Very light "private" cloud

Michelle Konzack-2
Good day,

I am searching vor a OwnCloud/NextCloud replacement, because I use
exclusively and can not use MySQL.  Also the updates drive me nuts
and its resurce conumption.

Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?

Preferable without ANY databases and written in PHP5 for possibel
extensions?

I need only access for maybe 10 (active) users and a bunch of users
which have to get read access zu certain files/directories

I want to use a seperated host like <https://extranet.example.eu/>

Any suggestions?

OK, I can code it my self, but currently I have ABSOLUTELY NOT TIME,
because I have to care about a new Organic Farm where I am co-owner
and only person working there curently. The house is only half ready
without roof, which I get in August and currently I drive with a 1,8t
Bobcat over the farm making 100s of meters trenches for waterpipes
and cables.  Hell, Estonia is the land of limestone and rocks!
Digging deeper then 30cm is a kick in the ass!

Thanks in advance and nice day
(we have since 3 weeks between 24°C and 30°C and no rain in sight)

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Very light "private" cloud

basti-3
Am 29.05.2018 um 11:47 schrieb Michelle Konzack:

> Good day,
>
> I am searching vor a OwnCloud/NextCloud replacement, because I use
> exclusively and can not use MySQL.  Also the updates drive me nuts
> and its resurce conumption.
>
> Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?
>
> Preferable without ANY databases and written in PHP5 for possibel
> extensions?
>
> I need only access for maybe 10 (active) users and a bunch of users
> which have to get read access zu certain files/directories
>
> I want to use a seperated host like <https://extranet.example.eu/>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> OK, I can code it my self, but currently I have ABSOLUTELY NOT TIME,
> because I have to care about a new Organic Farm where I am co-owner
> and only person working there curently. The house is only half ready
> without roof, which I get in August and currently I drive with a 1,8t
> Bobcat over the farm making 100s of meters trenches for waterpipes
> and cables.  Hell, Estonia is the land of limestone and rocks!
> Digging deeper then 30cm is a kick in the ass!
>
> Thanks in advance and nice day
> (we have since 3 weeks between 24°C and 30°C and no rain in sight)

Hello,

first of all owncloud can also be used with PostgreSQL.

Have also a look of Seafile or pydio?
Simply search for owncloud alternative at your search engine.

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Ben Oliver
Only thing I can vouch for is syncthing, which is a little more setup
but worth it. You don't get a webGUI to actually view and download files
though, only to manage clients.

So it kind of depends on your use case - what is device A and what is
device B that people want to sync between? Is it a laptop and phone? Do
you need online login?

Another one I have tried is Seafile, but it needs a DB (but it does do
SQLite...). It had fewer features back when I used it, but it was
focused heavily on file sharing which was nice. I like it more than
nextcloud for performance.

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Dan Purgert
Michelle Konzack wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am searching vor a OwnCloud/NextCloud replacement, because I use
> exclusively and can not use MySQL.  Also the updates drive me nuts
> and its resurce conumption.
>
> Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?
>
> Preferable without ANY databases and written in PHP5 for possibel
> extensions?

Offhand, content-management systems come to mind, but none of those are
particularly "light" (nor do they fit that "no database" desire).

However, do you really need the "pretty" that a website gives you?  I
mean, if it's just simple file transfers that you're after, something
like SFTP may fit the bill.

--
|_|O|_| Registered Linux user #585947

Re: Very light "private" cloud

ntrfug
I started using OwnCloud three years ago, in order to avoid the i cloud.

I noticed especially in the last upgrade that it has become much easier
and more straightforward.

I can't imagine a cloud that doesn't use a database, though there is
probably a solution that won't involve mySQL.

On Tue, 29 May 2018 12:47:45 +0300
"Michelle Konzack" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Good day,
>
> I am searching vor a OwnCloud/NextCloud replacement, because I use
> exclusively and can not use MySQL.  Also the updates drive me nuts
> and its resurce conumption.
>
> Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?
>
> Preferable without ANY databases and written in PHP5 for possibel
> extensions?
>
> I need only access for maybe 10 (active) users and a bunch of users
> which have to get read access zu certain files/directories
>
> I want to use a seperated host like <https://extranet.example.eu/>
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> OK, I can code it my self, but currently I have ABSOLUTELY NOT TIME,
> because I have to care about a new Organic Farm where I am co-owner
> and only person working there curently. The house is only half ready
> without roof, which I get in August and currently I drive with a 1,8t
> Bobcat over the farm making 100s of meters trenches for waterpipes
> and cables.  Hell, Estonia is the land of limestone and rocks!
> Digging deeper then 30cm is a kick in the ass!
>
> Thanks in advance and nice day
> (we have since 3 weeks between 24°C and 30°C and no rain in sight)

