Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-07-04

Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-07-04

John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
Hello!

I just uploaded updated installation images 2019-07-04 for the
following Debian Ports architectures:

 * alpha
 * hppa
 * ia64
 * m68k
 * powerpc
 * ppc64
 * sh4
 * sparc64

I uploaded both CD images [1] as well as netboot images [2].

Please test those images and report back over the mailing list for
the corresponding architecture.

Known issues:

 * alpha
   - There have been reports about missing firmware for storage devices.
     The firmware required for these devices is located in the
     "firmware-linux" and "firmware-linux-nonfree" packages but we currently
     don't have a floppy driver in debian-installer to load additional
     firmware.
     Unfortunately, I have not yet figured out how to enable firmware
     packages in debian-cd for Debian Ports.
 * hppa
   - No known issues and changes. However, PA-RISC (and all other architectures
     below) machines can be affectedb by missing firmware as well (see alpha)
     depending on the hardware.
 * ia64
   - The kernel might be unstable during install
     (try passing "hardened_usercopy=off" at the boot prompt,
      e.g. "install hardened_usercopy=off").
   - If the machine locks up during boot with a radeon GPU,
     try passing "modprobe_blacklist=radeon nomodeset".
   - The kernel crashes on certain machines like the RX2800
     due to a regression in the ia64 kernel code. We have not found
     a suitable solution for this problem yet but it is being worked
     on, see: https://marc.info/?l=linux-ia64&m=156144480821712&w=2
 * m68k
   - The drivers for IDE hardware have to be loaded manually, e.g.:
     + modprobe pata_gayle
     + modprobe pata_falcon
     There is a pending set of kernel patches now sent upstream which
     will fix that problem for the Atari Falcon IDE controller,
     see: https://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=156201856805750&w=2
     and: https://marc.info/?l=linux-m68k&m=156201856905754&w=2
     I'm actually not sure whether the pata_gayle driver needs
     these patches as well for enabling automatic module loading.
   - There is no automatic installation of the bootloader yet,
     users have to boot the kernel and initrd manually after
     installation. This is because different m68k platforms
     use different bootloaders. But it might be feasible to
     come up with a solution to install amiboot and ataboot
     automatically.
 * powerpc/ppc64
   - Installing GRUB is currently broken on PowerMacs due to
     a limitation in the grub-ofpathname utility. This is
     being worked on.
   - Unfortunately, upgrading the GRUB package will currently
     render PowerMacs unbootable. See this thread for more:
     https://lists.debian.org/debian-powerpc/2019/04/msg00165.html
   - On some machines, the fans might produce a lot of noise,
     this can be addressed by manually the windfarm kernel
     modules:
     + modprobe windfarm_core
 * sh4
   - There is no CD image, installation has to be performed
     using the debian-installer images.
   - Currently supported targets are Renesas SH-7785LCR and
     SH-7751R, the latter should be identical to qemu-sh4.
   - There have been some improvements for debian-installer for
     sh4. It now uses the latest kernel instead of being stuck
     to 2.6.32. Furthermore, there was also one bug in the sh4
     kernel that was fixed, see:
     https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/merge_requests/152
   - More work on the sh4 kernel is necessary to get it back in
     shape. In particular, the kernel needs to be slimmed down by
     turning more drivers into modules as the maximum kernel size
     for qemu-sh4 is 8 MiB.
 * sparc64
   - The serial driver bug for LDOM installations has been fixed
     (https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/davem/sparc.git/commit/?id=07a6d63eb1b54b5fb38092780fe618dfe1d96e23)
     and therefore installation inside an LDOM works correctly again.
   - There are no known issues.

I will follow up with another mail listing the most important TODO
list items for every architecture in Debian Ports so that anyone
interested in helping with these architectures knows what to work on.

Important:

When reporting issues or bugs, please include the syslog
from your installation in the bug report/mail. The log
file can be access when switching to another console using
<Alt>+<Cursor> for normal installations or <Ctrl>+<a>+<n>
when installing over a serial console. I also need to know
what hardware was used, which installation steps (normal
vs. expert) and which image was used.

I am currently collecting bug reports but cannot push the fixes
immediately as the imminent Debian Buster release means that
debian-installer and components are effectively frozen.

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz

Re: Updated installation images for Debian Ports 2019-07-04

William ML Leslie
On Fri, 5 Jul 2019 at 01:03, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello!
>
> I just uploaded updated installation images 2019-07-04 for the
> following Debian Ports architectures:
>
>  * alpha
>  * hppa
>  * ia64
>  * m68k
>  * powerpc
>  * ppc64
>  * sh4
>  * sparc64
>
> I uploaded both CD images [1] as well as netboot images [2].
>
> Please test those images and report back over the mailing list for
> the corresponding architecture.

Thank you for producing these! I'm new today to hardware ports (though
I have been a debian hurd-i386 user for many years). I have
successfully used this ia64 image to install to my stylish combination
slim-line space heater and secure ambient noise generator.

It's an HP Integrity rx2620 with iLO MP and a single mckinley at 1.4
GHz and 6 GiB of RAM.

I had the same issue that Frank Scheiner had regarding vim-tiny on the
rx2660 (thank you Frank for the detailed explanation of your
experience).  This one was supremely frustrating as editing
bootstrap-base.postinst after the first install attempt and retrying
the install leads to failing to extract a .tar (file exists!) wheras
performing the partitioning step again would lead to the cdrom
becoming unmounted; and d-i would not give me the option to remount
the cdrom before continuing onto the next step until I restarted the
install in expert mode.  Editing the file before detecting disks
seemed to work however.

I have not tested running without the radeon module blacklisted; I
will do once I have the machine configured for use.

--
William Leslie

Notice:
Likely much of this email is, by the nature of copyright, covered
under copyright law.  You absolutely MAY reproduce any part of it in
accordance with the copyright law of the nation you are reading this
in.  Any attempt to DENY YOU THOSE RIGHTS would be illegal without
prior contractual agreement.

On 7/6/19 10:39 PM, William ML Leslie wrote:
> I had the same issue that Frank Scheiner had regarding vim-tiny on the
> rx2660 (thank you Frank for the detailed explanation of your
> experience).

The problem is the vim package which failed to build from source on ia64
again [1]. If I build installation images after the vim package has failed
to build, the issue you are describing occurs. The explanation why a vim
package that fails to build blocks the installation is explained in [2].

I will build the vim package manually now with the testsuite disabled but
someone needs to have a look at vim on alpha and ia64 and fix the package.

Adrian

On 7/7/19 12:07 AM, John Paul Adrian Glaubitz wrote:
> The problem is the vim package which failed to build from source on ia64
> again [1]. If I build installation images after the vim package has failed
> to build, the issue you are describing occurs. The explanation why a vim
> package that fails to build blocks the installation is explained in [2].
>
> I will build the vim package manually now with the testsuite disabled but
> someone needs to have a look at vim on alpha and ia64 and fix the package.

This issue should be fixed in today's images now [1].

Thanks,
Adrian

--
 .''`.  John Paul Adrian Glaubitz