Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Pablo Mestre
Hi

I recently started as a maintainer of a package for Debian which is
currently awaiting approval to be reintroduced into the repositories. [1]

With the desire to continue contributing I would like to know where I
can find other packages that need a maintainer.

regards
Pablo

[1] https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/colortest-python

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Sandro Tosi-6
> I recently started as a maintainer of a package for Debian which is
> currently awaiting approval to be reintroduced into the repositories. [1]
>
> With the desire to continue contributing I would like to know where I
> can find other packages that need a maintainer.

you can start from here: https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

there are some python packages there (i imagine you want to focus on
those given you write to d-python@ )

General rule of thumb is: dont maintain packages just because of it,
maintain something you use and find useful; you'll be able to do a
better job, benefit from your maintenance work and provide a better
package to Debian's user

Sandro "morph" Tosi
My website: http://sandrotosi.me/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/sandrotosi

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Pablo Mestre
Awesome, thanks!

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Jeremy Stanley
There's also this wonderful utility:

    https://packages.debian.org/sid/how-can-i-help

You can use it to easily find packages installed on your system
which are orphaned or in other similar states of help wanted, which
at least helps focus your efforts on packages you're more likely
using and relying on, rather than wading through a large list of
packages which are mostly orphaned because nobody's using them
anyway.
--
Jeremy Stanley

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Otto Kekäläinen-4
Hello!

I mentored Pablo to get his first upload to Debian. Pablo is new to
Debian packaging but a good and persistent learner. I warmly recommend
working with him if you have some newcomer friendly tasks to suggest!

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Paul Wise via nm
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM Pablo Mestre wrote:

> I recently started as a maintainer of a package for Debian which is
> currently awaiting approval to be reintroduced into the repositories. [1]

In case you weren't aware, there are some extra steps when
reintroducing packages:

https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#reintroducing-pkgs

Principally this is about reopening bugs closed by the removal and
then triaging them and closing any fixed in the new version.

https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#closing

Last time I needed to do this, I ran this hacky shell one-liner:

bts $(for bug in $(curl
'https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=colortest-python'
| pandoc -f html -t plain --wrap none | grep -B1 -F +rm | grep -o
\#[0-9]\\+ | tr -d \#) ; do echo -n "unarchive $bug , reopen $bug , ";
done)

For your package it gives this command:

bts unarchive 753281 , reopen 753281 , unarchive 936320 , reopen
936320 , unarchive 782208 , reopen 782208 , unarchive 890074 , reopen
890074 ,

See-also this request for making it easier to do this:

https://bugs.debian.org/949125

--
bye,
pabs

https://wiki.debian.org/PaulWise

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Pablo Mestre
Thanks, i will take a look...

El 2/24/20 a las 4:24 AM, Paul Wise escribió:

> On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM Pablo Mestre wrote:
>
>> I recently started as a maintainer of a package for Debian which is
>> currently awaiting approval to be reintroduced into the repositories. [1]
> In case you weren't aware, there are some extra steps when
> reintroducing packages:
>
> https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/developers-reference/pkgs.html#reintroducing-pkgs
>
> Principally this is about reopening bugs closed by the removal and
> then triaging them and closing any fixed in the new version.
>
> https://www.debian.org/Bugs/Developer#closing
>
> Last time I needed to do this, I ran this hacky shell one-liner:
>
> bts $(for bug in $(curl
> 'https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/pkgreport.cgi?archive=both;src=colortest-python'
> | pandoc -f html -t plain --wrap none | grep -B1 -F +rm | grep -o
> \#[0-9]\\+ | tr -d \#) ; do echo -n "unarchive $bug , reopen $bug , ";
> done)
>
> For your package it gives this command:
>
> bts unarchive 753281 , reopen 753281 , unarchive 936320 , reopen
> 936320 , unarchive 782208 , reopen 782208 , unarchive 890074 , reopen
> 890074 ,
>
> See-also this request for making it easier to do this:
>
> https://bugs.debian.org/949125

Re: Where can I find packages that need a maintainer?

Paul Wise via nm
On Thu, Feb 13, 2020 at 1:25 AM Pablo Mestre wrote:

> With the desire to continue contributing I would like to know where I
> can find other packages that need a maintainer.

The WNPP data (specifically RFA, O bugs) list packages needing a new maintainer:

https://www.debian.org/devel/wnpp/

There are several options for querying this data:

Install and run the how-can-i-help package:

https://wiki.debian.org/how-can-i-help

Use the wnpp-check/wnpp-alert scripts:

https://manpages.debian.org/wnpp-check
https://manpages.debian.org/wnpp-alert

Use one of the websites that presents the WNPP data in different ways:

https://wnpp.debian.net/
https://wnpp-by-tags.debian.net/