Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.

I would gladly comply .. but I have no idea what that "PGP passphrase"
is and how I can obtain it.

Someone just asked a question to the "community".. So, I try to help,
right? .. I try to give them some kind of answer, right? .. and now that
I have painstakingly put together something that may help them and I'm
about to post it.. 20 minutes of my time, could be .. and I try to
post..  Well guess what .. I'm bloody stuck .. because of course I have
no f***ing idea what their "PGP passphrase" is in the first place.

Say .. this guy just got hit by a bullet in the arm or something ..  and
I'm trying to help .. so he asks me .. man .. where's the closest
hospital.. so I says .. well you head south and make a right on the
turnpike and when you get to the second traffic light you  make a left
and it's right there on the right handside.. and then _he_ says ..
hmmm..  very interesting.. but ... what's the passphrase??

Folks, how can I identify _before_ I waste my time on a detailed reply
who the "PGP passphrase" people are and just ignore them?

Am I mistaken .. or are the "PGP passphrase" wise guys another ilk of
trolls & spammers that should right away be BANNED from this list and
every other list and restrained to "PGP passphrase land" for trying to
look "knowledgeable" and "important" and waste everybody's time in the
process .. or I am totally missing something and is there any good
reason they should have the right to demand that I provide a
"passphrase" in order to post to a list that as far as I understand is
open to the general public??

Could anyone explain why a subscriber to the list who as far as I know
has no higher privilege than myself should have the ability to ask me
for a "PGP passphrase" in the first place?

Does not make any sense to me.

Please advise.

Thanks,
CJ

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Thierry Chatelet
Le Friday 14 November 2008 04:17:24 Chris Jones, vous avez écrit :

> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
>
> I would gladly comply .. but I have no idea what that "PGP passphrase"
> is and how I can obtain it.
>
> Someone just asked a question to the "community".. So, I try to help,
> right? .. I try to give them some kind of answer, right? .. and now that
> I have painstakingly put together something that may help them and I'm
> about to post it.. 20 minutes of my time, could be .. and I try to
> post..  Well guess what .. I'm bloody stuck .. because of course I have
> no f***ing idea what their "PGP passphrase" is in the first place.
>
> Say .. this guy just got hit by a bullet in the arm or something ..  and
> I'm trying to help .. so he asks me .. man .. where's the closest
> hospital.. so I says .. well you head south and make a right on the
> turnpike and when you get to the second traffic light you  make a left
> and it's right there on the right handside.. and then _he_ says ..
> hmmm..  very interesting.. but ... what's the passphrase??
>
> Folks, how can I identify _before_ I waste my time on a detailed reply
> who the "PGP passphrase" people are and just ignore them?
>
> Am I mistaken .. or are the "PGP passphrase" wise guys another ilk of
> trolls & spammers that should right away be BANNED from this list and
> every other list and restrained to "PGP passphrase land" for trying to
> look "knowledgeable" and "important" and waste everybody's time in the
> process .. or I am totally missing something and is there any good
> reason they should have the right to demand that I provide a
> "passphrase" in order to post to a list that as far as I understand is
> open to the general public??
>
> Could anyone explain why a subscriber to the list who as far as I know
> has no higher privilege than myself should have the ability to ask me
> for a "PGP passphrase" in the first place?
>
> Does not make any sense to me.
>
> Please advise.
>
> Thanks,
> CJ

What, where, when?

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Douglas A. Tutty-2
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:17:24PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.

You should only be posting replies to the list address (e.g.
[hidden email]) and not a global reply to the posters.

Doug.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Kent West
Chris Jones wrote:
> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.

I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.

It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
"signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
the past.

If you have a PGP or GPG item in your email client's settings, that's
probably what's going on.

At least, that's the understanding, limited though it be, and maybe
wrong, that I have.

--
Kent West                           <")))><

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:28:03PM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:17:24PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
> > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> >

> You should only be posting replies to the list address (e.g.
> [hidden email]) and not a global reply to the posters.

Which is exactly what I was doing ..

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Ron Johnson
On 11/13/08 21:33, Chris Jones wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:28:03PM EST, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:
>> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:17:24PM -0500, Chris Jones wrote:
>>> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
>>> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
>>>
>> You should only be posting replies to the list address (e.g.
>> [hidden email]) and not a global reply to the posters.
>
> Which is exactly what I was doing ..

Mutt has Reply-To-List.  I think that "L" is the correct hotkey.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Daniel Burrows
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:29:06PM -0600, Kent West <[hidden email]> was heard to say:

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> >

> I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
> shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.
>
> It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
> and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
> an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
> "signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
> for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
> the past.

  If it's prompting him for a passphrase, it thinks he has a PGP key and
wants to sign his outgoing email with it.

  Daniel

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:29:06PM EST, Kent West wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
> > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> >

> I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
> shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.
>
> It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
> and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
> an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
> "signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
> for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
> the past.

