What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

Louis-Philippe Véronneau-3
Hi!

What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies? I feel the
DPMT policy is pretty good and I feel the PAPT policy could copy a bunch
of stuff from there.

For example, the PAPT policy doesn't include a "Git Procedures" section.

I'm guessing the way to go is to clearly propose a draft modification on
the mailing list and see if it reaches consensus. Would that be acceptable?

Cheers!

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau

Re: What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

Scott Kitterman-5

On September 15, 2019 11:59:08 PM UTC, "Louis-Philippe Véronneau" <[hidden email]> wrote:

>Hi!
>
>What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies? I feel the
>DPMT policy is pretty good and I feel the PAPT policy could copy a
>bunch
>of stuff from there.
>
>For example, the PAPT policy doesn't include a "Git Procedures"
>section.
>
>I'm guessing the way to go is to clearly propose a draft modification
>on
>the mailing list and see if it reaches consensus. Would that be
>acceptable?

My recollection is that is what we've done in the past.

Scott K

Re: What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

Mattia Rizzolo-5

On Mon, 16 Sep 2019, 1:59 am Louis-Philippe Véronneau, <[hidden email]> wrote:
What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies? I feel the
DPMT policy is pretty good and I feel the PAPT policy could copy a bunch
of stuff from there.

I wonder, I think the historical reasons for papt and dpmt to be separated don't quite stand anymore.  Perhaps the only difference left is the actual technical difference between an application and a module as described in the python policy (rather in the team one).

Could this be a good moment to make the two policies totally converge, and actually merge them into a single "python team policy"?

Perhaps in a near-ish future the two "sub-"teams could even be merged?

Re: What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

Ondrej Novy-2

po 16. 9. 2019 v 1:59 odesílatel Louis-Philippe Véronneau <[hidden email]> napsal:
What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

we don't have process/policy to update policy.

So I will propose one and let's add this process to policy itself:
  • anyone can submit merge request
  • with MR created, send email to ML
  • give seven? days grace period to discuss proposal
  • to accept MR we needed at least one? ack from DPMT admins
Comments? :)

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

po 16. 9. 2019 v 9:55 odesílatel Mattia Rizzolo <[hidden email]> napsal:
I wonder, I think the historical reasons for papt and dpmt to be separated don't quite stand anymore.  Perhaps the only difference left is the actual technical difference between an application and a module as described in the python policy (rather in the team one).

I don't know historical reason but I agree we could/should merge DPMT and PAPT policies together.

--
Best regards
 Ondřej Nový

On 19-09-16 08 h 00, Ondrej Novy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> po 16. 9. 2019 v 9:55 odesílatel Mattia Rizzolo <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
>> I wonder, I think the historical reasons for papt and dpmt to be separated
>> don't quite stand anymore.  Perhaps the only difference left is the actual
>> technical difference between an application and a module as described in
>> the python policy (rather in the team one).
>>

> I don't know historical reason but I agree we could/should merge DPMT and
> PAPT policies together.
Yes! I too agree this would make a lot of sense.

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau

Merging the PAPT and the DPMT

Louis-Philippe Véronneau-3
On 19-09-16 08 h 00, Ondrej Novy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> po 16. 9. 2019 v 9:55 odesílatel Mattia Rizzolo <[hidden email]> napsal:
>
>> I wonder, I think the historical reasons for papt and dpmt to be separated
>> don't quite stand anymore.  Perhaps the only difference left is the actual
>> technical difference between an application and a module as described in
>> the python policy (rather in the team one).
>>

> I don't know historical reason but I agree we could/should merge DPMT and
> PAPT policies together.

For those interested in having a look at it, I created a MR on Salsa [1]
to try to merge the two policies into one.

[1]
https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/10

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau

Re: What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?

Louis-Philippe Véronneau-3
On 19-09-16 08 h 00, Ondrej Novy wrote:

> Hi,
>
> po 16. 9. 2019 v 1:59 odesílatel Louis-Philippe Véronneau <[hidden email]>
> napsal:
>
>> What is the process to update the DPMT and PAPT policies?
>

> we don't have process/policy to update policy.
>
> So I will propose one and let's add this process to policy itself:
>
>    - anyone can submit merge request
>    - with MR created, send email to ML
>    - give seven? days grace period to discuss proposal
>    - to accept MR we needed at least one? ack from DPMT admins
>
> Comments? :)

This made a lot of sense to me, so I made an MR to implement this:

https://salsa.debian.org/python-team/tools/python-modules/merge_requests/11

--
  ⢀⣴⠾⠻⢶⣦⠀
  ⣾⠁⢠⠒⠀⣿⡁  Louis-Philippe Véronneau