Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Nicolas Dandrimont
[
I'm *not* talking about the Python "packaging" Policy[0], which is under the
prerogative of the python{,3}-defaults maintainers.

[0] https://www.debian.org/doc/packaging-manuals/python-policy/
]

Dear all,

The DPMT policy[1] is still talking about Alioth and git-dpm, which is ever so
slightly outdated. valhalla submitted a MR[2] a while ago to fix some of these
references, but that ended up being a dead letter.

[1] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/blob/master/policy.rst
[2] https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/1

There was some confusion about who is the caretaker of this policy, I think
stemming from the fact that the "main" Python packaging policy also needs some
updates.

I feel the consensus is that that PR should just get merged and that the DPMT
policy can just be updated by team consensus on this list. Consider this a
heads up that I'll merge this in the next few days, unless there's any issue
people can come up with.

A MR describing the git-buildpackage workflow would also be appreciated.

Nicolas Dandrimont

BOFH excuse #378:
Operators killed by year 2000 bug bite.

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Chris Lamb -2
Hi Nicolas,

> I feel the consensus is that that PR should just get merged and that the DPMT
> policy can just be updated by team consensus on this list. Consider this a
> heads up that I'll merge this in the next few days, unless there's any issue
> people can come up with.

Great idea.

Indeed, lets just get this merged (why wait?) so we don't confuse
or even scare away potential contributors with outdated docs. We
can always continue to iterate on it or even revert parts of it,
after all.

Best wishes,

--
      ,''`.
     : :'  :     Chris Lamb
       `-

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Yao Wei (魏銘廷)-2
Hi,

I am proposing another merge request:

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/2

Prominent changes are follows:

  * Change git repo from Alioth to Salsa
  * Suggests to use git-buildpackage and quilt format instead of git-dpm
    - Some unrelevant paragraphs on git-dpm are also removed
  * Changes strong discourgement of deviating from the policy since we
    are doing so recently.

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 08:42:13AM -0500, Chris Lamb  wrote:

> > I feel the consensus is that that PR should just get merged and that the DPMT
> > policy can just be updated by team consensus on this list. Consider this a
> > heads up that I'll merge this in the next few days, unless there's any issue
> > people can come up with.
>
> Great idea.
>
> Indeed, lets just get this merged (why wait?) so we don't confuse
> or even scare away potential contributors with outdated docs. We
> can always continue to iterate on it or even revert parts of it,
> after all.
Thanks,
Yao Wei

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Chris Lamb -2
Yao Wei,

> I am proposing another merge request:
>
> https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/2

Another in the sense of "replacing" or "in addition to" the one
Nicolas already proposed we merge?

(If the former, how is it superior?)

      ,''`.
       `-

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Yao Wei (魏銘廷)-2
Hi,

My merge request already incorporates what Nicolas proposed, So, I think
that would mean both "replacing" and "in addition to" since my changeset
is a superset to the previous one.

The other changes are listed in my previous email.

On Thu, Nov 08, 2018 at 10:45:15AM -0500, Chris Lamb wrote:
> > I am proposing another merge request:
> >
> > https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/2
>
> Another in the sense of "replacing" or "in addition to" the one
> Nicolas already proposed we merge?
>
> (If the former, how is it superior?)

Yao Wei

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Víctor Cuadrado Juan
On 08/11/2018 14.21, Nicolas Dandrimont wrote:

> I feel the consensus is that that PR should just get merged and that the DPMT
> policy can just be updated by team consensus on this list. Consider this a
> heads up that I'll merge this in the next few days, unless there's any issue
> people can come up with.

As a humble maintainer of a couple of python modules, many thanks for taking the
initiative on this. I agree with these changes.

This makes me wonder on how Debian teams achieve consensus, and how we could
streamline the process.

The idea of having a census (listed members on gitlab) and merging PRs once they
have been reviewed favorably by an enough % of team members sounds very appealing,
even if it is counterproductive to the voluntary non full-time efforts that
contributors can pool into the project.

--
Víctor Cuadrado Juan           [hidden email]

PGP key ID: 4096R: 0xA2591E231E251F36
Key fingerprint: E3C5 114C 0C5B 4C49 BA03  0991 A259 1E23 1E25 1F36
My signed E-Mails are trustworthy.

Re: Updating the Python Modules *Team* policy

Ondrej Novy-2

čt 8. 11. 2018 v 14:30 odesílatel Nicolas Dandrimont <[hidden email]> napsal:
The DPMT policy[1] is still talking about Alioth and git-dpm, which is ever so
slightly outdated. valhalla submitted a MR[2] a while ago to fix some of these
references, but that ended up being a dead letter.

because this is just simple Alioth->DPMT migration I just squashed and merged it.

Thanks.

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

Email: [hidden email]
PGP: 3D98 3C52 EB85 980C 46A5  6090 3573 1255 9D1E 064B