Re: Very light "private" cloud

deloptes-2
Michelle Konzack wrote:

> OK, I can code it my self, but currently I have ABSOLUTELY NOT TIME,
> because I have to care about a new Organic Farm where I am co-owner
> and only person working there curently. The house is only half ready
> without roof, which I get in August and currently I drive with a 1,8t
> Bobcat over the farm making 100s of meters trenches for waterpipes
> and cables.  Hell, Estonia is the land of limestone and rocks!
> Digging deeper then 30cm is a kick in the ass!
>
> Thanks in advance and nice day
> (we have since 3 weeks between 24°C and 30°C and no rain in sight)

How this does contribute to the original question. If everybody starts
writing here his/her daily business or life stories, it will finish the
list.

please, for the future. BTW good luck with your undertaking - and make one
thing after the other. I guess the cloud solution will not change in the
next couple of months, so it can wait.

regards

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Gene Heskett-4
On Tuesday 29 May 2018 16:47:48 deloptes wrote:

> Michelle Konzack wrote:
> > OK, I can code it my self, but currently I have ABSOLUTELY NOT TIME,
> > because I have to care about a new Organic Farm where I am co-owner
> > and only person working there curently. The house is only half ready
> > without roof, which I get in August and currently I drive with a
> > 1,8t Bobcat over the farm making 100s of meters trenches for
> > waterpipes and cables.  Hell, Estonia is the land of limestone and
> > rocks! Digging deeper then 30cm is a kick in the ass!
> >
> > Thanks in advance and nice day
> > (we have since 3 weeks between 24°C and 30°C and no rain in sight)
>
> How this does contribute to the original question. If everybody starts
> writing here his/her daily business or life stories, it will finish
> the list.

I OTOH, feel I have to defend her. First, I had no clue where she hails
from, so I now know, and a wee bit about a place on the far side of the
planet, so reading about her current situation educates me a bit about a
fellow human. One who has been a steady poster, and helpfull to many, on
this list for quite some time.

> please, for the future. BTW good luck with your undertaking - and make
> one thing after the other. I guess the cloud solution will not change
> in the next couple of months, so it can wait.
>
> regards

Take care on that bobcat Michelle, they are a rough ride.

--
Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)

Re: Very light "private" cloud

deloptes-2
Gene Heskett wrote:

> I OTOH, feel I have to defend her. First, I had no clue where she hails
> from, so I now know, and a wee bit about a place on the far side of the
> planet, so reading about her current situation educates me a bit about a
> fellow human. One who has been a steady poster, and helpfull to many, on
> this list for quite some time.

Agree with you, but if you care, you could always reply private and ask her,
correct?
At least I have to admit the information was not too much and not too less
to bother, but still ... it had nothing to do with the question.

regards

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Michelle Konzack-2
Good morning,

Am 2018-05-29 hackte Dan Purgert in die Tasten:
> Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?

> Offhand, content-management systems come to mind, but none of those
> are
> particularly "light" (nor do they fit that "no database" desire).
>
> However, do you really need the "pretty" that a website gives you?  I
> mean, if it's just simple file transfers that you're after, something
> like SFTP may fit the bill.

Tell the bookkeeper to download all those pfd invoices and whatelse
per SFTP?  --  Sounds funny except if there is a Linux Geek!  ;-)

Generally we need only a comfortable web based interface where we
can

1) have accounts for regular users
2) can create/remove directories
3) upload/delete files
4) give other peoples password access to specified files/directories

That it is...

Thanks in advance

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Michelle Konzack-2

Am 2018-05-29 hackte deloptes in die Tasten:
> How this does contribute to the original question. If everybody starts
> writing here his/her daily business or life stories, it will finish
> the
> list.

It has something to do with it, because normally I would code things
I need myself!  Since my house is not ready and I have move out on
31th from my provisory flat and continue living in my Sprinter, I have
not the possibility to code anythin currently!

