What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Mario Castelán Castro-3
Hello.

I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a
sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained
software that doesn't do this.

Thanks in advance.

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Gary Dale
On 09/10/15 05:08 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as
> a sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found
> unmaintained software that doesn't do this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Any desktop organizer can do that. I use KDE so Kontact is my tool of
choice. Just set it to remind you of scheduled activities. If you need
to do something every day, set it to repeat daily.

You can also set a cron job to e-mail reminders to you if you need them
while away from your computer but receive e-mail on a smartphone.

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Lisi Reisz
On Friday 09 October 2015 22:08:31 Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a
> sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained
> software that doesn't do this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

I use the Trinity version of KOrganizer.  It is maintained and reminds me
well.  In fact, it nags me until I dismiss it.

Lisi

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Francesco Ariis
On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 04:08:31PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of daily
> tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be shown daily at
> a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a sound. I have
> searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained software that
> doesn't do this.

Hello Mario,
    there are a number of them in Debian: kalarm, tkremind,
email-reminder to name a few. They are all slightly different
so play around with them and let us know if they work for your
tasks

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Renaud (Ron) OLGIATI
On Fri, 09 Oct 2015 16:08:31 -0500
Mario Castelán Castro <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a
> sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained
> software that doesn't do this.

You can use cron to launch scripts like the following:

#!/bin/bash
export DISPLAY=:0.0
gxmessage -borderless -buttons "Close:0" -center -borderless -font "sans bold 24" "   Warning: Time to go to bed   "

Cheers,

Ron.
--
                   Dieu n'est pas pour les gros batalions,
                     mais pour ceux qui tirent le mieux.

                   -- http://www.olgiati-in-paraguay.org --

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Liam O'Toole
On 2015-10-09, Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 04:08:31PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of daily
>> tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be shown daily at
>> a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a sound. I have
>> searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained software that
>> doesn't do this.
>
> Hello Mario,
>     there are a number of them in Debian: kalarm, tkremind,
> email-reminder to name a few. They are all slightly different
> so play around with them and let us know if they work for your
> tasks

Hi,

If you're a GNOME 3 user, gnome-clocks is a handy addition to that list.
It's likely that evolution offers similar functionality, but I don't use
it and so I can't cofirm that.

--

Liam

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

cbannister
On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 04:08:31PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of daily
> tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be shown daily at
> a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a sound. I have
> searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained software that
> doesn't do this.

apt-cache show remind

oppressing." --- Malcolm X

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Mario Castelán Castro-3
Thanks to everybody who replied. I will be trying those solutions.

> If you're a GNOME 3 user, gnome-clocks is a handy addition to that list.
> It's likely that evolution offers similar functionality, but I don't use
> it and so I can't cofirm that.

No, I use LXDE. GNOME makes me sick, but thanks for the suggestion. :)

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

André N B
On Sat, Oct 10, 2015 at 10:33:33AM +0000, Liam O'Toole wrote:

> On 2015-10-09, Francesco Ariis <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Fri, Oct 09, 2015 at 04:08:31PM -0500, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> >> Hello.
> >>
> >> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of daily
> >> tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be shown daily at
> >> a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a sound. I have
> >> searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained software that
> >> doesn't do this.
> >
> > Hello Mario,
> >     there are a number of them in Debian: kalarm, tkremind,
> > email-reminder to name a few. They are all slightly different
> > so play around with them and let us know if they work for your
> > tasks
>
> Hi,
>
> If you're a GNOME 3 user, gnome-clocks is a handy addition to that list.
> It's likely that evolution offers similar functionality, but I don't use
> it and so I can't cofirm that.

1 1/2 oz of cron jobs Shake with unbroken shell
1 /dev/tty and pour unrestrained
10 oz of echo into FUCKUP.
1 text editor of choice
007 ASCII
proper sleep

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Mart van de Wege
Mario Castelán Castro  <[hidden email]> writes:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as
> a sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found
> unmaintained software that doesn't do this.

Emacs Org-mode will work, if you install the org-alert package from elpa.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Mario Castelán Castro-3
Thanks too. I use Emacs, but I don't have it always open because I only
use it for editing notes and software. A stand-alone program is
therefore more suitable for me. I have tried KAlarm and it seems to do
the job fine.

El 11/10/15 a las 14:52, Mart van de Wege escribió:

> Mario Castelán Castro  <[hidden email]> writes:
>
>> Hello.
>>
>> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
>> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
>> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as
>> a sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found
>> unmaintained software that doesn't do this.
>>
> Emacs Org-mode will work, if you install the org-alert package from elpa.
>
> Mart

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Mart van de Wege
Mario Castelán Castro  <[hidden email]> writes:

> Thanks too. I use Emacs, but I don't have it always open because I
> only use it for editing notes and software. A stand-alone program is
> therefore more suitable for me. I have tried KAlarm and it seems to do
> the job fine.

You can run emacs in server-mode of course. If you drop a service unit
in .config/systemd/user you can start it at login.

Mart

    --- AJS, quoting an uncertain source.

Re: What software can I use to remind me of daily tasks?

Ralph Katz
On 10/09/2015 05:08 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:

> Hello.
>
> I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a
> sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained
> software that doesn't do this.
>
> Thanks in advance.

Adding to the good suggestions already posted,
1) I use gkrellm-reminder which provides a nice gui to set the time and
commands or sounds you require.  Also the clock in gkrellm itself can
set an alarm or sound.

2) ~$ man calendar
    to check out capabilities you already have installed.
3) ~$ apt-cache search remind
    for more packages to review.

Have fun!
Ralph

On Mon, Oct 12, 2015 at 12:12:11PM -0400, Ralph Katz wrote:

> On 10/09/2015 05:08 PM, Mario Castelán Castro wrote:
> > Hello.
> >
> > I'm looking for a free (as in freedom) software that will remind me of
> > daily tasks. That is it: one in which I can program reminders to be
> > shown daily at a certain hour as a window to catch my attention or as a
> > sound. I have searched in the web, but I have only found unmaintained
> > software that doesn't do this.
> >
> > Thanks in advance.
> >

> Adding to the good suggestions already posted,
> 1) I use gkrellm-reminder which provides a nice gui to set the time and
> commands or sounds you require.  Also the clock in gkrellm itself can
> set an alarm or sound.
>
> 2) ~$ man calendar
>     to check out capabilities you already have installed.
> 3) ~$ apt-cache search remind
>     for more packages to review.

I found a link to an article on remind

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529