Must be a default .. I never set a passphrase in my email client.

> If you have a PGP or GPG item in your email client's settings, that's
> probably what's going on.
>
> At least, that's the understanding, limited though it be, and maybe
> wrong, that I have.

Maybe I need to purge mutt on this system .. and re-apt-get it?

Guess I have to talk to the mutt people for guidance.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:37:52PM EST, Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 11/13/08 21:33, Chris Jones wrote:
> >>>
> >>You should only be posting replies to the list address (e.g.
> >>[hidden email]) and not a global reply to the posters.
> >
> >Which is exactly what I was doing ..
>
> Mutt has Reply-To-List.  I think that "L" is the correct hotkey.

You're correct .. and that's what I have been doing - and why I got so
frustrated in the first place.

I'll take a look at this again tomorrow .. I could swear that when you
get the "Enter PGP passphrase" message in mutt you had a keyboard action
to skip/cancel and were they able to post.

Since I have changed anything in my setup for decades .. I'm not sure
why I was unable to do this.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:42:45PM EST, Daniel Burrows wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:29:06PM -0600, Kent West <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
> > Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> > >

> > I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
> > shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.
> >
> > It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
> > and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
> > an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
> > "signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
> > for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
> > the past.
>
>   If it's prompting him for a passphrase, it thinks he has a PGP key and
> wants to sign his outgoing email with it.

By tomorrow I'll be sober and figure out what I'm doing wrong.

:-)

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Bob Cox-5
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 19:42:45 -0800, Daniel Burrows ([hidden email]) wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 09:29:06PM -0600, Kent West <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
> > Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> > >

> > I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
> > shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.
> >
> > It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
> > and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
> > an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
> > "signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
> > for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
> > the past.
>
>   If it's prompting him for a passphrase, it thinks he has a PGP key and
> wants to sign his outgoing email with it.

Indeed - and I expect there is a line:

  set pgp_replysign=yes

in the ~/.muttrc file.

--
Bob Cox.  Stoke Gifford, near Bristol, UK.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Nate Bargmann-4
* Chris Jones <[hidden email]> [2008 Nov 13 21:54 -0600]:

> Maybe I need to purge mutt on this system .. and re-apt-get it?

It's doubtful that will help unless you find all Mutt related RC files
in ~ and purge them as well.

> Guess I have to talk to the mutt people for guidance.

I've used Mutt for years and have not seen this issue arise.  The only
time I get prompted for a PGP passphrase is if the 'p' key is pressed
in the message send window.  And even then I get a menu first with
several PGP options.

I was going to sign this message for you to test on, but I get an error
that the key can't be found.  Ah well...

- Nate >>

possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true."

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Daniel Burrows
On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:53:36PM -0500, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> was heard to say:

> On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 10:29:06PM EST, Kent West wrote:
> > Chris Jones wrote:
> > > I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> > > list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
> > >

> > I'm sure someone more knowledgeable about PGP/GPG than am I will answer
> > shortly, but in the meanwhile, I'll take a shot.
> >
> > It sounds to me like you have PGP or GPG installed in your email client,
> > and it's configured to encrypt email when responding to emails that have
> > an indication of encryption capability on the other end (such as a
> > "signed" signature, etc), and your email client is then prompting you
> > for your PGP passphrase, which you don't recall setting at some time in
> > the past.
>
> Must be a default .. I never set a passphrase in my email client.

  I don't think it's a default, but if you have the line

     set crypt_replysign=yes

  in /etc/Muttrc, /etc/Muttrc.d/*, or ~/.muttrc, you'll see this
behavior.

  Daniel

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Andrei POPESCU-2
On Thu,13.Nov.08, 22:17:24, Chris Jones wrote:
> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
>
> I would gladly comply .. but I have no idea what that "PGP passphrase"
> is and how I can obtain it.

Please post the output of

grep crypt .muttrc

(or .mutt/* if you have split configuration).

Regards,
Andrei (not signing this time)
(Albert Einstein)

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 07:29:03AM EST, Nate Bargmann wrote:
> * Chris Jones <[hidden email]> [2008 Nov 13 21:54 -0600]:
>
> > Maybe I need to purge mutt on this system .. and re-apt-get it?
>
> It's doubtful that will help unless you find all Mutt related RC files
> in ~ and purge them as well.

.. well I wasn't really serious about this .. just very frustrated.

> > Guess I have to talk to the mutt people for guidance.
>
> I've used Mutt for years and have not seen this issue arise.  The only
> time I get prompted for a PGP passphrase is if the 'p' key is pressed
> in the message send window.  And even then I get a menu first with
> several PGP options.

Which is what I've been doing for years.. and last night I could not get
it to work!

> I was going to sign this message for you to test on, but I get an error
> that the key can't be found.  Ah well...

