Virtual Box

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
29 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Virtual Box

Patrick Bartek-2
On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 15:12:18 -0500
David Wright <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon 05 Aug 2019 at 12:06:57 (-0700), Patrick Bartek wrote:
> > On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 11:50:07 -0400 Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:  
> > > On Mon, Aug 05, 2019 at 08:44:35AM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:  
> > > > On Mon, 5 Aug 2019 08:41:06 -0400 Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:  
> > > > > On Fri, Aug 02, 2019 at 02:42:36PM -0700, Patrick Bartek wrote:    
> > > > > > To help installing the .deb file, install gdebi-core (commandline
> > > > > > version) from Buster's repo.  It will take care of dependencies
> > > > > > which dpkg does not.      
> > > > >
> > > > > Or simply use "apt install ./whatever.deb".  Don't forget the leading
> > > > > "./" or "../" or "/" characters.  They tell apt that this is a filename
> > > > > instead of a package name.  Then, apt will resolve the dependencies.
> > > > >    
> > > >
> > > > That little feature is not mentioned in the man pages.  Never got
> > > > around to reading the full docs.  Have to try it next time.
> > > >
> > > > FWIW, I've been using gdebi-core since Wheezy when dpkg was the usual
> > > > way to install a local .deb file.  Liked its simplicity and just
> > > > continued with it with Stretch.    
> > >
> > > Yeah, that's fair.  I think the "apt install ./foo.deb" thing was added
> > > in stretch, so it's quite new.  
> >
> > Well, Stretch was my first exposure to apt.  I used Wheezy (and apt-get)
> > from RC3 or 4 (replacing Fedora 12) until long term support for it
> > ended in 2018, then moved to Stretch skipping Jessie entirely.
> >
> > I've read that apt released in 2014 or so.  Its man page in Stretch is
> > dated 2015.  So, it could have been available first in Jessie, but have
> > no idea if the local .deb install with dependency checking was included
> > then, but probably was.  No matter.  apt makes things easier compared to
> > the apt-get/apt-cache/etc suite of commands.  
>
> As long as you bear in mind that apt's interface is a moveable feast.
> For example, not many people recognised the behaviour of this little gem:
>
>     # ls
>     gem.deb
>     # apt install gem.deb
>
> which will find and install a package called gem2deb, not the file gem.deb.
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2018/08/msg01077.html

Most people never read the manual.  And so will be deservedly rewarded
. . . whether they like it or not.

B

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Virtual Box

Andrei POPESCU-2
In reply to this post by Patrick Bartek-2
On Lu, 05 aug 19, 12:06:57, Patrick Bartek wrote:
>
> I've read that apt released in 2014 or so.  Its man page in Stretch is
> dated 2015.  So, it could have been available first in Jessie, but have
> no idea if the local .deb install with dependency checking was included
> then, but probably was.  No matter.  apt makes things easier compared to
> the apt-get/apt-cache/etc suite of commands.

Before that one could do 'dpkg -i file.deb' and follow up with
'apt-get -f install'.

Kind regards,
Andrei
--
http://wiki.debian.org/FAQsFromDebianUser

signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Virtual Box

Keith Bainbridge-3
In reply to this post by Étienne Mollier
On 3/8/19 3:39 am, Etienne Mollier wrote:
> Since you are coming from the VirtualBox world, I would suggest
> to check out the package "virt-manager" which provides a GUI
> allowing to drive your KVM virtual machines.  You may find more
> details about this program on its homepage:
>
> https://virt-manager.org/


Thanks Etienne

I have looked at kvm/qmeu a few times but balked at the process. This
suggestion has made it viable.

Thank you.

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: Virtual Box

Keith Bainbridge-3
In reply to this post by Nate Bargmann-4
On 3/8/19 9:10 pm, Nate Bargmann wrote:

> * On 2019 03 Aug 02:25 -0500, Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Nate Bargmann <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> On 2019 02 Aug 12:11 -0500, Peter Hillier-Brook wrote:
>>
>>>> Given that VBox is no longer in the Buster repositories I tried to
>>>> install the Stretch .deb package from the VBox web site. dpkg failed
>>>> because of dependency problems, including libvpx4 that is not in the
>>>> Buster repositories.
>>>>
>>>> Anyone have any thoughts?
>>
>>> I grabbed the .debs from the Sid repository and manually installed
>>> them.  I've not gotten around to setting up pinning to track them
>>> automatically.
>>
>> This will work for now, because Buster and Sid are still quite similar
>> but as soon as Sid diverges farther from Buster, this will fail or
>> worse, pull many dependencies from Sid into you Buster installation.
>
> I understand that.  I hope that by that time I'll be so bored with the
> stability of Buster that it will be time to move up to Bullseye while it
> is still Testing.
>
> - Nate
>



I found a simple guide at


https://www.linuxbabe.com/debian/install-latest-virtualbox-6-0-10-debian-10-buster


In summary:
Create new sources file:
sudo nano /etc/apt/sources.list.d/oracle-virtualbox.list

with this text:
deb https://download.virtualbox.org/virtualbox/debian buster contrib


