Virtual Box

Peter Hillier-Brook
Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
Buster repositories.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Peter HB

Re: Virtual Box

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 02 Aug 12:11 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> Buster repositories.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

I grabbed the .debs from the Sid repository and manually installed them.
I've not gotten around to setting up pinning to track them
automatically.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: Virtual Box

Étienne Mollier
phb, on 2019-08-02:
> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> Buster repositories.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Good day Peter,

If you can afford a change of virtualization technology, then
you could try one of the free and open source alternatives made
available in Debian 10 perhaps.  Notably, one can mention Qemu,
Xen, and KVM.

Since you are coming from the VirtualBox world, I would suggest
to check out the package "virt-manager" which provides a GUI
allowing to drive your KVM virtual machines.  You may find more
details about this program on its homepage:

        https://virt-manager.org/

But the best way to get an idea of how things work in there, is
to try it by yourself.  In the early days of virt-manager in
Debian, there were several subtleties to be aware of once you
wanted an advanced setup, but I believe things went better in
later Debian revisions.

Kind Regards,
--
Étienne Mollier <[hidden email]>
               5ab1 4edf 63bb ccff 8b54 2fa9 59da 56fe fff3 882d

Re: Virtual Box

Erwan David

On 8/2/19 7:03 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> Buster repositories.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Peter HB

You can install on buster the ubuntu bionic version  from virtualbox
repositories.

You cannot install the strech one, because stretch used libcurl3 and
buster uses libcurl4

Re: Virtual Box

Patrick Bartek-2
On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 18:03:51 +0100
Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> Buster repositories.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?

Download the .deb directly from Oracle's web site.  This is the way I've
always installed Virtualbox.  Never used the Debian repo versions
ever.  Don't forget the Host Extensions package.

To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
which dpkg does not.

Re: Virtual Box

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 02/08/2019 18:39, Étienne Mollier wrote:

> phb, on 2019-08-02:
>> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
>> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
>> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
>> Buster repositories.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Good day Peter,
>
> If you can afford a change of virtualization technology, then
> you could try one of the free and open source alternatives made
> available in Debian 10 perhaps.  Notably, one can mention Qemu,
> Xen, and KVM.
>
> Since you are coming from the VirtualBox world, I would suggest
> to check out the package "virt-manager" which provides a GUI
> allowing to drive your KVM virtual machines.  You may find more
> details about this program on its homepage:
>
> https://virt-manager.org/
>
> But the best way to get an idea of how things work in there, is
> to try it by yourself.  In the early days of virt-manager in
> Debian, there were several subtleties to be aware of once you
> wanted an advanced setup, but I believe things went better in
> later Debian revisions.

A kind thought, but not this year. :-)

Re: Virtual Box

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 02/08/2019 21:44, Erwan David wrote:

> On 8/2/19 7:03 PM, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
>> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
>> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
>> Buster repositories.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>> Peter HB
>>

> You can install on buster the ubuntu bionic version  from virtualbox
> repositories.
>
> You cannot install the strech one, because stretch used libcurl3 and
> buster uses libcurl4

That sounds like a step too far into the past, but thanks for the thought.

Re: Virtual Box

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 02/08/2019 22:42, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Fri, 2 Aug 2019 18:03:51 +0100
> Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
>> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
>> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
>> Buster repositories.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Download the .deb directly from Oracle's web site.  This is the way I've
> always installed Virtualbox.  Never used the Debian repo versions
> ever.  Don't forget the Host Extensions package.
>
> To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> which dpkg does not.

That looks like a job for tomorrow. Many thanks for the tip.

Re: Virtual Box

deloptes-2
Étienne Mollier wrote:

> If you can afford a change of virtualization technology, then
> you could try one of the free and open source alternatives made
> available in Debian 10 perhaps.  Notably, one can mention Qemu,
> Xen, and KVM.

So I say my toy is broken and you say take that other toy ... do you have
children? I do not think they would like such advise.

the question was how to fix

Re: Virtual Box

deloptes-2
Patrick Bartek wrote:

> Download the .deb directly from Oracle's web site.  This is the way I've
> always installed Virtualbox.  Never used the Debian repo versions
> ever.  Don't forget the Host Extensions package.
>
> To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> which dpkg does not.

Best advise!

And also to note that there is repository if I am not mistaken, that you can
add.

regards

Re: Virtual Box

Rick Thomas-14

> On Aug 2, 2019, at 10:03 AM, Peter Hillier-Brook <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> Buster repositories.
>
> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> Peter HB

A little googling found this website
    https://tecadmin.net/install-virtualbox-on-debian-10-buster/
which tells how to install the Oracle 6.0 VirtualBox using the usual “apt” tools.

It talks about using the “add-apt-repository” command, which is not usually installed as part of Buster.  I worked around that by simply editing the /etc/apt/sources.list file manually.

I’m using virtualbox as described in that webpage as I type.  Works great!

Hope that helps!
Rick

Re: Virtual Box

Patrick Bartek-2
On Sat, 03 Aug 2019 03:22:24 +0200
deloptes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> > Download the .deb directly from Oracle's web site.  This is the way I've
> > always installed Virtualbox.  Never used the Debian repo versions
> > ever.  Don't forget the Host Extensions package.
> >
> > To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> > version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> > which dpkg does not.
>
> Best advise!
>
> And also to note that there is repository if I am not mistaken, that you can
> add.

The Virtualbox repo gets added automatically when you install
Oracle's .deb package.  At least it does on previous installs I've
done.  Then all update/upgrades to VB comes from THAT repo not Debian's.

Re: Virtual Box

Sven Hartge-5
Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On 2019 02 Aug 12:11 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

>> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
>> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
>> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
>> Buster repositories.
>>
>> Anyone have any thoughts?

