box with
dd...

> > Your second suggestion I think is probably what actually happened. During
> > the 'hardware detection' phase of the installation process (where as you
> > noted, there are indeed no buttons), it can sometimes hang for a bit,
> > usually for a few seconds. It can take up to a few minutes on some
> > machines, though. Be patient.
>
> I will apply another dose of patience.  Thank you.

Good luck.

12