Video editing

Rodolfo Medina
Hi to all Debian users.

I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off and
select pieces of a video file.

Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

JoeHill-2
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
> and select pieces of a video file.
>
> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Avidemux.

Re: Video editing

Ron Johnson
On 12/07/08 17:42, JoeHill wrote:
> Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>> and select pieces of a video file.

You don't mention what format the video is in.

>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>
> Avidemux.

Also, gopchop, if it's MPEG.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Re: Video editing

Johann Spies
On Sun, Dec 07, 2008 at 08:36:54PM -0600, Ron Johnson wrote:

>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>>
>> Avidemux.
>
> Also, gopchop, if it's MPEG.

With Kino you can import the video and edit it.  I have recently
worked on a few mpg's and used kino.  I found it a bit easier to work
with than avidemux.  The drawback is that kino converts the mpg to a
.dv which is about 9 times bigger than the mpg.

Regards
Johann

--
Johann Spies          Telefoon: 021-808 4036

     "For I am the LORD your God: ye shall therefore
      sanctify yourselves, and ye shall be holy; for I am
      holy:"          Leviticus 11:44

Re: Video editing

thveillon.debian
Rodolfo Medina a écrit :

> Hi to all Debian users.
>
> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off and
> select pieces of a video file.
>
> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>
> Thanks for any help
> Rodolfo

Hi,

The aforementioned tools will do the job, but for the sake of choice :

"Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
good precision in your cuts.

"Cinelerra" is complete overkill for just a few video, but if you're a
video enthusiast you can give it a try, again debian-multimedia.

"EKD" is very simple and straightforward, a bit young but already
usable, it's at http://download.tuxfamily.org/ekdforum/ekd/

"openmovieeditor" in Debian-multimedia, I don't use it, but it has built
a good reputation and is rapidly growing.

"Kdenlive", in debian-multimedia, it's meant for kde but can be used
outside too, works a lot like kino without the dv only limitation.

Tom

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina
Rodolfo Medina a écrit :

>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>
>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>> and  select pieces of a video file.
>>
>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

Thanks to all who replied.

The file format is .vob.  A couple more questions:

How can I install avidemux via apt-get?  What's the package name?

Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats.  Will avidemux or the
other tools mentioned do that?

Thanks again!
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Ron Johnson
On 12/08/08 07:36, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
>
>>> Hi to all Debian users.
>>>
>>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>>> and  select pieces of a video file.
>>>
>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>

> Thanks to all who replied.
>
> The file format is .vob.

IOW, it's MPEG-2.

>                           A couple more questions:
 >
> How can I install avidemux via apt-get?  What's the package name?

You'll need to add this to your sources.list, where BRANCH in (etch
lenny sid experimental):

deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org ${BRANCH} main

> Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
> beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats.  Will avidemux or the
> other tools mentioned do that?

Kino might.

JoeHill <[hidden email]> writes:

> Avidemux.

Thanks, this works, but the audio is eliminated!  Anyone can help about why
this happens and to work it out?  Even when trying to play the original file,
avidemux claims that there is `trouble initialising audio device', whereas
Mplayer plays it without problems.  What can I do?

Thanks for any help
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina

Johann Spies <[hidden email]> writes:

> With Kino you can import the video and edit it.  I have recently
> worked on a few mpg's and used kino.  I found it a bit easier to work
> with than avidemux.  The drawback is that kino converts the mpg to a
> .dv which is about 9 times bigger than the mpg.

With Kino I didn't manage to import *any* file.  Can anyone explain why?  It
simply says that it `couldn't import' that file.

Thanks
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina

"thveillon.debian" <[hidden email]> writes:

> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
> good precision in your cuts.

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
MB big.

Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

H.S.
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
> beginning of the file, also for mpg and other formats.  Will avidemux or the
> other tools mentioned do that?

I have used Kino to do this in my movies grabbed with a minidv
camcorder. Text fade in, fade out, overlay, scrolling text at the
bottome, rolling credits, etc.

->HS

ever having been read.

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Kino might.

But it only handles dv files.  So, there's no hope for other formats like mpeg*
etc?

Thanks
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Olivier Deckers
It is normal that there is no sound during the editing. After exporting
the video, there should be sound.

Rodolfo Medina schreef:

> Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
>

>>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>>> and select pieces of a video file.
>>>
>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>>>

> "thveillon.debian" <[hidden email]> writes:
>

>> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
>> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
>> good precision in your cuts.
>>

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
> MB big.
>
> Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Pedro Insua-2
On Tue, Dec 09, 2008 at 07:33:54PM +0000, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> On 12/08/08 07:36, Rodolfo Medina wrote:
>
> >> Another thing I want to do is adding a simple text presentation at the
> >> beginning of the file
>

> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
> > Kino might.
>

> But it only handles dv files.  So, there's no hope for other formats like mpeg*
> etc?

  You can use 'mplayer' to convert the file, and then, import it with
  'kino'.

--
Porqu� loitar e matar, se podes amar e sonhar

/"\
\ /  CAMPANHA DA FITA ASCII - CONTRA MAIL HTML
 X   ASCII RIBBON CAMPAIGN - AGAINST HTML MAIL
/ \

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina
Rodolfo Medina wrote:

>>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>>> and select pieces of a video file.
>>>
>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?

JoeHill <[hidden email]> writes:

>> Avidemux.

Rodolfo:

Olivier Deckers <[hidden email]> writes:

> It is normal that there is no sound during the editing. After exporting the
> video, there should be sound.

In Avidemux, after editing the file, I save it.  Then I play it with Mplayer
and there's no sound.

Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Ron Johnson
On 12/09/08 13:31, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Rodolfo Medina a écrit :
>
>>> I want to divide a video file into two pieces, or, more in general, cut off
>>> and select pieces of a video file.
>>>
>>> Please someone suggest a proper video editing program that does that?
>

> "thveillon.debian" <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
>> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
>> good precision in your cuts.
>

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
> MB big.

Try gopchop.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

Re: Video editing

Arc Roca
Use ffmpeg, it allows you to select the start-time and end-time of cut you need. First do ffmpeg -i file.avi , it will tell you the info about vthe original file. Go from there.
man ffmpeg

writes:

>> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well,
decomposing
>> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to
achieve
>> good precision in your cuts.
>

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one
about 900
> MB big.

Try gopchop.

-- Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

How does being physically handicapped make me Differently-Abled?
What different abilities do I have?

-- To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to [hidden email] with a subject
of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact [hidden email]

Re: Video editing

Rodolfo Medina

Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:

> Try gopchop.

Thanks!  It seems to work perfectly.  But now I need also to append two video
files one another.  What I'm trying to do is to select pieces from a dvd.

Thanks for further help
Rodolfo

Re: Video editing

Ron Johnson
On 12/09/08 16:29, Rodolfo Medina wrote:

> Ron Johnson <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Try gopchop.
>

> Thanks!  It seems to work perfectly.  But now I need also to append two video
> files one another.  What I'm trying to do is to select pieces from a dvd.

I *think* that plain old cat will successfully join them.

$ cat f1.mpeg f2.mpeg > big.mpeg

Rodolfo Medina wrote :

>> "thveillon.debian" <[hidden email]> writes:
>>
>> "Lives" from debian-multimedia will do the job pretty well, decomposing
>> the video frame by frame before editing it, so you'll be able to achieve
>> good precision in your cuts.
>

> Unfortunately it doesn't seem to handle larger files, and I have one about 900
> MB big.
>
> Rodolfo

Yep, for this kind of files use Cinelerra, you won't suffer any size or
format limitation, there's plenty of filters/text/effects available, and
it's not crashing too often those days...

Tom