Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

Csányi Pál-2
Hi,

I have the Bubba Two hardware [1], and I'm running on it the Debian
Squeeze operating system so far.
I have installed Squeeze by following these steps described here:
http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2518

Now since Wheezy is out as stable release, I want to upgrade my Squeeze
system to Wheezy.

Is it possible to do this by following advices from here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html

>From where can I install the kernel for the Wheezy system for this
hardware?

Is there some dependencies regarding kernel and wheezy GNU system?
In other words, must I have on this hardware ( Bubba Two is a headless
server box ) a particular linux image that can work together with the
rest of the GNU system ( Wheezy )?

My apt sources.list is:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze main
deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
deb http://update.excito.org/ marielle main

[1] http://excito.com/
    Bubba Two is an older hardware as Bubba 3.
    It is a PowerPC.

--
Regards from Pal

Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

Csányi Pál-2
Csanyi Pal <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I have the Bubba Two hardware [1], and I'm running on it the Debian
> Squeeze operating system so far.
> I have installed Squeeze by following these steps described here:
> http://forum.excito.net/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=2518
>
> Now since Wheezy is out as stable release, I want to upgrade my Squeeze
> system to Wheezy.
>
> Is it possible to do this by following advices from here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.html
>
>>From where can I install the kernel for the Wheezy system for this
> hardware?
>
> Is there some dependencies regarding kernel and wheezy GNU system?
> In other words, must I have on this hardware ( Bubba Two is a headless
> server box ) a particular linux image that can work together with the
> rest of the GNU system ( Wheezy )?
>
> My apt sources.list is:
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian squeeze main
> deb http://security.debian.org/ squeeze/updates main
> deb http://update.excito.org/ marielle main
>
> [1] http://excito.com/
>     Bubba Two is an older hardware as Bubba 3.
>     It is a PowerPC.

I get an answer for my questions on the debian users list:

<quote>
Yes, udev in Wheezy requires a kernel >= 2.6.32 with the accept4(2)
syscall.  At least one year ago, the Squeeze kernel did not provide this
particular syscall on powerpc (it does on x86 though), and on my (purely
virtual) machine udev entered an infinite loop in the initramfs.

So before you upgrade your userland, I'd strongly recommend that you get
hold of a newer kernel first, e.g. from squeeze-backports.  How to boot
it - I don't know.
</quote>

So I expect here advices how to go?

--
Regards from Pal

Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

Lennart Sorensen
On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:56:41PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:

> I get an answer for my questions on the debian users list:
>
> <quote>
> Yes, udev in Wheezy requires a kernel >= 2.6.32 with the accept4(2)
> syscall.  At least one year ago, the Squeeze kernel did not provide this
> particular syscall on powerpc (it does on x86 though), and on my (purely
> virtual) machine udev entered an infinite loop in the initramfs.
>
> So before you upgrade your userland, I'd strongly recommend that you get
> hold of a newer kernel first, e.g. from squeeze-backports.  How to boot
> it - I don't know.
> </quote>
>
> So I expect here advices how to go?

Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main

Then do:

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-whatever-makes-sense

Options are:
llinux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc - Linux 3.2 for uniprocessor 32-bit PowerPC
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc-smp - Linux 3.2 for multiprocessor 32-bit PowerPC
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PowerPC

--
Len Sorensen

"Lennart Sorensen" <[hidden email]> writes:

> On Fri, May 24, 2013 at 10:56:41PM +0200, Csanyi Pal wrote:
>> I get an answer for my questions on the debian users list:
>>
>> <quote>
>> Yes, udev in Wheezy requires a kernel >= 2.6.32 with the accept4(2)
>> syscall.  At least one year ago, the Squeeze kernel did not provide this
>> particular syscall on powerpc (it does on x86 though), and on my (purely
>> virtual) machine udev entered an infinite loop in the initramfs.
>>
>> So before you upgrade your userland, I'd strongly recommend that you get
>> hold of a newer kernel first, e.g. from squeeze-backports.  How to boot
>> it - I don't know.
>> </quote>
>>
>> So I expect here advices how to go?
>
> Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main
>
> Then do:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install linux-image-whatever-makes-sense
>
> Options are:
> llinux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc - Linux 3.2 for uniprocessor 32-bit
> PowerPC
> linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc-smp - Linux 3.2 for multiprocessor
> 32-bit PowerPC
> linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PowerPC

I just realize by using the command 'uname -a' on that system that that
I actually uses:
Linux b2 2.6.39.4-4 #1 Fri Aug 19 14:41:59 CEST 2011 ppc GNU/Linux

linux kernel.

So I think I can go with upgrade my system following advices from here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/powerpc/release-notes/

Can I really go?

--
Regards from Pal

Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

frank
Hi guys can someone teach me  please how to add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
is this done in terminal?, i type this in the terminal and get this.

root@dsl:/home/frank#  /etc/apt/sources.list:
bash: /etc/apt/sources.list:: No such file or directory
root@dsl:/home/frank#

Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:

deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main

Then do:

apt-get update
apt-get install linux-image-whatever-makes-sense

Options are:
llinux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc - Linux 3.2 for uniprocessor 32-bit PowerPC
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc-smp - Linux 3.2 for multiprocessor 32-bit PowerPC
linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PowerPC

Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

http
Frank,

At the prompt, type:

root@dsl:/home/frank# nano /etc/apt/sources.list

The text editor nano has keyboard shortcuts listed at the bottom of the screen; the ^ character means "Control key", so "^O"
means "control o".  Arrow keys work as expected.  When you're done, ^X exits, after asking you to save changes or not.

On 16/09/13 03:59 PM, frank wrote:

> Hi guys can someone teach me  please how to add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
> is this done in terminal?, i type this in the terminal and get this.
>
> root@dsl:/home/frank#  /etc/apt/sources.list:
> bash: /etc/apt/sources.list:: No such file or directory
> root@dsl:/home/frank#
>

> Add to /etc/apt/sources.list:
>
> deb http://backports.debian.org/debian-backports/ squeeze-backports main
>
> Then do:
>
> apt-get update
> apt-get install linux-image-whatever-makes-sense
>
> Options are:
> llinux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc - Linux 3.2 for uniprocessor 32-bit
> PowerPC
> linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc-smp - Linux 3.2 for multiprocessor 32-bit
> PowerPC
> linux-image-3.2.0-0.bpo.4-powerpc64 - Linux 3.2 for 64-bit PowerPC

Re: Upgrading Squeeze to Wheezy on Bubba Two hardware

gw-isJ-aB-superstar
hi frank

you're just in the wrong directory for /etc... (you were at home)
first do cd / to get to root

then go to /etc/apt
then type "nano sources.list" and add your stuff (the cd image should already be in your list; see the reference guide to add the correct other mirrors)

apt-get update
then
apt-get upgrade (or dist-upgrade)
will get you up to date

On 17.09.2013, at 00:59, frank <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

first part of what i said is wrong, sorry i misread what you'd typed
(you don't have to ce to root first to get to any other absolute directory)

see the other e-mail another member just posted, for help with nano