Welcome team progress, local groups interest

Welcome team progress, local groups interest

Fabian Rodriguez
Hello,

I am at DebConf 17 in Montreal (my first DebConf), it has been a
fantastic week to meet many people I have interacted with online (or not).

My focus was on making the Welcome team progress and increase membership
(welcome ClaraTrT!). After attending several BoFs and talking to many of
you from differents places and backgrounds it appeared obvious there
needs to be close collaboration and feedback between Welcome team,
publicity, web and doc teams. I was lucky to be able to host a BoF and
those who attended made suggestions and comments on the mission and
objectives too.

As a result I joined the publicity team and will be contributing there
as time permits. Over the next few days I will be getting in touch with
all listed Local Groups on the wiki to let them know about this. It
seems the most productive way to increase the awareness of Debian
activity in this context (new users/contributors) is to sollicit the
Local Groups to contribute news items and to translate and use the
Welcome Team landing pages:

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome/Users

https://wiki.debian.org/Welcome/Contributors

For now this is on the wiki and I hope to learn more about the web team
to contribute this more formally there. It's also a bit chaotic but I
hope to apply all I learned and noted in the next few days. Anyone
interested should be able to catch up with us on IRC (#debian-welcome) -
or here, as appropriate.

Cheers,

- Fabian

--

Fabián Rodríguez
http://debian.magicfab.ca

Re: Welcome team progress, local groups interest

MENGUAL Jean-Philippe
Hi,

Very happy with knowing the group exists and will progress. Welcome to
you! Personally I am very intetested in these matters as I think free
software is so much technical-focus, and not user enough. The result is
that our ethical is not growing up. There are technical things to fix
sure, but especially a political message to promote and which is not
understandable enough today. I think social contract in Debian gives
means to promote free software as a universal way to do computer,
provided computer is accessible regardless physical disability; and to
reach everyone, computing needs to be supported by hyman sciences (so
any techno should be provided with, if needed, easy ways to be supported
by someone, physically or remotely.

Hence some questions:
1. Should not Welcope team have a mailing list? IRC is mainly used by
geeks today
2. Should not Debian have an official Facebook group, to reach another
kind of users?
Idem for other social networks.

Sincerely

--
Logo Hypra JEAN-PHILIPPE MENGUAL
DIRECTEUR TECHNIQUE ET QUALITÉ

On 2017-08-11 17:25, MENGUAL Jean-Philippe wrote:
> Hi,
> [...]
> Hence some questions:
> 1. Should not Welcope team have a mailing list? IRC is mainly used by
> geeks today

Maybe - I haven't felt it's indispensable so far and I prefer posting an
occasional progress report here and blend with other teams for now. I
don't know how others feel about this, it's a bit early to tell.

Having a mailing list also adds to the already high barrier that IRC is
for new users (and team members). I'd love to explore ways to ease
transition into new ways to reach wider audiences while including our
older ways.

> 2. Should not Debian have an official Facebook group, to reach another
> kind of users? Idem for other social networks.

There is a Debian Facebook group with ~300K followers/likes, and a
Twitter account too. If you're interested you will certainly find them.
Their content is shared from current posts in Micronews as I understand
it, mostly automatically.

There was mention of that during the Publicity BoF. Although I agree we
can't ignore such channels, our efforts are best used in improving
current resources and content - for example having regular Debian
Project news which we worked on yesterday. I am only interested in
relaying content there, but not in making such social media primary
channels (specially not "official").

One idea I presented consisted of regularly indicating on such channels
were the source information comes from and why it's not a primary
channel, here is an example:
https://framasphere.org/posts/3672202

If you have ideas on how to improve this while not encouraging the use
of non-free software (which all such social media includes as
javascript, for example) and restricted / censored content, it would be
appreciated in the publicity team I am sure. Thanks for the reminder
that it remains an issue to be addressed.

F.

--
Fabián Rodríguez
http://magicfab.ca/fsf