Weblate ja status and some suggestions/questions

Weblate ja status and some suggestions/questions

hoxp18
To: Debian Edu team
CC: Debian.or.jp doc team

Greeting,

I think I have done almost ja debian-edu-buster doc translation.
Next week's rendering be 99% ja, I guess.

During that self-review, some questions occurred to me.

Deep sub-section titles are too small
======================================

e.g.) 6.3.2.1. foobar

These 4 depth titles are rendered smaller than main paragraph fonts.
I think it better to increase those rendering sizes.
(at least in HTML)

Sub units
==========

Especially in Hardware requirement section,
there are mixed usage of MiB/MB and GiB/GB.

I think those do not have to be so precise; GB and MB seems fine.

Talking about storage and CPU freq/DRAM amount,
I agree we should use each sub units to make those expressions correct.

Are there so old working Debian Edu systems and tight expression needs?
I'm simply curious about it, since I do not know the actual working system.

GOsa2 section ja translation
=============================

As I said once, GOsa2 Web UI itself has no ja translation,
and I think it's rather fine. At least I have no capability to
translate GOsa2 and related LDAP po files properly.

Now I'm considering GOsa2 section's entry names be back to en,
to avoid confusion; eg. "Base", "newstudent", etc.
(to make them matched with the screenshots and actual UI)

If you have any idea and/or usage-facts, please tell me.

Thank you for your reading. Have a nice day!

Regards.

Re: Weblate ja status and some suggestions/questions

Holger Levsen-2
On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 02:13:01AM +0900, [hidden email] wrote:
> I think I have done almost ja debian-edu-buster doc translation.
> Next week's rendering be 99% ja, I guess.

yay, impressive progress! kudos!

> During that self-review, some questions occurred to me.

thanks for sharing those.

> Deep sub-section titles are too small
> ======================================
>
> e.g.) 6.3.2.1. foobar
>
> These 4 depth titles are rendered smaller than main paragraph fonts.
> I think it better to increase those rendering sizes.
> (at least in HTML)

I've seen you commited this change to git (fine), I'd just like Wolfgang
to review the results and decide whether to keep this or adjust further.

if we keep 61a709d1efee41c9e96024277e8a141b79c69a46 in d-e-doc.git this
change also needs to be documented in d/changelog.

> Sub units
> ==========
>
> Especially in Hardware requirement section,
> there are mixed usage of MiB/MB and GiB/GB.
>
> I think those do not have to be so precise; GB and MB seems fine.

I actually would prefer to always use KiB, MiB and GiB consistently.

or, use KB, MB and GB consistently. just mixing them is definitly
wrong/sub-optimal.

> GOsa2 section ja translation
> =============================
>
> As I said once, GOsa2 Web UI itself has no ja translation,
> and I think it's rather fine. At least I have no capability to
> translate GOsa2 and related LDAP po files properly.

I do think its a bug to tackle in the long run, but not now.

> Now I'm considering GOsa2 section's entry names be back to en,
> to avoid confusion; eg. "Base", "newstudent", etc.
> (to make them matched with the screenshots and actual UI)

I think this makes perfect sense (for now).

> Thank you for your reading. Have a nice day!

thanks for your feedback and have a nice day too!

--
tschau,
        Holger

In Europe there are people prosecuted by courts because they saved other people
from drowning in the  Mediterranean Sea.  That is almost as absurd  as if there
were people being prosecuted because they save humans from drowning in the sea.

Re: Weblate ja status and some suggestions/questions

Wolfgang Schweer-3
On Thu, Jun 06, 2019 at 11:32:39AM +0000, Holger Levsen wrote:

> > Deep sub-section titles are too small
> > ======================================
> >
> > e.g.) 6.3.2.1. foobar
> >
> > These 4 depth titles are rendered smaller than main paragraph fonts.
> > I think it better to increase those rendering sizes.
> > (at least in HTML)
>
> I've seen you commited this change to git (fine), I'd just like Wolfgang
> to review the results and decide whether to keep this or adjust further.
It's a very good improvement.

Wolfgang

Re: Re: Weblate ja status and some suggestions/questions

hoxp18
Dear Holger Levsen and Wolfgang Schweer,
CC: Debian Edu team

> On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 02:13:01AM +0900, [hidden email] wrote:
> > Deep sub-section titles are too small
> > ======================================
> >
> > e.g.) 6.3.2.1. foobar
> >
> > These 4 depth titles are rendered smaller than main paragraph fonts.
> > I think it better to increase those rendering sizes.
> > (at least in HTML)
>
> I've seen you commited this change to git (fine), I'd just like Wolfgang
> to review the results and decide whether to keep this or adjust further.
>
> if we keep 61a709d1efee41c9e96024277e8a141b79c69a46 in d-e-doc.git this
> change also needs to be documented in d/changelog.