> please, for the future. BTW good luck with your undertaking - and make
> one
> thing after the other. I guess the cloud solution will not change in
> the
> next couple of months, so it can wait.

I need a light and fast solution!

> regards

Thanks in advance

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Michelle Konzack-2
Hello Gene,

Am 2018-05-29 hackte Gene Heskett in die Tasten:

> On Tuesday 29 May 2018 16:47:48 deloptes wrote:
> I OTOH, feel I have to defend her. First, I had no clue where she
> hails
> from, so I now know, and a wee bit about a place on the far side of
> the
> planet, so reading about her current situation educates me a bit about
> fellow human. One who has been a steady poster, and helpfull to many,
> on
> this list for quite some time.

Thankyou.

> Take care on that bobcat Michelle, they are a rough ride.

Too late!

I have already discovered thet the hydraulic is very rough.
I August/September I get my Prefered 7t or 11t excavator with backhoe
which is another class.

I have a 1,8t one and was yesterday alredy falling in a 25cm deep
ditch and instead of digging with the Bobcat I diged me out by hand.

Discovered, that the Bobcat can not realy cope with a slope of more
then 10 degree...

Thanks in advance

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Very light "private" cloud

tomas@tuxteam.de

Re: Very light "private" cloud

tomas@tuxteam.de

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Mart van de Wege
"Michelle Konzack" <[hidden email]> writes:

> Good day,
>
> I am searching vor a OwnCloud/NextCloud replacement, because I use
> exclusively and can not use MySQL.  Also the updates drive me nuts
> and its resurce conumption.
>
> Is there something MUCH MORE simplier and lighter?
>
> Preferable without ANY databases and written in PHP5 for possibel
> extensions?
>
> I need only access for maybe 10 (active) users and a bunch of users
> which have to get read access zu certain files/directories
>
> I want to use a seperated host like <https://extranet.example.eu/>
>
> Any suggestions?

Seafile.

I used it at my previous job, and it works fine. Bonus: it has Debian
packages, and it is Free Software.

Mart
--- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Michelle Konzack-2

Am 2018-05-30 hackte [hidden email] in die Tasten:
> On Wed, May 30, 2018 at 08:13:22AM +0300, Michelle Konzack wrote:
>> Tell the bookkeeper to download all those pfd invoices and whatelse
>> per SFTP?  --  Sounds funny except if there is a Linux Geek!  ;-)
>
> Your bookkeeper's browser most probably talks sftp -- so you just send
> her this funny URL starting with sftp://.
>
> Most probably (s)he won't even notice :-)

1:0 for you...
Most of this office peoples are just stupid!

--
Michelle Konzack        Miila ITSystems @ TDnet
GNU/Linux Developer     00372-54541400

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Stefan Monnier
> I used it at my previous job, and it works fine. Bonus: it has Debian
> packages, and it is Free Software.

I only see packages for the client side.
Is there a Debian package for the server side (like there used to be
for owncloud)?

        Stefan

Re: Very light "private" cloud

Mart van de Wege
Stefan Monnier <[hidden email]> writes:

>> I used it at my previous job, and it works fine. Bonus: it has Debian
>> packages, and it is Free Software.
>
> I only see packages for the client side.

Eh. You're right.

The Seafile site has a download for the server though.

Regards,

Michelle Konzack wrote:

> It has something to do with it, because normally I would code things
> I need myself!  Since my house is not ready and I have move out on
> 31th from my provisory flat and continue living in my Sprinter, I have
> not the possibility to code anythin currently!

I don't know how excellent developer you are, but when I hear "I can code it
myself" many red lights flash.

Anyone could code anything - it is just matter of time - to learn coding, to
develop skills and to code. But this is not the end, after coding you need
testing and so on. So if you sit down to code something from scratch that
means that you have found a niche.
I don't know if this logic applies to your case, but it would be wise to use
some kind of collaboration framework ... and well about the database - I am
even not sure if what you state is true. But I leave it here. I heard about
your background, but it is going OT.
I just wonder why you choose Estonia, but it is also OT - I have a friend
that offers server space - hosts located in EU and he admins his own
servers - so everything is under our control there (more or less) - I have
one free domain slot/IP - for about 40€/y with all you need - let me know
if interested. It uses Installatron with tons of tools to install and some
kind of cloud should be there too, though I have not looked for long time
at the software list, but it could be that you find something useful.
contact me off list

regards