Upgrade Problem

1234 ... 6

Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar
I am running Debian Stretch  and have just encountered a problem during
a routine apt-get dist-upgrade.

Specifically, it failed with the following error messages.

E: libc-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
error exit status 1

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar
This is an addendum to my original message.

Einstein defined insanity as: "trying the same thing and expecting a different answer". In spite of that I tried apt-get dist-upgrade again and got:

root@AbNormal:/home/comp# apt dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  libarchive13 tzdata
2 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
1 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0 B/567 kB of archives.
After this operation, 12.3 kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n]

Accepting the default I got:

ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
dpkg: error processing package libc-bin (--configure):
 libc-bin
root@AbNormal:/home/comp#

slightly different from my first message.

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

deloptes-2
Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
> dpkg: error processing package libc-bin (--configure):
> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1

man ldconfig -> cache default is /etc/ld.so.cache

Was it altered and you forgot? Or is it someting wrong with the default
cache file

$ ls -al /etc/ld.so.cache
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176004 Jan  1 21:56 /etc/ld.so.cache

regards

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Steve Petruzzello
Hi Stephan,

Perhaps have you become root with 'su' only. A couple of weeks ago, I
had the same problem. It seems su behaviour has changed recently. I
tried 'su -' to become root, and the error disappeared.

I guess some reading of su changelog file might explain this. But too lazy
for that.

Hope it helps.

Best,
Steve

Re: Upgrade Problem

Brad Rogers
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 17:33:20 +0100
steve <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hello steve,

>had the same problem. It seems su behaviour has changed recently. I

It changed several months ago.  I got notification 8 Aug 2018.

As you go on to point out, 'su -' should permit OP to update without
problem.

--
 Regards  _
Why do they try to hide our past pulling down houses and build car parks

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 11:29 AM, deloptes wrote:

> Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
>
>> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
>> dpkg: error processing package libc-bin (--configure):
>> subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 1
> man ldconfig -> cache default is /etc/ld.so.cache
>
> Was it altered and you forgot? Or is it someting wrong with the default
> cache file
>
> $ ls -al /etc/ld.so.cache
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176004 Jan  1 21:56 /etc/ld.so.cache
>
> regards

Thanks for your reply.

I haven't, at least knowingly, altered the file.  I don't really mess
around the the OS, other than to keep it updated via apt or apt-get.

Can it be restored?

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Upgrade Problem

Patrick Bartek-2
On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 09:54:44 -0500
"Stephen P. Molnar" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I am running Debian Stretch  and have just encountered a problem during
> a routine apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> Specifically, it failed with the following error messages.
>
> E: libc-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
> error exit status 1
>
> Please advise.

Errors aside.  Why were you dist-upgrading?  Were you trying to upgrade
to Testing?  Or was is for a "held back" package, etc?  Please clarify.

Did you do apt update and apt upgrade first before the dist-upgrade?

Re: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 11:43 AM, Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 17:33:20 +0100
> steve <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Hello steve,
>
>> had the same problem. It seems su behaviour has changed recently. I
> It changed several months ago.  I got notification 8 Aug 2018.
>
> As you go on to point out, 'su -' should permit OP to update without
> problem.

su - didn't work.  GOt the same error messages.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

deloptes-2
deloptes wrote:

> man ldconfig -> cache default is /etc/ld.so.cache
>
> Was it altered and you forgot? Or is it someting wrong with the default
> cache file
>
> $ ls -al /etc/ld.so.cache
> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176004 Jan  1 21:56 /etc/ld.so.cache

as root try

touch /etc/ld.so.cache

run manually ldconfig and perform the upgrade again

check if you have also the rest of ldconfig - at least /etc/ld.so.conf

best would be if you had backup and knew what was there before

regards

Re: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 12:19 PM, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Jan 2019 09:54:44 -0500
> "Stephen P. Molnar" <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I am running Debian Stretch  and have just encountered a problem during
>> a routine apt-get dist-upgrade.
>>
>> Specifically, it failed with the following error messages.
>>
>> E: libc-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
>> error exit status 1
>>
>> Please advise.
> Errors aside.  Why were you dist-upgrading?  Were you trying to upgrade
> to Testing?  Or was is for a "held back" package, etc?  Please clarify.
>
> Did you do apt update and apt upgrade first before the dist-upgrade?

Yes, I did update first.  Further, both aapt and apt-get generate the
same error messages.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 12:35 PM, deloptes wrote:

> deloptes wrote:
>
>> man ldconfig -> cache default is /etc/ld.so.cache
>>
>> Was it altered and you forgot? Or is it someting wrong with the default
>> cache file
>>
>> $ ls -al /etc/ld.so.cache
>> -rw-r--r-- 1 root root 176004 Jan  1 21:56 /etc/ld.so.cache
> as root try
>
> touch /etc/ld.so.cache
>
> run manually ldconfig and perform the upgrade again
>
> check if you have also the rest of ldconfig - at least /etc/ld.so.conf
>
> best would be if you had backup and knew what was there before
>
> regards

Thanks for the suggestion.

However:

root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
root@AbNormal:/home/comp# sbin/ldconfig
-bash: sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory
root@AbNormal:/home/comp#

This seems to me as being rather strange, because ldconfig is installed
in sbin.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Nicolas George-4
Stephen P. Molnar (2019-01-03):
> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory

At this point, I would suggest:

strace ldconfig

> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# sbin/ldconfig
> -bash: sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory

You should re-read the commands you type, the mistake is obvious.

