Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Felix Miata-3
Marc Shapiro composed on 2015-12-01 07:15 (UTC-0800):

> I will install  firmware-amd-graphics as soon as I get a chance

firmware-linux-nonfree is what worked on Jessie for my Cedar and for Mart.

> (probably this evening) and report back.  Meanwhile, Felix says that he
> never received my post with the full logs and others seem not to have

Looks like it never reached
https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2015/12/threads.html either, possibly
due to excessive size, or maybe pasting as attachment rather than inline.

> received them, either, by what they have posted.  For the sake of
> keeping all of the information available for the future, I will post

Some people think "all information" should be saved for the future. Others
don't. It's your choice. Be aware that "all information" in the case of Xorg
logs and dmesg is voluminous, and like other mailing list info, stays on the
Internet forever. As some small portion of Xorg.0.log is arguably personal,
one may not wish it to be available forever. Those concerned with noise in
archive searches also may prefer the linking method of log sharing. Little in
those logs is actually relevant to solution, and often, what is is relevant
only to the OP.

Chris Bannister's opinion how to share voluminous data is not universal. On
some other mailing lists, inclusion is explicitly frowned upon. There are no
published/official rules here (of which I'm aware, and I did look) that say
one must or must not pollute list archives with voluminous logs.
http://paste.debian.net/ and other pastebins exist for good reason. Ephemeral
need is precisely one of them. Reducing loss of privacy is another.

> them at that time, as well.  Should they be sent as attachments, or
> inline.  I sent them as attachments last time. Could that have been the
> problem?

At this point, what's the point? Solution has almost certainly been
determined to be missing firmware. Xorg.0.log and dmesg won't explain why
firmware was installed in Wheezy but wasn't installed in Jessie. If your
trouble continues after installing firmware, previous logs are unlikely to be
helpful to resolution.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Felix Miata-3
Felix Miata composed on 2015-12-01 11:25 (UTC-0500):

> Marc Shapiro composed on 2015-12-01 07:15 (UTC-0800):

>> I will install  firmware-amd-graphics as soon as I get a chance

> firmware-linux-nonfree is what worked on Jessie for my Cedar and for Mart.

Oops. Retract. I failed conscious notice of firmware-amd-graphics in Mart's post.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Felix Miata-3
Felix Miata composed on 2015-12-01 11:50 (UTC-0500):

> Felix Miata composed on 2015-12-01 11:25 (UTC-0500):

>> Marc Shapiro composed on 2015-12-01 07:15 (UTC-0800):

>>> I will install  firmware-amd-graphics as soon as I get a chance

>> firmware-linux-nonfree is what worked on Jessie for my Cedar and for Mart.

> Oops. Retract. I failed conscious notice of firmware-amd-graphics in Mart's post.

Hmmm. My Cedar is working in Jessie, and there is no firmware-amd-graphics
installed. Neither do aptitude search firmware-amd-graphics or aptitude
search amd-graph return anything. firmware-linux-nonfree however is installed.

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Sven Arvidsson
On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 12:01 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
> Hmmm. My Cedar is working in Jessie, and there is no firmware-amd
> -graphics
> installed. Neither do aptitude search firmware-amd-graphics or
> aptitude
> search amd-graph return anything. firmware-linux-nonfree however is
> installed.

The AMD firmware used to be in firmware-linux-nonfree. Now that is a
metapackage that depends on firmware-amd-graphics and a few others.

Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Felix Miata-3
Sven Arvidsson composed on 2015-12-01 18:15 (UTC+0100):

> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 12:01 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> Hmmm. My Cedar is working in Jessie, and there is no firmware-amd-graphics
>> installed. Neither do aptitude search firmware-amd-graphics or aptitude
>> search amd-graph return anything. firmware-linux-nonfree however is
>> installed.

> The AMD firmware used to be in firmware-linux-nonfree. Now that is a
> metapackage that depends on firmware-amd-graphics and a few others.