Sorry about the important changelog, and thank you for reviewing and adding.

> > Sub units
> > ==========
> >
> > Especially in Hardware requirement section,
> > there are mixed usage of MiB/MB and GiB/GB.
> >
> > I think those do not have to be so precise; GB and MB seems fine.
>
> I actually would prefer to always use KiB, MiB and GiB consistently.
>
> or, use KB, MB and GB consistently. just mixing them is definitly
> wrong/sub-optimal.

I agree.

As you pointed,
I think there would be at lease three options.

1. Separate those use.
* Ki/Mi/Gi: for general IT related sub units.
* k/M/G: for storage device amount (and CPU freq?).

It is because storage amounts are written in KB/MB/GB traditionally,
causing 1,000 and 1,024 sub unit mixing problems, as you know.

The problem is CPU freqs; I'm not sure those are 1,000 radix or 1,024 radix.
(It seems 1,000...?)

2. Make it simple (SI subunit, 1,000 radix only)
* k/M/G: for all.

This would be nice, considering it is Debian "Edu" doc,
the world of general science, SI unit, 1,000 radix world.

3. Make it simple (1,024 subunit only)
* Ki/Mi/Gi: for all.

This would be preferable since it is about IT tech doc.

In short, I'm confused. Perhaps #3 is easy and nice.

> > GOsa2 section ja translation
> > =============================
> >
> > As I said once, GOsa2 Web UI itself has no ja translation,
> > and I think it's rather fine. At least I have no capability to
> > translate GOsa2 and related LDAP po files properly.
>
> I do think its a bug to tackle in the long run, but not now.

Absolutely; and I need time for this obviously.

> > Now I'm considering GOsa2 section's entry names be back to en,
> > to avoid confusion; eg. "Base", "newstudent", etc.
> > (to make them matched with the screenshots and actual UI)
>
> I think this makes perfect sense (for now).

Thank you for your comment.

Since I made my hardware (storage) replacements,
I'll check clean-install "main server" again in the near future,
and then make those entry names be back in English (for the time being).

Regards.

Re: Re: (Weblate ja status and) some suggestions/questions

Frans Spiesschaert
Hi,

[hidden email] schreef op vr 07-06-2019 om 22:55 [+0900]:

> Dear Holger Levsen and Wolfgang Schweer,
> CC: Debian Edu team
>
> > On Wed, Jun 05, 2019 at 02:13:01AM +0900, [hidden email] wrote:
> > >

> > > Sub units
> > > ==========
> > >
> > > Especially in Hardware requirement section,
> > > there are mixed usage of MiB/MB and GiB/GB.
> > >
> > > I think those do not have to be so precise; GB and MB seems fine.
> >
> > I actually would prefer to always use KiB, MiB and GiB
> > consistently.
> >
> > or, use KB, MB and GB consistently. just mixing them is definitly
> > wrong/sub-optimal.
>
> I agree.
>

> 3. Make it simple (1,024 subunit only)
> * Ki/Mi/Gi: for all.
>
> This would be preferable since it is about IT tech doc.
>
> In short, I'm confused. Perhaps #3 is easy and nice.

Switching over (in the long run) to KiB, MiB and GiB would be,
as to my opinion, the best choice, since it is the technically
right one.

--
Kind regards,
Frans Spiesschaert

Re: Re: Re: (Weblate ja status and) some suggestions/questions

hoxp18
Dear Frans Spiesschaert,

> [hidden email] schreef op vr 07-06-2019 om 22:55 [+0900]:

> Switching over (in the long run) to KiB, MiB and GiB would be,
> as to my opinion, the best choice, since it is the technically
> right one.

I reviewed English expressions and noticed that
there were my misunderstands about "mix" of KiB/MiB/GiB and KB/MB/GB.

Apologies.

BTW, It seems,

CPU freq : powers of 1,000, GHz, MHz.
DRAM     : powers of 1,024, KiB/MiB/GiB.
Storage  : two patterns

  1. Storage hardware capacities are powers of 1,000 (on their labels)
  2. Almost any others are powers of 1,024; partitions, LVM PE/VG/LV,
     free disk space, etc.

and Debian Edu doc does not talk about #1 case, I guess.

I fixed ja .po into powers of 1,024, KiB/MiB/GiB.

Thank you for your comment.

Regards.