Run this command to add key:
wget -q https://www.virtualbox.org/download/oracle_vbox_2016.asc -O- |
sudo apt-key add -


apt(-get) update
and install
apt(-get) install virtualbox-6.0

This installed Version 6.0.10 r132072 (Qt5.9.5)



--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

The Wanderer
In reply to this post by Keith Bainbridge-3
On 2019-08-06 at 02:18, Keith Bainbridge wrote:

> On 3/8/19 3:39 am, Etienne Mollier wrote:
>
>> Since you are coming from the VirtualBox world, I would suggest to
>> check out the package "virt-manager" which provides a GUI allowing
>> to drive your KVM virtual machines.  You may find more details
>> about this program on its homepage:
>>
>> https://virt-manager.org/
>
>
> Thanks Etienne
>
> I have looked at kvm/qmeu a few times but balked at the process. This
>  suggestion has made it viable.
>
> Thank you.
I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".

As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I refuse
to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't install
policykit-1, which means that I can't install libvirt-daemon-system,
which means libvirtd doesn't get run automatically.

I tried starting it by hand, as root, but it exits immediately because
the user 'libvirt-qemu' does not exist; that's apparently expected
behavior, and that user is supposed to be created and set up
appropriately by libvirt-daemon-system; see bug #768000.

The documentation seems to indicate that it's supposed to be possible to
run the daemon as non-root, and indeed I've been able to start it that
way; however, virt-manager doesn't seem to see the daemon when it's run
that way. (I don't remember how, but I tracked down something which
seems to indicate that it's checking explicitly for the existence of the
PID file under /run or /var/run, and of course when running as an
ordinary user the PID file gets created under $XDG_RUNTIME_DIR instead
because non-root can't write to /run/.)


I tried specifying explicit connection URLs via File -> Add Connection,
as suggested in the error message (presumably for cases where the daemon
to connect to is running on a different computer), but all I managed to
get was errors indicating that it hadn't found anything to connect to.


Has anyone managed to get virt-manager working on Debian without the
libvirt-daemon-system package installed?

(I suspect that trying to report the failure to work without
libpam-systemd present as a bug would be dismissed on the grounds that
trefusing to have that installed is an excessively idiosyncratic
configuration which it's not reasonable to expect the maintainers to
have to support.)

--
   The Wanderer

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all
progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

Curt
On 2019-08-06, The Wanderer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
> reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".
>
> As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I refuse
> to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't install
> policykit-1, which means that I can't install libvirt-daemon-system,
> which means libvirtd doesn't get run automatically.
>

There's actually a bug report concerning this:

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765448

Paul Floyd at the bottom hacked his way to a crude (well) solution by
modifying the dependency in /var/lib/dpkg/status on "policykit-1" to
"policykit-1 | sysvinit-core," which allowed him to install
libvirt-daemon-system.


--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

The Wanderer
On 2019-08-06 at 11:29, Curt wrote:

> On 2019-08-06, The Wanderer <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> I tried this out myself recently, but couldn't get it to work; it
>> reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".
>>
>> As far as I can tell, the problem boils down to the fact that I
>> refuse to have libpam-systemd installed, which means that I can't
>> install policykit-1, which means that I can't install
>> libvirt-daemon-system, which means libvirtd doesn't get run
>> automatically.
>
> There's actually a bug report concerning this:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=765448
Interesting. How'd you find that? It didn't crop up in my searches based
on the error messages I was seeing.

The parts of the discussion in that bug report which took place this
year led me to

https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=897936

which was filed by Ian Jackson, and seems - in its way - even more on
point.

> Paul Floyd at the bottom hacked his way to a crude (well) solution
> by modifying the dependency in /var/lib/dpkg/status on "policykit-1"
> to "policykit-1 | sysvinit-core," which allowed him to install
> libvirt-daemon-system.

Which seems to bear out Ian's allegation, in #897936, that "It works
just fine without policykit-1.".

It's not a sustainable or really appropriate solution, given that it
will break and have to be re-done (either by way of some complicated
dance of installing and removing packages, or by manual local package
build) every time a new package version gets released, but it would at
least bypass the issue.

--
   The Wanderer

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one
persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all
progress depends on the unreasonable man.         -- George Bernard Shaw


signature.asc (849 bytes) Download Attachment
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

Curt
On 2019-08-06, The Wanderer <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=3D765448
>
> Interesting. How'd you find that? It didn't crop up in my searches based
> on the error messages I was seeing.
>

I looked for "debian virt-manager without systemd" using the G search
engine, and the bug was behind curtain number 3.

--
“We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.”
― Oscar Wilde, Lady Windermere's Fan

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: virt-manager (was Re: Virtual Box)

Keith Bainbridge-3
In reply to this post by The Wanderer
On 7/8/19 12:44 am, The Wanderer wrote:
>   it
> reports that "libvirtd is installed but not running".


running
sudo libvirtd

got me past that problem

--
Keith Bainbridge

[hidden email]
+61 (0)447 667 468

12