Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
Hello,
I was surprised recently to find Gedit depending on Python (and the
related) and wondered why?

Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Fang sun
Hi, Tshepang, there is a pythonconsole plugin, pyton binding and an
externalpanel plugin for gedit, which mainly depends on PyGTK.

On 10/2/06, Fang sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi, Tshepang, there is a pythonconsole plugin, pyton binding and an
> externalpanel plugin for gedit, which mainly depends on PyGTK.

I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?

Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Ondřej Surý-4
On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:05 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 10/2/06, Fang sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Hi, Tshepang, there is a pythonconsole plugin, pyton binding and an
> > externalpanel plugin for gedit, which mainly depends on PyGTK.
>
> I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?

No, gedit itself is ligthweight, that word doesn't talk about
dependencies, but about memory footprint and features, etc.  (Ie. it
doesn't include implementation of LISP, which every decent text editor
must have :-).

You are pulling whole GNOME just for Gedit anyway, and there are already
many other packages depending on gnome which are in base GNOME
installation (like alacarte menu editor which got promoted to be in
default GNOME).

If you really want dependency-lightweight editor you should try leafpad,
which uses just gtk2.0.

Ondrej.
--
Ondřej Surý <[hidden email]>

On 10/2/06, Ondřej Surý <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, 2006-10-02 at 13:05 +0200, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > On 10/2/06, Fang sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > > Hi, Tshepang, there is a pythonconsole plugin, pyton binding and an
> > > externalpanel plugin for gedit, which mainly depends on PyGTK.
> >
> > I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> > plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> > editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> > is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?
>
> No, gedit itself is ligthweight, that word doesn't talk about
> dependencies, but about memory footprint and features, etc.  (Ie. it
> doesn't include implementation of LISP, which every decent text editor
> must have :-).

I am having about 20KB of files open here and Gedit cunsumes 35MB
which includes 3MB of shared memory. It also takes noticeably-long to
start up, even on a P4 2.6 GHz. It also has a handful of features
which include those that Fang sun has mentioned above. I actually had
an idea that Gedit's 'light-weight' description is just a result of
history instead of the current situation.

> You are pulling whole GNOME just for Gedit anyway, and there are already
> many other packages depending on gnome which are in base GNOME
> installation (like alacarte menu editor which got promoted to be in
> default GNOME).
>
> If you really want dependency-lightweight editor you should try leafpad,
> which uses just gtk2.0.

I'll try that one...

Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Loïc Minier

On Mon, Oct 02, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> On 10/2/06, Fang sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?

 The gedit binary will depend on libpython if built with Python support,
 so I considered it was acceptable to ship the plugins in the same
 package, even if they add some deps as well (on the python modules they
 rely on).
   The alternative would be to build Gedit in various flavors, as is the
 case of vim (vim-full, vim-python, etc.).  This would require some
 work, perhaps moving away of CDBS, so I don't intend to do it myself (I
 do take clean patches though).

   Bye,
--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>

On 10/2/06, Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > On 10/2/06, Fang sun <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > I was not aware. I actually thought another package would provide the
> > plugins. Wouldn't that be a better idea than having a bloated text
> > editor which is still given the  description of being light-weight, or
> > is this in comparison with OpenOffice.org?
>
>  The gedit binary will depend on libpython if built with Python support,
>  so I considered it was acceptable to ship the plugins in the same
>  package, even if they add some deps as well (on the python modules they
>  rely on).
>    The alternative would be to build Gedit in various flavors, as is the
>  case of vim (vim-full, vim-python, etc.).  This would require some
>  work, perhaps moving away of CDBS, so I don't intend to do it myself (I
>  do take clean patches though).

Thanks for the info. I still have the problem with the 'light-weight'
description though, and please don't see this as a troll. Why not use
the home-page's desciption: "the official text editor of the GNOME
desktop environment", instead of having someone file an unnecessary
bug report?

thanks...

Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Loïc Minier
On Mon, Oct 02, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I still have the problem with the 'light-weight'
> description though, and please don't see this as a troll. Why not use
> the home-page's desciption: "the official text editor of the GNOME
> desktop environment".

 Sure, I've just committed that to our SVN and it will be part of the
 next upload; thanks.

>                       instead of having someone file an unnecessary
> bug report?

 Bug reports are not unnecessary, they are more like TODOs.

--
Loïc Minier <[hidden email]>

Re: Why Gedit's dependency on Python

Tshepang Lekhonkhobe
On 10/2/06, Loïc Minier <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 02, 2006, Tshepang Lekhonkhobe wrote:
> > Thanks for the info. I still have the problem with the 'light-weight'
> > description though, and please don't see this as a troll. Why not use
> > the home-page's desciption: "the official text editor of the GNOME
> > desktop environment".
>
>  Sure, I've just committed that to our SVN and it will be part of the
>  next upload; thanks.

I am honoured.