Update of python-xlwt with Py3 support

Thomas Goirand-3
Hi Jan,

I've pushed to the git a new branch called new-upstream-1.3.0, which
adds Python 3 support, and some improvements to the package. Here's the
debian/changelog:

  * New upstream release.
  * Ran wrap-and-sort -bast to minimize git diffs.
  * Add Python 3 support.
  * Tests with nose.
  * Add a doc package and generate the doc using sphinx.
  * Generate the doc using sphinx.
  * Fixed dh sequencer call order.
  * Standards-Version is now 4.1.1.

Could you please have a look, and let me know if you're OK for me to
upload that?

This is part of a long dependency chain to add Python 3 support on as
many packages as I can, and finally get rid of Python 2, so it'd be
great if you could review it.

Note that I've added python3 support to antlr, though now I'm not sure
if xlwt even use it anymore. Maybe we should also remove it's depends?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: Update of python-xlwt with Py3 support

Jan Dittberner-4
On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 08:02:57PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:

> Hi Jan,
>
> I've pushed to the git a new branch called new-upstream-1.3.0, which
> adds Python 3 support, and some improvements to the package. Here's the
> debian/changelog:
>
>   * New upstream release.
>   * Ran wrap-and-sort -bast to minimize git diffs.
>   * Add Python 3 support.
>   * Tests with nose.
>   * Add a doc package and generate the doc using sphinx.
>   * Generate the doc using sphinx.
>   * Fixed dh sequencer call order.
>   * Standards-Version is now 4.1.1.
>
> Could you please have a look, and let me know if you're OK for me to
> upload that?

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for your work. The changes look good to me, please merge
them to the master branch and go forward with the upload.

Kind regards
Jan

--
Jan Dittberner - Debian Developer
GPG-key: 4096R/0xA73E0055558FB8DD 2009-05-10
https://portfolio.debian.net/ - https://people.debian.org/~jandd/

On 10/26/2017 12:27 PM, Jan Dittberner wrote:

> On Wed, Oct 25, 2017 at 08:02:57PM +0200, Thomas Goirand wrote:
>> Hi Jan,
>>
>> I've pushed to the git a new branch called new-upstream-1.3.0, which
>> adds Python 3 support, and some improvements to the package. Here's the
>> debian/changelog:
>>
>>   * New upstream release.
>>   * Ran wrap-and-sort -bast to minimize git diffs.
>>   * Add Python 3 support.
>>   * Tests with nose.
>>   * Add a doc package and generate the doc using sphinx.
>>   * Generate the doc using sphinx.
>>   * Fixed dh sequencer call order.
>>   * Standards-Version is now 4.1.1.
>>
>> Could you please have a look, and let me know if you're OK for me to
>> upload that?
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> thank you very much for your work. The changes look good to me, please merge
> them to the master branch and go forward with the upload.
>

> Kind regards
> Jan

Thanks Jan!

To avoid breakage, I'll wait for antlr support for Python 3 passes the
NEW queue, and then upload. I've already merged to master.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

Re: converting to git-dpm (was: Update of python-xlwt with Py3 support)

Thomas Goirand-3
On 10/26/2017 03:02 PM, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> To avoid breakage, I'll wait for antlr support for Python 3 passes the
> NEW queue, and then upload. I've already merged to master.

I've found out that antlr.py is embedded, and still in use in this
upstream release. So I added a patch to remove it from upstream.

However, the package was using git-dpm. As always, importing a new
release with git-dpm is a nightmare. Therefore, before doing it, I
simply removed all patches (as I thought no patch was needed). Now,
what's the way to make it again so that the package uses git-dpm? Is it
still needed these days, or is it ok to not do it in the team?

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

P.S: As I wrote, I didn't upload yet...

New upstream version of python-xlwt

Raphael Hertzog-3
Hi,

ccing maintainers of reverse dependencies of python-xlwt. We
switched to a new upstream version (0.7.5 -> 1.3.0) so you might
want to check that your packages are still working with this new
version (rows, python-pandas,

On Thu, 26 Oct 2017, Thomas Goirand wrote:
> I've found out that antlr.py is embedded, and still in use in this
> upstream release. So I added a patch to remove it from upstream.

This change was not good. The embedded antlr.py is patched
for xlwt. See https://github.com/python-excel/xlwt/issues/73

This change thus got reverted and I uploaded the resulting package
with a few more cleanups.

> However, the package was using git-dpm. As always, importing a new
> release with git-dpm is a nightmare. Therefore, before doing it, I
> simply removed all patches (as I thought no patch was needed). Now,
> what's the way to make it again so that the package uses git-dpm? Is it
> still needed these days, or is it ok to not do it in the team?

AFAIK it's OK to not use git-dpm. However it seems that the team
documentation would need an update... also since we haven't documented
the switch to salsa either.

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer