Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
For reasons of my own, I need to create a Celery 4.0.2 Debian package. This
means also updating the Kombu and AMQP packages. As I'm doing this work anyway,
my preference would be to share it with the World through DPMT.

However, I notice that python-amqp has a lot of other reverse dependancies,
including OpenStack, and that we're currently in a release freeze. I've also
seen there's been some discussion about using the DEP14 branch/tag convention
and switching to gbp pq.

Would people be happy for me to start updating Celery and its dependancies,
uploading the results to experimental, or should I keep my work to myself for
the time being?

Thanks.

Christopher

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Brian May-2

On 2017-03-14 14:48, Christopher Hoskin wrote:

For reasons of my own, I need to create a Celery 4.0.2 Debian package. This
means also updating the Kombu and AMQP packages. As I'm doing this work anyway,
my preference would be to share it with the World through DPMT.

However, I notice that python-amqp has a lot of other reverse dependancies,
including OpenStack, and that we're currently in a release freeze. I've also
seen there's been some discussion about using the DEP14 branch/tag convention
and switching to gbp pq.

Would people be happy for me to start updating Celery and its dependancies,
uploading the results to experimental, or should I keep my work to myself for
the time being?

As an uploader for celery, kombu, and python-amqp, I see no problem myself. I can't speak for other packages, and definitely I can't speak for packages not under DPMT.

For now, I would suggest creating a debian/experimental branch, switching to gbp pq (as using non-standard branch names is easier with gbp pq), and then continuing. I have done this already for the python-mkdocs package.

If you need any help, let me know.

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
Dear Brian,

Thanks. I'm new to gbp pq, but beginning to get the hang of it.

At the end of https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackagingPQ#Converting_git-dpm_to_gbp_pq
I think it would probably be a good idea to add instructions to
refresh the patches (and create the patch-queue). Something like:

gbp pq import
gbp pq export
dch -m "Refresh patches after git-dpm to gbp pq conversion"
git add debian/patches/
git add debian/changelog
debcommit

I found all of the patches were updated with the removal of a From: header.

Also, in https://wiki.debian.org/Python/GitPackagingPQ#New_upstream_release
you probably want to add --pristine-tar to the import-orig command.

Thanks for your help!

Christopher

Christopher Hoskin <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks. I'm new to gbp pq, but beginning to get the hang of it.

Your changes looks good to me, I have now made them. FYI, I believe
anybody can create an account and make changes to the wiki.

> Thanks for your help!

Thanks for your help!
Brian May <[hidden email]>

On 15 March 2017 at 08:45, Brian May <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Your changes looks good to me, I have now made them. FYI, I believe
> anybody can create an account and make changes to the wiki.

Thanks. I have a wiki account, but the last time I updated the
Python/GitPackaging page my edit was reverted almost immediately, so I
thought I better check here first ;)

python-amqp depends on vine, but when I previously packaged vine[0], I
only built the python3 package. Is it too soon to start dropping
python2 packages from uploads intended for Buster?

[0] https://packages.debian.org/source/sid/vine

Christopher

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Michael Fladischer
On 2017-03-14 04:48, Christopher Hoskin wrote:
> Would people be happy for me to start updating Celery and its dependancies,
> uploading the results to experimental, or should I keep my work to myself for
> the time being?

Please go ahead with any upload to experimental. I was planning to
upgrade the whole celery stack after the freeze anyway.

If you need any help, just let me know.

Michael Fladischer
Fladi.at

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
Thanks - are you happy for me to remove the Python 2 package?

Otherwise I'll need to add Python 2 packages to some of the new dependencies.

Christopher

On 17 March 2017 at 10:36, Michael Fladischer <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On 2017-03-14 04:48, Christopher Hoskin wrote:
>> Would people be happy for me to start updating Celery and its dependancies,
>> uploading the results to experimental, or should I keep my work to myself for
>> the time being?
>
> Please go ahead with any upload to experimental. I was planning to
> upgrade the whole celery stack after the freeze anyway.
>
> If you need any help, just let me know.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Michael Fladischer
> Fladi.at

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Brian May
Christopher Hoskin <[hidden email]> writes:

> python-amqp depends on vine, but when I previously packaged vine[0], I
> only built the python3 package. Is it too soon to start dropping
> python2 packages from uploads intended for Buster?

I am hardly any authoritative source for this team, but I don't see any
problems.

Just need to be mindful of anything that depends or build depends on the
python-* on the package you are removing - if you break a large number
of packages (including cascading breakages), maybe not worth it. Just
yet anyway.

Or maybe if one of the packages is a highly popular package, might want
to exercise a bit more caution. I don't think the packages mentioned so
far count.
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Scott Kitterman-5
On Saturday, March 18, 2017 05:58:49 PM Brian May wrote:

> Christopher Hoskin <[hidden email]> writes:
> > python-amqp depends on vine, but when I previously packaged vine[0], I
> > only built the python3 package. Is it too soon to start dropping
> > python2 packages from uploads intended for Buster?
>
> I am hardly any authoritative source for this team, but I don't see any
> problems.
>
> Just need to be mindful of anything that depends or build depends on the
> python-* on the package you are removing - if you break a large number
> of packages (including cascading breakages), maybe not worth it. Just
> yet anyway.
>
> Or maybe if one of the packages is a highly popular package, might want
> to exercise a bit more caution. I don't think the packages mentioned so
> far count.

I would be inclined not to drop python2 packages.  While it may be fine for
what's in the archive, there are huge swaths of project code that have not
been migrated to python3.  I don't see any rush to remove stuff.

If you need to add a python package to support this, feel free to ping me and
I'll give it a quick review through New.

