Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Jérémy Lal-2
Hi,

libepoxy is needed by both KDE and GNOME packages.
What's the best team to maintain it ?

Regards,
Jérémy

(an interim maintainer of that package)

Re: Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Jeremy Bicha-5
On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Jérémy Lal <[hidden email]> wrote:
> libepoxy is needed by both KDE and GNOME packages.
> What's the best team to maintain it ?

I guess we've been using https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team for
cross-desktop stuff.

It might make sense to merge that team with
https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team even if much of the Utopia
stuff isn't actually hosted on freedesktop.org .

I only recently realized that the Utopia team's name derives from
Project Utopia, an initiative which hasn't been around for several
years.

Thanks,
Jeremy Bicha

Re: Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Michael Biebl-6
Am 16.10.18 um 21:53 schrieb Jeremy Bicha:

> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Jérémy Lal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> libepoxy is needed by both KDE and GNOME packages.
>> What's the best team to maintain it ?
>
> I guess we've been using https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team for
> cross-desktop stuff.
>
> It might make sense to merge that team with
> https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team even if much of the Utopia
> stuff isn't actually hosted on freedesktop.org .
>
> I only recently realized that the Utopia team's name derives from
> Project Utopia, an initiative which hasn't been around for several
> years.
This is correct. The utopia name mainly has nostalgic value (it was
relevant when hal still was a thing) but does not actually describe any
current efforts.
That said, it's also very unspecific, which makes it useful as an
umbrella if a thing is not strictly GNOME, fdo, ... specific.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Re: Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Michael Biebl-3
Am 16.10.18 um 22:01 schrieb Michael Biebl:

> Am 16.10.18 um 21:53 schrieb Jeremy Bicha:
>> On Tue, Oct 16, 2018 at 2:37 PM Jérémy Lal <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> libepoxy is needed by both KDE and GNOME packages.
>>> What's the best team to maintain it ?
>>
>> I guess we've been using https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team for
>> cross-desktop stuff.
>>
>> It might make sense to merge that team with
>> https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team even if much of the Utopia
>> stuff isn't actually hosted on freedesktop.org .
>>
>> I only recently realized that the Utopia team's name derives from
>> Project Utopia, an initiative which hasn't been around for several
>> years.
>
> This is correct. The utopia name mainly has nostalgic value (it was
> relevant when hal still was a thing) but does not actually describe any
> current efforts.
> That said, it's also very unspecific, which makes it useful as an
> umbrella if a thing is not strictly GNOME, fdo, ... specific.
Fwiw, I wouldn't mind if pkg-fdo and pkg-utopia would be merged (but I
don't have a good suggestion for a different name).
pkg-fdo afaics is pretty much dormant at this point, whereas pkg-utopia
is still actively used for stuff like dbus, network-manager, udisks,
upower, etc.

I've also CCed Simon, not sure if he read debian-gtk-gnome.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Re: Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Emilio Pozuelo Monfort-4
On 16/10/2018 22:05, Michael Biebl wrote:

> Am 16.10.18 um 22:01 schrieb Michael Biebl:
>>>
>>> I guess we've been using https://salsa.debian.org/utopia-team for
>>> cross-desktop stuff.
>>>
>>> It might make sense to merge that team with
>>> https://salsa.debian.org/freedesktop-team even if much of the Utopia
>>> stuff isn't actually hosted on freedesktop.org .
>>>
>>> I only recently realized that the Utopia team's name derives from
>>> Project Utopia, an initiative which hasn't been around for several
>>> years.
>>
>> This is correct. The utopia name mainly has nostalgic value (it was
>> relevant when hal still was a thing) but does not actually describe any
>> current efforts.
>> That said, it's also very unspecific, which makes it useful as an
>> umbrella if a thing is not strictly GNOME, fdo, ... specific.
>
> Fwiw, I wouldn't mind if pkg-fdo and pkg-utopia would be merged (but I
> don't have a good suggestion for a different name).
> pkg-fdo afaics is pretty much dormant at this point, whereas pkg-utopia
> is still actively used for stuff like dbus, network-manager, udisks,
> upower, etc.

There are a few things actively maintained in freedesktop-team, e.g. poppler,
fontconfig, geoclue, desktop-file-utils... (FSVO active, given some of these
only receive seldom updates upstream).

But I would be happy if these two were merged.

As for libepoxy, it could go in utopia-team, or even in xorg-team.

Cheers,
Emilio

Re: Which team is best for team-maintaining libepoxy package ?

Simon McVittie-7
On Tue, 16 Oct 2018 at 22:05:23 +0200, Michael Biebl wrote:
> Fwiw, I wouldn't mind if pkg-fdo and pkg-utopia would be merged (but I
> don't have a good suggestion for a different name).

I'm happy for dbus and related packages to be "owned" by any (or no) team,
as long as uploaders are careful and conservative about dbus changes.
pkg-freedesktop seems as good a name as any.

    smcv