Wheezy upgrade and Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Centrino)

Wheezy upgrade and Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Centrino)

Lisi Reisz
Tomorrow I am going to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 9300, with an Intel Centrino,
from Wheezy to Jessie.  Hopefully it will go without a hitch.  I upgraded my
own desktop from Wheezy to Jessie last weekend and it was so trouble-free I
was pinching myself.

Is there likely to be a problem with Jessie on an old computer, either
upgrading or installing?

If there is a problem upgrading, I shall reinstall using a Jessie netinstall
CD.  Is there likely to be a problem because the network card is too old??

I was also going to take with me (the computer is 10 miles away) a wheezy
install CD of some kind just in case.  What I have available is the
firmware-7.8.0-amd64-i386-multiarch-netinst.iso
Is this still usable?  I see no reason why it wouldn't be, but....

Thanks,
Lisi

Re: Wheezy upgrade and Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Centrino)

deloptes-2
Lisi Reisz wrote:

> I was also going to take with me (the computer is 10 miles away) a wheezy
> install CD of some kind just in case.  What I have available is the
> firmware-7.8.0-amd64-i386-multiarch-netinst.iso
> Is this still usable?  I see no reason why it wouldn't be, but....

I would rather pick up ubuntu CD or usb stick. You can easily chroot from
there and repair faster if necessary.

I don't see why everybody is so hot for reinstalling.

just my 5cent

regards

Re: Wheezy upgrade and Dell Inspiron 9300 (Intel Centrino)

Ralph Katz
On 06/29/2016 05:18 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Tomorrow I am going to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 9300, with an Intel Centrino,
> from Wheezy to Jessie.  Hopefully it will go without a hitch.  I upgraded my
> own desktop from Wheezy to Jessie last weekend and it was so trouble-free I
> was pinching myself.
>
> Is there likely to be a problem with Jessie on an old computer, either
> upgrading or installing?
>
> If there is a problem upgrading, I shall reinstall using a Jessie netinstall
> CD.  Is there likely to be a problem because the network card is too old??
>
> I was also going to take with me (the computer is 10 miles away) a wheezy
> install CD of some kind just in case.  What I have available is the
> firmware-7.8.0-amd64-i386-multiarch-netinst.iso
> Is this still usable?  I see no reason why it wouldn't be, but....
>
> Thanks,
> Lisi

Lisi, I upgraded a Dell Inspiron 9100 from Wheezy to Jessie last year
without any problem.  As I recall, the only issue was powering down;
sudo halt did not kill the power.  sudo poweroff did.

Good luck.

Regards,
Ralph

On Wednesday 29 June 2016 16:25:16 Ralph Katz wrote:
> On 06/29/2016 05:18 AM, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > Tomorrow I am going to upgrade a Dell Inspiron 9300, with an Intel
> > Centrino, from Wheezy to Jessie.  Hopefully it will go without a hitch.
[snip]

> > Is there likely to be a problem with Jessie on an old computer, either
> > upgrading or installing?
[snip]

> > Thanks,
> > Lisi
>
> Lisi, I upgraded a Dell Inspiron 9100 from Wheezy to Jessie last year
> without any problem.  As I recall, the only issue was powering down;
> sudo halt did not kill the power.  sudo poweroff did.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Regards,
> Ralph

Thank you, Ralph!  That is great news and very reassuring!

Lisi