Well, that certainly was a kind thought .. and a smart idea. I'm not
sure what the issue was your end but I used this to test .. rather than
have to look around for a PGP signed message .. and I got mutt to
complain .. and hit 'p' and 'c' as in (c)lear from the PGP menu.

So I'm not sure what I was doing wrong last night .. or maybe the 'p'
key on this keyboard didn't work last night .. not sure why this
passphrase business got me mad all of a sudden..

:-)

Really appreciate your help .. and sorry about the noise.

CJ

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Chris Jones-44
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:07:22AM EST, Daniel Burrows wrote:

[..]

>   I don't think it's a default, but if you have the line
>
>      set crypt_replysign=yes
>
>   in /etc/Muttrc, /etc/Muttrc.d/*, or ~/.muttrc, you'll see this
> behavior.

Absolutely .. never removed it from the .muttrc I used as a template
some 4-5 years back .. hoping that one day I'd find the time to set it
up correctly .. play with it a bit .. and start understanding what it's
about.

I get your point .. I asked for this behavior .. so I shouldn't complain
about it.

CJ

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Daniel Burrows
On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 07:20:35PM -0500, Chris Jones <[hidden email]> was heard to say:
> I get your point .. I asked for this behavior .. so I shouldn't complain
> about it.

  That may or may not be true, but my point was that you could solve
your problem by removing that line. :-)

  Daniel

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Paul Johnson
Chris Jones wrote:
> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
>
> I would gladly comply .. but I have no idea what that "PGP passphrase"
> is and how I can obtain it.

You are running a mail client that has OpenPGP support.  You can find
out more about OpenPGP at Wikipedia.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP.  I strongly reccommend you
familiarize yourself with this technology as it is commonly used verify
that an email hasn't been tampered or modified in shipping, or to
provide end-to-end encryption.

To get started with GnuPG, the GNU OpenPGP implementation, check out
> Someone just asked a question to the "community".. So, I try to help,
> right? .. I try to give them some kind of answer, right? .. and now that
> I have painstakingly put together something that may help them and I'm
> about to post it.. 20 minutes of my time, could be .. and I try to
> post..  Well guess what .. I'm bloody stuck .. because of course I have
> no f***ing idea what their "PGP passphrase" is in the first place.

Nor are you supposed to.  The way OpenPGP works is if you're trying to
encrypt a message to someone else, it will ask you for the passphrase to
your private key, and it will attempt to encrypt the data to your
recipient's public key.  Make sure you're mailer isn't trying to encrypt
the message when you're intentionally trying to send a message to a
public list.  If you do, everybody will get a copy of the message, but
only the people for whom you encrypted it will be able to decrypt and
read the message.

> Am I mistaken .. or are the "PGP passphrase" wise guys another ilk of
> trolls & spammers that should right away be BANNED from this list and
> every other list and restrained to "PGP passphrase land" for trying to
> look "knowledgeable" and "important" and waste everybody's time in the
> process .. or I am totally missing something and is there any good
> reason they should have the right to demand that I provide a
> "passphrase" in order to post to a list that as far as I understand is
> open to the general public??
>
> Could anyone explain why a subscriber to the list who as far as I know
> has no higher privilege than myself should have the ability to ask me
> for a "PGP passphrase" in the first place?

It's unwise to make assumptions this grossly out of line with reality,
particularly if you haven't tried to look up the answer in Wikipedia or
Google yet.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Paul Johnson
Chris Jones wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 14, 2008 at 11:07:22AM EST, Daniel Burrows wrote:
>
> [..]
>

>>   I don't think it's a default, but if you have the line
>>
>>      set crypt_replysign=yes
>>
>>   in /etc/Muttrc, /etc/Muttrc.d/*, or ~/.muttrc, you'll see this
>> behavior.
>>

> Absolutely .. never removed it from the .muttrc I used as a template
> some 4-5 years back .. hoping that one day I'd find the time to set it
> up correctly .. play with it a bit .. and start understanding what it's
> about.

I would just get it set up correctly.  The only real sticking point in
OpenPGP is getting your head around key management (the "web of trust");
and even that becomes clear quickly.

Re: Why do I need a passphrase???

Paul Johnson
Paul Johnson wrote:

> Chris Jones wrote:
>
>> I have noticed that in order to reply to their posts some users on this
>> list require that I provide a "PGP passphrase" .. whatever that may be.
>>
>> I would gladly comply .. but I have no idea what that "PGP passphrase"
>> is and how I can obtain it.
>>

> You are running a mail client that has OpenPGP support.  You can find
> out more about OpenPGP at Wikipedia.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OpenPGP.  I strongly reccommend you
> familiarize yourself with this technology as it is commonly used verify
> that an email hasn't been tampered or modified in shipping, or to
> provide end-to-end encryption.
>
> To get started with GnuPG, the GNU OpenPGP implementation, check out

I just noticed I forgot to include the URL.
http://www.gnupg.org/gph/en/manual/book1.html