> I grabbed the .debs from the Sid repository and manually installed
> them.  I've not gotten around to setting up pinning to track them
> automatically.

This will work for now, because Buster and Sid are still quite similar
but as soon as Sid diverges farther from Buster, this will fail or
worse, pull many dependencies from Sid into you Buster installation.

S!

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

Re: Virtual Box

Nate Bargmann-4
* On 2019 03 Aug 02:25 -0500, Sven Hartge wrote:

> Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On 2019 02 Aug 12:11 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>
> >> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
> >> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
> >> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
> >> Buster repositories.
> >>
> >> Anyone have any thoughts?
>
> > I grabbed the .debs from the Sid repository and manually installed
> > them.  I've not gotten around to setting up pinning to track them
> > automatically.
>
> This will work for now, because Buster and Sid are still quite similar
> but as soon as Sid diverges farther from Buster, this will fail or
> worse, pull many dependencies from Sid into you Buster installation.
I understand that.  I hope that by that time I'll be so bored with the
stability of Buster that it will be time to move up to Bullseye while it
is still Testing.

- Nate

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Web: https://www.n0nb.us
Projects: https://github.com/N0NB

Re: Virtual Box

Peter Hillier-Brook
On 02/08/2019 18:03, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:

Thanks to all for useful input. Thanks to a little brain fade I hadn't
been able to find the Oracle repository, but all is now well.

Peter HB

Re: Virtual Box

Greg Wooledge
On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 02:42:36PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> which dpkg does not.

Or simply use "apt install ./whatever.deb".  Don't forget the leading
"./" or "../" or "/" characters.  They tell apt that this is a filename
instead of a package name.  Then, apt will resolve the dependencies.

Re: Virtual Box

Patrick Bartek-2
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:41:06 -0400
Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 02:42:36PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> > version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> > which dpkg does not.
>
> Or simply use "apt install ./whatever.deb".  Don't forget the leading
> "./" or "../" or "/" characters.  They tell apt that this is a filename
> instead of a package name.  Then, apt will resolve the dependencies.

That little feature is not mentioned in the man pages.  Never got
around to reading the full docs.  Have to try it next time.

FWIW, I've been using gdebi-core since Wheezy when dpkg was the usual
way to install a local .deb file.  Liked its simplicity and just
continued with it with Stretch.

Re: Virtual Box

Greg Wooledge
On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:44:35AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:41:06 -0400
> Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 02:42:36PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > > To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> > > version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> > > which dpkg does not.
> >
> > Or simply use "apt install ./whatever.deb".  Don't forget the leading
> > "./" or "../" or "/" characters.  They tell apt that this is a filename
> > instead of a package name.  Then, apt will resolve the dependencies.
> >

> That little feature is not mentioned in the man pages.  Never got
> around to reading the full docs.  Have to try it next time.
>
> FWIW, I've been using gdebi-core since Wheezy when dpkg was the usual
> way to install a local .deb file.  Liked its simplicity and just
> continued with it with Stretch.

Yeah, that's fair.  I think the "apt install ./foo.deb" thing was added
in stretch, so it's quite new.

Re: Virtual Box

Patrick Bartek-2
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:50:07 -0400
Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:44:35AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:41:06 -0400
> > Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > Or simply use "apt install ./whatever.deb".  Don't forget the leading
> > > "./" or "../" or "/" characters.  They tell apt that this is a filename
> > > instead of a package name.  Then, apt will resolve the dependencies.
> > >

> > That little feature is not mentioned in the man pages.  Never got
> > around to reading the full docs.  Have to try it next time.
> >
> > FWIW, I've been using gdebi-core since Wheezy when dpkg was the usual
> > way to install a local .deb file.  Liked its simplicity and just
> > continued with it with Stretch.
>
> Yeah, that's fair.  I think the "apt install ./foo.deb" thing was added
> in stretch, so it's quite new.

Well, Stretch was my first exposure to apt.  I used Wheezy (and apt-get)
from RC3 or 4 (replacing Fedora 12) until long term support for it
ended in 2018, then moved to Stretch skipping Jessie entirely.

I've read that apt released in 2014 or so.  Its man page in Stretch is
dated 2015.  So, it could have been available first in Jessie, but have
no idea if the local .deb install with dependency checking was included
then, but probably was.  No matter.  apt makes things easier compared to
the apt-get/apt-cache/etc suite of commands.

Re: Virtual Box

David Wright-3
On Mon 05 Aug 2019 at 12:06:57 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:

> On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:50:07 -0400 Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> > > That little feature is not mentioned in the man pages.  Never got
> > > around to reading the full docs.  Have to try it next time.
> > >
> > > FWIW, I've been using gdebi-core since Wheezy when dpkg was the usual
> > > way to install a local .deb file.  Liked its simplicity and just
> > > continued with it with Stretch.
> >
> > Yeah, that's fair.  I think the "apt install ./foo.deb" thing was added
> > in stretch, so it's quite new.
>
> Well, Stretch was my first exposure to apt.  I used Wheezy (and apt-get)
> from RC3 or 4 (replacing Fedora 12) until long term support for it
> ended in 2018, then moved to Stretch skipping Jessie entirely.
>
> I've read that apt released in 2014 or so.  Its man page in Stretch is
> dated 2015.  So, it could have been available first in Jessie, but have
> no idea if the local .deb install with dependency checking was included
> then, but probably was.  No matter.  apt makes things easier compared to
> the apt-get/apt-cache/etc suite of commands.

As long as you bear in mind that apt's interface is a moveable feast.
For example, not many people recognised the behaviour of this little gem:

    # ls
    gem.deb
    # apt install gem.deb

which will find and install a package called gem2deb, not the file gem.deb.

David.

12