Unknown QNAP Model

Jörn Röder
Hey all,
i found the incredible looking example/tutorial from Martin Michlmayr https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ and would like to flush my qnap TS-231+ with a debian installation too.
I’ve seen that Martin worked with the 21x and 22x devices and i’d like to know how i can check if this might be possible. Do you know what the differences between the TS-21x, -22x and -23x are?

Thanks in advance!
Jörn

Re: Unknown QNAP Model

Rob J. Epping-3
Looks like this was also discussed back in April, see [1]

[1] <https://lists.debian.org/debian-arm/2016/04/msg00038.html>

Device hardware specs look interesting (2-core A15), but mainline kernel support was the issue back then.
Not sure if that situation has improved.

I would also like to see Debian on this or similar device.

GRTNX, RobJE

Sent from my mobile device. Please excuse my brevity.

Re: Unknown QNAP Model

Martin Michlmayr
* Jörn Röder <[hidden email]> [2016-12-21 20:03]:
> i found the incredible looking example/tutorial from Martin
> Michlmayr
> https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ and
> would like to flush my qnap TS-231+ with a debian installation too.

> I’ve seen that Martin worked with the 21x and 22x devices and i’d
> like to know how i can check if this might be possible. Do you know
> what the differences between the TS-21x, -22x and -23x are?

Unfortunately, the TS-231+ uses a completely different ARM chip to
the TS-21x/TS-22x models.

I'm not aware of any plans to support the TS-231+ (due to, as Rob
pointed out, lack of kernel support).

--
Martin Michlmayr
http://www.cyrius.com/

Re: Unknown QNAP Model

Lennart Sorensen
On Wed, Dec 21, 2016 at 01:59:52PM -0800, Martin Michlmayr wrote:

> * Jörn Röder <[hidden email]> [2016-12-21 20:03]:
> > i found the incredible looking example/tutorial from Martin
> > Michlmayr
> > https://www.cyrius.com/debian/kirkwood/qnap/ts-219/install/ and
> > would like to flush my qnap TS-231+ with a debian installation too.
>
> > I’ve seen that Martin worked with the 21x and 22x devices and i’d
> > like to know how i can check if this might be possible. Do you know
> > what the differences between the TS-21x, -22x and -23x are?
>
> Unfortunately, the TS-231+ uses a completely different ARM chip to
> the TS-21x/TS-22x models.
>
> I'm not aware of any plans to support the TS-231+ (due to, as Rob
> pointed out, lack of kernel support).

Well at least there is alpine.dtsi and alpine-db.dts, so at least a
start to supporting the AL212 exists in the kernel already.

--
Len Sorensen