Using gconftool-2 for another user...

David BERCOT
Hi,

I'd like to set values in gconf tree, from the root account to another
account...
In the doc, I saw --owner and other options but none of them seems to
work.

May you give me a clue ?

Thank you very much.

David.

Re: Using gconftool-2 for another user...

Loïc Minier
On Mon, Dec 04, 2006, David BERCOT wrote:
> I'd like to set values in gconf tree, from the root account to another
> account...

 Either set "--config-source" to the home dir (/home/$user/.gconf, see
 /etc/gconf/2/path) and run gconftool as root, then chown+chmod the
 files; or simply "su - $user" and run gconftool.

 If you wish to set settings for all users, you should write them as
 root into /etc/gconf instead, see /etc/gconf/2/path.

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>
  "You see, killbots have a preset kill limit.  Knowing their weakness,

Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 11:06 +0100, Loïc Minier a écrit :
> On Mon, Dec 04, 2006, David BERCOT wrote:
> > I'd like to set values in gconf tree, from the root account to another
> > account...
>
>  Either set "--config-source" to the home dir (/home/$user/.gconf, see
>  /etc/gconf/2/path) and run gconftool as root, then chown+chmod the
>  files; or simply "su - $user" and run gconftool.

I've tried --config-source=/home/$user/.gconf and it says :

# gconftool-2 --config-source=/home/david.bercot/.gconf --get
"/apps/evolution/mail/accounts"
L'accès a(ux) source(s) de configuration a échoué : Impossible de
résoudre l'adresse de la source de configuration: Impossible de résoudre
l'adresse de la source de configuration: Adresse incorrecte
« /home/david.bercot/.gconf »

>  If you wish to set settings for all users, you should write them as
>  root into /etc/gconf instead, see /etc/gconf/2/path.

Yes, it would be a good solution. But if a user has the same key, which
one will  be the last : the /etc/gconf one or the /home/$user/.gconf
one ?

Thank you.

David.

Re: Using gconftool-2 for another user...

Josselin Mouette
Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 11:43 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> I've tried --config-source=/home/$user/.gconf and it says :
>
> # gconftool-2 --config-source=/home/david.bercot/.gconf --get
> "/apps/evolution/mail/accounts"
> L'accès a(ux) source(s) de configuration a échoué : Impossible de
> résoudre l'adresse de la source de configuration: Impossible de résoudre
> l'adresse de la source de configuration: Adresse incorrecte
> « /home/david.bercot/.gconf »

The correct config source would be "xml::/home/$user/.gconf".

> >  If you wish to set settings for all users, you should write them as
> >  root into /etc/gconf instead, see /etc/gconf/2/path.
>
> Yes, it would be a good solution. But if a user has the same key, which
> one will  be the last : the /etc/gconf one or the /home/$user/.gconf
> one ?

This is all your choice. You can set default settings or mandatory
settings. The simplest way to do that is to launch gconf-editor as root.
It can open you "defaults" and "mandatory" settings windows.

--
Josselin Mouette                /\./\

"Do you have any more insane proposals for me?"

Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 12:18 +0100, Josselin Mouette a écrit :

> Le lundi 04 décembre 2006 à 11:43 +0100, David BERCOT a écrit :
> > I've tried --config-source=/home/$user/.gconf and it says :
> >
> > # gconftool-2 --config-source=/home/david.bercot/.gconf --get
> > "/apps/evolution/mail/accounts"
> > L'accès a(ux) source(s) de configuration a échoué : Impossible de
> > résoudre l'adresse de la source de configuration: Impossible de résoudre
> > l'adresse de la source de configuration: Adresse incorrecte
> > « /home/david.bercot/.gconf »
>
> The correct config source would be "xml::/home/$user/.gconf".

Ah, OK !

> > >  If you wish to set settings for all users, you should write them as
> > >  root into /etc/gconf instead, see /etc/gconf/2/path.
> >
> > Yes, it would be a good solution. But if a user has the same key, which
> > one will  be the last : the /etc/gconf one or the /home/$user/.gconf
> > one ?
>
> This is all your choice. You can set default settings or mandatory
> settings. The simplest way to do that is to launch gconf-editor as root.
> It can open you "defaults" and "mandatory" settings windows.

Thank you very much. I understand now ;-)

Just a last question : how can I set a long value (ie :
[<?xml version="1.0"?><account name="David [Wanadoo\]"
uid="1121878401.5156.0@debian-david" enabled="true"><identity>[...]) ?

Thank you.

David.