Where's the documentation?

Nick Jacobs-3
Can someone point me to good, correct documentation on how to configure IPv6 in Debian stable and oldstable?

A lot of people seem to have problems configuring IPv6 of Debian, with the main symptom being that a program trying to use IPv6 times out and falls back to IPv4. Googling for solutions reveals a surprisingly large number of people who have basically given up and resorted to disabling IPv6 completely.

Looking in /etc/network, there is a file called "interfaces" which has at the top:

# This configuration file is auto-generated.# WARNING: Do not edit this file, otherwise your changes will be lost.
# Please edit template /etc/network/interfaces.template instead.

But there isn't any file /etc/network/interfaces.template !

I'm using oldstable ( Jessie, Debian 8.10).

Re: Where's the documentation?

Gerdriaan Mulder
Have a look at `man 5 interfaces`:

```
EXAMPLE
       The  following  example configures two network interfaces: eth0
is brought up at boot, and uses DHCP for IPv4 and SLAAC for IPv6,
whereas eth1 is brought up whenever the network hardware is detected,
       and is configured with static IPv4 and IPv6 addresses.
       auto eth0
       allow-hotplug eth1

       iface eth0 inet dhcp

       iface eth0 inet6 auto

       iface eth1 inet static
            address 192.168.1.2/24
            gateway 192.168.1.1

       iface eth1 inet6 static
            address fec0:0:0:1::2/64
            gateway fec0:0:0:1::1
```

Another possibility is to use `up ip -6 addr add fec0::3/64` and `up
ip -6 route add default fec0::1` in the stanza of `inet eth1 inet
static`.

Best,
Gerdriaan

On 13 May 2018 at 16:25, Gerdriaan Mulder <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Another possibility is to use `up ip -6 addr add fec0::3/64` and `up
> ip -6 route add default fec0::1` in the stanza of `inet eth1 inet
> static`.

That last bit should state "in the stanza of `iface eth1 inet
static`". I see I missed a mandatory argument to `ip` as well.

Like so:

```
inet eth1 iface static
    address 192.168.1.2/24
    gateway 192.168.1.1
    up ip -6 addr add fec0::3/64 dev eth1
    up ip -6 route add default via fec0::1
````

Re: Where's the documentation?

Michael Richardson-5
Nick Jacobs <[hidden email]> wrote:
    > Can someone point me to good, correct documentation on how to configure
    > IPv6 in Debian stable and oldstable?

Mostly, there is nothing to do.
Hosts auto-configure addresses and default routes.

    > A lot of people seem to have problems configuring IPv6 of Debian, with
    > the main symptom being that a program trying to use IPv6 times out and
    > falls back to IPv4. Googling for solutions reveals a surprisingly large
    > number of people who have basically given up and resorted to disabling
    > IPv6 completely.

Sounds like they have a problem with their router, rather than with their
host.  Their are getting RAs from a router, but are not really connected.

So, I'd be glad to help, but I don't think the problem is with Debian.

--
]               Never tell me the odds!                 | ipv6 mesh networks [
]   Michael Richardson, Sandelman Software Works        | network architect  [