  Nicolas George

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Greg Wooledge
On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 12:49:48PM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory

You NEED to figure out why this is happening.  Is the entire /etc
directory gone, or something?

Show some basic initiative.  Look around.  Show us what abnormal things
are going on with your system.

ls -ld / /etc /etc/ld.*
strace /sbin/ldconfig

Do something, do ANYTHING useful!

Re: Upgrade Problem

songbird
Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> I am running Debian Stretch  and have just encountered a problem during
> a routine apt-get dist-upgrade.
>
> Specifically, it failed with the following error messages.
>
> E: libc-bin: subprocess installed post-installation script returned
> error exit status 1
>
> Please advise.

  are you out of space on that device or out of inodes?

  have you tried to reinstall libc-bin?

  # apt-get install libc --reinstall

  songbird

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

deloptes-2
Stephen P. Molnar wrote:

> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory

Try

touch /etc/ld.so.cache

and repeat

> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# sbin/ldconfig
> -bash: sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory
> root@AbNormal:/home/comp#

It is /sbin/ldconfig

regards

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 12:53 PM, Greg Wooledge wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 12:49:48PM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
>> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
>> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
> You NEED to figure out why this is happening.  Is the entire /etc
> directory gone, or something?
>
> Show some basic initiative.  Look around.  Show us what abnormal things
> are going on with your system.
>
> ls -ld / /etc /etc/ld.*
> strace /sbin/ldconfig
>
> Do something, do ANYTHING useful!

Thank you for your helpful comment.  Unfortunately. I am an Organioc
Chemist, not an IT person. Therefore, I am only a user.

Now, strace is not installed, nor can I install it, thanks to the error
messages.

Might this help?

root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ls -ld / /etc /etc/ld.*
drwxr-xr-x  26 root root   4096 Dec 19 13:17 /
drwxr-xr-x 134 root root  12288 Jan  3 09:43 /etc
-rw-r--r--   1 root root 237114 Dec 26 14:47 /etc/ld.so.cache
-rw-------   1 root root  12288 Jan  3 12:49 /etc/ld.so.cache~
-rw-r--r--   1 root root     34 Apr  9  2017 /etc/ld.so.conf
drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Aug 22 07:41 /etc/ld.so.conf.d

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

root@AbNormal:/home/comp# apt-get install libc --reinstall
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Unable to locate package libc

so far as I know, I am not out of space.

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Stephen P. Molnar

On 01/03/2019 02:10 PM, deloptes wrote:

> Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
>
>> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ldconfig
>> ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory
> Try
>
> touch /etc/ld.so.cache
>
> and repeat
>
>> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# sbin/ldconfig
>> -bash: sbin/ldconfig: No such file or directory
>> root@AbNormal:/home/comp#
> It is /sbin/ldconfig
>
> regards

root@AbNormal:/home/comp# touch /etc/ld.so.cache
root@AbNormal:/home/comp# /sbin/ldconfig
/sbin/ldconfig: Writing of cache data failed: No such file or directory

--
Stephen P. Molnar, Ph.D.
Consultant
Skype: smolnar1

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Greg Wooledge
On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 02:30:49PM -0500, Stephen P. Molnar wrote:
> root@AbNormal:/home/comp# ls -ld / /etc /etc/ld.*
> drwxr-xr-x  26 root root   4096 Dec 19 13:17 /
> drwxr-xr-x 134 root root  12288 Jan  3 09:43 /etc
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root 237114 Dec 26 14:47 /etc/ld.so.cache
> -rw-------   1 root root  12288 Jan  3 12:49 /etc/ld.so.cache~
> -rw-r--r--   1 root root     34 Apr  9  2017 /etc/ld.so.conf
> drwxr-xr-x   2 root root   4096 Aug 22 07:41 /etc/ld.so.conf.d

Well... /etc isn't missing, at least.

When I run "strace /sbin/ldconfig" on my system, I see this line:

rename("/etc/ld.so.cache~", "/etc/ld.so.cache") = 0

So, it seems that your ldconfig is generating the /etc/ld.so.cache~ file,
or at least a partial one (12288 is a suspiciously ROUND number, being
precisely 3 times 4 kilobytes).  And then ... something bad happens before
it can rename it to /etc/ld.so.cache.  Or finish writing it.

Are you out of disk space?  Granted, I would have expected a DIFFERENT
error message in that case, but it's a thing to check.

You might consider simply copying the /usr/bin/strace file from a
different Debian system onto this one, just so you can run it.

Re: Fwd: Upgrade Problem

Greg Wooledge
On Thu, Jan 03, 2019 at 02:42:50PM -0500, Greg Wooledge wrote:
> When I run "strace /sbin/ldconfig" on my system, I see this line:
>
> rename("/etc/ld.so.cache~", "/etc/ld.so.cache") = 0

Oh, and there was also this stuff:

stat("/var/cache/ldconfig", {st_mode=S_IFDIR|0700, st_size=4096, ...}) = 0
open("/var/cache/ldconfig/aux-cache~", O_WRONLY|O_CREAT|O_TRUNC|O_NOFOLLOW, 0600) = 3
write(3, "glibc-ld.so.auxcache-1.0\273\2\0\0\376-\0\0"..., 45358) = 45358
close(3)                                = 0
rename("/var/cache/ldconfig/aux-cache~", "/var/cache/ldconfig/aux-cache") = 0
brk(0xa2d000)                           = 0xa2d000

Maybe your /var/cache/ldconfig directory is missing?  I honestly have
no idea what that is.  I've never seen it before.

1234 ... 6