Scott K

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Thomas Goirand-3
On 03/15/2017 09:56 PM, Christopher Hoskin wrote:

> On 15 March 2017 at 08:45, Brian May <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Your changes looks good to me, I have now made them. FYI, I believe
>> anybody can create an account and make changes to the wiki.
>
> Thanks. I have a wiki account, but the last time I updated the
> Python/GitPackaging page my edit was reverted almost immediately, so I
> thought I better check here first ;)
>
> python-amqp depends on vine, but when I previously packaged vine[0], I
> only built the python3 package. Is it too soon to start dropping
> python2 packages from uploads intended for Buster?

python-amqp is used by python-oslo.messaging, which is one of the key
components of OpenStack. OpenStack eventually will drop Python 2
support, though this may happen over the next 6 to 12 months only.
Mostly everything is ready, though some components are still not fully
Py3 compatible.

So yeah, in this case, it is a little bit too soon to drop Python 2.
Hopefully, we will be able to do that before Buster.

Cheers,

Thomas Goirand (zigo)

On 2017-03-17 15:53, Christopher Hoskin wrote:
> Thanks - are you happy for me to remove the Python 2 package?
>
> Otherwise I'll need to add Python 2 packages to some of the new dependencies.

I'd like to keep them. Right now popcon indicates that the majority of
installations is still using python-celery (167) instead of
python3-celery (6).

Michael Fladischer
Fladi.at

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
Thanks for the feedback. I've pushed my debian/experimental branch of
python-amqp to Alioth [0] and uploaded it to experimental [1].
Hopefully this is what you had in mind. Please let me know if I've
made any mistakes.

A Python 2 package for the vine dependency is currently in the NEW queue.

I'll move on to Kombu next.

Christopher

[0] https://anonscm.debian.org/git/python-modules/packages/python-amqp.git?h=debian%2Fexperimental
[1] https://packages.debian.org/source/experimental/python-amqp

On Monday, March 20, 2017 07:28:47 AM Christopher Hoskin wrote:
> A Python 2 package for the vine dependency is currently in the NEW queue.

It was just accepted.

Scott K

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
I've made a mistake, and kombu has got uploaded to unstable instead of
experimental. (I had experimental in the changelog, but didn't pass
"-d experimental" to sbuild on the final build). I'm very sorry about
this. What is the best way to resolve this? Should I file a bug
against the ftp.debian.org pseudo-package?

Thanks, and sorry again.

Christopher

On 20 March 2017 at 13:37, Scott Kitterman <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Monday, March 20, 2017 07:28:47 AM Christopher Hoskin wrote:
>> A Python 2 package for the vine dependency is currently in the NEW queue.
>
> It was just accepted.
>
> Scott K

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Brian May
Christopher Hoskin <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've made a mistake, and kombu has got uploaded to unstable instead of
> experimental. (I had experimental in the changelog, but didn't pass
> "-d experimental" to sbuild on the final build). I'm very sorry about
> this. What is the best way to resolve this? Should I file a bug
> against the ftp.debian.org pseudo-package?

Is this upload likely to break anything in unstable?

If not, I wouldn't worry too much about it. Might make things a little
bit harder in the unlikely case a update is required for testing, but
not impossible.

(am assuming it has already entered the archive, or is going to very
soon)
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Brian May
Christopher Hoskin <[hidden email]> writes:

> I've made a mistake, and kombu has got uploaded to unstable instead of
> experimental. (I had experimental in the changelog, but didn't pass
> "-d experimental" to sbuild on the final build). I'm very sorry about
> this. What is the best way to resolve this? Should I file a bug
> against the ftp.debian.org pseudo-package?

I see your changes in the debian/experimental branch. Wondering if it is
probably best to include them now in master (or debian/master?),
considering they are now in debian/unstable.

Looks like this change has problems, see #858540. Suspect a missing
depends on the vine package.
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Brian May <[hidden email]> writes:

> Looks like this change has problems, see #858540. Suspect a missing
> depends on the vine package.

Trying to fix this, I notice it also depends on python{,3}-amqp that
only exists in experimental :-(
Brian May <[hidden email]>

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Christopher Hoskin
Presumably it will also run into trouble as python-amqp is at 1.4.9 in
unstable, but 2.1.4 from experimental is required.

Christopher

On 2017-03-24 08:33, Christopher Hoskin wrote:

Presumably it will also run into trouble as python-amqp is at 1.4.9 in
unstable, but 2.1.4 from experimental is required.

Yuck. I guess the options we have available are (without any evaluation or filtering of bad or stupid options):

* Try to get Kombu working with older 2.1.4.
* Ignore breakage until after freeze.
* Upload python-amqp 2.1.4 to unstable (plus anything that this breaks??).
* Upload previous Kombu to unstable, using an epoch for the version (and all subsequent uploads).
* Upload previous Kombu to unstable, without adjusting version, and watch for automatic rejection email. Take legal action against DAK for the improper rejection.
* Hope aliens invade Earth within the next several days, and they can deal with this, while the human race is subject to become slaves for eternity.

Any other options?

Re: Updating Celery, Kombu, python-amqp

Brian May
Brian May <[hidden email]> writes:

> * Upload python-amqp 2.1.4 to unstable (plus anything that this
> breaks??).

I an inclined to think this might be the best option. There are only two
packages that depend on python-amqp - that I can see anyway, and one of
them is python-kombu.

# apt-cache rdepends python-amqp
python-amqp
Reverse Depends:
  python-oslo.messaging
  python-kombu
  python-kombu
  python-kombu
  python-kombu
  python-oslo.messaging

Any objections to uploading the experimental version of python-amqp into
unstable?
--
Brian May <[hidden email]>