Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
6 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

Peter Easthope
Can GIMP accept and display a Unicode glyph beyond plain old ASCII.  
The "South West Arrow", & # 2199; for example.  (Spaces inserted
after & and # to prevent interpretation.)

If so, how?

Thanks,          ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

deloptes-2
[hidden email] wrote:

> Can GIMP accept and display a Unicode glyph beyond plain old ASCII.
> The "South West Arrow", & # 2199; for example.  (Spaces inserted
> after & and # to prevent interpretation.)
>
> If so, how?
>
> Thanks,          ... P.

I don't see a problem - what DE are you using? Did you check your locales?

I open the char selector (each desktop I know has one) and select the char
to import - than copy/paste into the text box

utf-arrows.jpg (13K) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

Peter Easthope
In reply to this post by Peter Easthope
* From: deloptes
* Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 22:16:16 +0200
> what DE are you using?

LX

> I open the char selector (each desktop I know has one) and select the char
> to import - than copy/paste into the text box

Good idea.  Copy and paste the character; from the Web browser maybe.  
I was typing the character entity reference in the GIMP tool.

Thanks,             ... P.

--
https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Oberon
Tel: +1 604 670 0140            Bcc: peter at easthope. ca

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 02:04:21PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:

> * From: deloptes
> * Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 22:16:16 +0200
> > what DE are you using?
>
> LX
>
> > I open the char selector (each desktop I know has one) and select the char
> > to import - than copy/paste into the text box
>
> Good idea.  Copy and paste the character; from the Web browser maybe.  
> I was typing the character entity reference in the GIMP tool.
You might have more luck with the Unicode input method, CTRL-SHIFT-U, then
the hexadecimal code [1]

For characters you use often, you can set up a compose sequence.

Just ask :)

Cheers

[1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/185349/is-there-a-universal-way-to-write-unicode-characters

-- tomás

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

David Wright-3
On Wed 14 Aug 2019 at 23:44:31 (+0200), [hidden email] wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 02:04:21PM -0700, [hidden email] wrote:
> > * From: deloptes
> > * Date: Wed, 14 Aug 2019 22:16:16 +0200
> > > what DE are you using?
> >
> > LX
> >
> > > I open the char selector (each desktop I know has one) and select the char
> > > to import - than copy/paste into the text box
> >
> > Good idea.  Copy and paste the character; from the Web browser maybe.  
> > I was typing the character entity reference in the GIMP tool.
>
> You might have more luck with the Unicode input method, CTRL-SHIFT-U, then
> the hexadecimal code [1]
>
> For characters you use often, you can set up a compose sequence.
>
> Just ask :)

You're welcome to use anything from
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/07/msg00926.html
Most of the methods I see posted have limitations (like non-VC).

> [1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/185349/is-there-a-universal-way-to-write-unicode-characters

Cheers,
David.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Unicode in GIMP Text Tool.

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Wed, Aug 14, 2019 at 05:26:16PM -0500, David Wright wrote:

[...]

> You're welcome to use anything from
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2019/07/msg00926.html

Nice post, thanks for it -- I must have missed it at a moment
of high load.

> Most of the methods I see posted have limitations (like non-VC).

> > [1] https://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/185349/is-there-a-universal-way-to-write-unicode-characters


...and this is surely one. It works for Gtk+ applications (doh,
I think it's spelt Gtk these days?), it doesn't for plain X, much
less for the Linux VC. Dunno about Qt.

This is indeed a sad situation. Debian goes to some lengths to
unify X and the VCs -- whereas all the "user-experience-y" GUIs
out there seem to go out of their way to break as much as they
can -- as if they were competitors for market share. I guess
some anti-patterns are just hard to unlearn.

In this context I've to thank you, David, for your heroic effort,
and thanks for writing so nicely about it!

Cheers
-- tomás

signature.asc (205 bytes) Download Attachment