"Now", as in Stretch and/or Sid? I searched in Jessie and failed to discover
any available firmware-amd-graphics. Is another repo besides main and updates
required? I booted same machine to Stretch, and neither package was found.
And, Stretch is also using FBDEV, like OP here, and stuck in 1280x1024 on a
1680x1050 display, with libdrm-radeon1, xserver-xorg-video-ati and
xserver-xorg-video-radeon installed. ???

http://fm.no-ip.com/Tmp/Linux/Xorg/xorg.0.log-big41-stretch-fbdev

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 16:39 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> "Now", as in Stretch and/or Sid? I searched in Jessie and failed to
> discover
> any available firmware-amd-graphics. Is another repo besides main and
> updates
> required? I booted same machine to Stretch, and neither package was
> found.
> And, Stretch is also using FBDEV, like OP here, and stuck in
> 1280x1024 on a
> 1680x1050 display, with libdrm-radeon1, xserver-xorg-video-ati and
> xserver-xorg-video-radeon installed. ???

Sid and/or stretch, I don't recall exactly when the split was made.

The clue is in the name, nonfree ;)

Sven Arvidsson
http://www.whiz.se
PGP Key ID 6FAB5CD5

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Felix Miata-3
Sven Arvidsson composed on 2015-12-01 23:05 (UTC+0100):

> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 16:39 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

>> "Now", as in Stretch and/or Sid? I searched in Jessie and failed to discover
>> any available firmware-amd-graphics. Is another repo besides main and updates
>> required? I booted same machine to Stretch, and neither package was found.
>> And, Stretch is also using FBDEV, like OP here, and stuck in 1280x1024 on a
>> 1680x1050 display, with libdrm-radeon1, xserver-xorg-video-ati and
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon installed. ???

> Sid and/or stretch, I don't recall exactly when the split was made.

> The clue is in the name, nonfree ;)

Helps to have non-free included in apt sources before searching for nonfree
packages. :-p I wonder if this omission accounts for OP?

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/

(SOLVED) Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Marc Shapiro-3
On 12/01/2015 02:05 PM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 16:39 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>> "Now", as in Stretch and/or Sid? I searched in Jessie and failed to
>> discover
>> any available firmware-amd-graphics. Is another repo besides main and
>> updates
>> required? I booted same machine to Stretch, and neither package was
>> found.
>> And, Stretch is also using FBDEV, like OP here, and stuck in
>> 1280x1024 on a
>> 1680x1050 display, with libdrm-radeon1, xserver-xorg-video-ati and
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon installed. ???
>>
> Sid and/or stretch, I don't recall exactly when the split was made.
>
> The clue is in the name, nonfree ;)

The correct package in Jessie is firmware-linux-nonfree.  It apparently
no longer pulls in anything else and has all the drivers, itself.  There
is no firmware-amd-graphics in Jessie.  Yes.  Having nonfree in your
sources list does help, but I do keep it there. Installing
firmware-linux-nonfree and rebooting was the answer.

Thank you to everybody that helped on this.  Since this is solved and
the answer wasn't found in the logs, I will pass on sending a really
long post by including the logs.

Marc

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

Mart van de Wege
Sven Arvidsson <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Tue, 2015-12-01 at 16:39 -0500, Felix Miata wrote:
>> "Now", as in Stretch and/or Sid? I searched in Jessie and failed to
>> discover
>> any available firmware-amd-graphics. Is another repo besides main and
>> updates
>> required? I booted same machine to Stretch, and neither package was
>> found.
>> And, Stretch is also using FBDEV, like OP here, and stuck in
>> 1280x1024 on a
>> 1680x1050 display, with libdrm-radeon1, xserver-xorg-video-ati and
>> xserver-xorg-video-radeon installed. ???
>>

> Sid and/or stretch, I don't recall exactly when the split was made.
>
> The clue is in the name, nonfree ;)

Ah yes. I knew I fixed it by installing firmware-linux-nonfree, as I
knew that pulled in the radeon firmware; I was unaware that it was split
in sid, and since I run sid on this laptop, I assumed that the split
that I found dated back to Jessie.

And you know what they say about assuming things... ;)

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Re: Upgrade to Jessie lost all monitor resolutions except 1024x768

cbannister
On Tue, Dec 01, 2015 at 11:25:16AM -0500, Felix Miata wrote:

> Some people think "all information" should be saved for the future. Others
> don't. It's your choice. Be aware that "all information" in the case of Xorg
> logs and dmesg is voluminous, and like other mailing list info, stays on the
> Internet forever. As some small portion of Xorg.0.log is arguably personal,
> one may not wish it to be available forever.

I'm intrigued, what personal/private information is in the Xorg log?

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

12