Why isn't there /etc/apache2/extra?

Bagas Sanjaya
Hello,

When I install apache2 package, configuration files are stored in
`/etc/apache2/sites-{available,enabled}` and
`/etc/apache2/conf-{available,enabled}`.

When I compile and install apache2 from upstream source tarball,
supplemental configuration are stored in `$PREFIX/conf/extra` (depending
on directory layout chosen during compilation).

Why Debian apache2 package doesn't have `/etc/apache2/extra`? Does the
mentioned directory (`extra`) removed during packaging? I didn't see any
mention on [debian packaging directory on
salsa](https://salsa.debian.org/apache-team/apache2/-/tree/master/debian).

An old man doll... just what I always wanted! - Clara

Re: Why isn't there /etc/apache2/extra?

Dan Ritter-4
Bagas Sanjaya wrote:
> When I install apache2 package, configuration files are stored in
> `/etc/apache2/sites-{available,enabled}` and

For virtual sites, and these can be programmatically enabled and
disabled.

> `/etc/apache2/conf-{available,enabled}`.

Largely for apache modules, same as above.

> When I compile and install apache2 from upstream source tarball,
> supplemental configuration are stored in `$PREFIX/conf/extra` (depending on
> directory layout chosen during compilation).
>
> Why Debian apache2 package doesn't have `/etc/apache2/extra`? Does the
> mentioned directory (`extra`) removed during packaging? I didn't see any
> mention on [debian packaging directory on
> salsa](https://salsa.debian.org/apache-team/apache2/-/tree/master/debian).

Debian's decisions on apache layout were made years earlier.

Extra configuration for apache2 should be put in conf.d

-dsr-

Re: Re: Why isn't there /etc/apache2/extra?

Bagas Sanjaya
> Debian's decisions on apache layout were made years earlier.
>
> Extra configuration for apache2 should be put in conf.d

Hmmm, seems contradictory here.

You say extra apache2 configuration should be placed on `conf.d`,

but Debian layout use `sites-{available,enabled}` and

`conf-{available,enabled}`. Do you mean upstream layout or something else?

tomas@tuxteam.de
On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 06:59:29PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

> >Debian's decisions on apache layout were made years earlier.
> >
> >Extra configuration for apache2 should be put in conf.d
>
> Hmmm, seems contradictory here.
>
> You say extra apache2 configuration should be placed on `conf.d`,
>
> but Debian layout use `sites-{available,enabled}` and
>
> `conf-{available,enabled}`. Do you mean upstream layout or something else?
Conf.d is for configuration which isn't per-site or per-module.

Cheers
-- tomás

Re: Why isn't there /etc/apache2/extra?

Sven Hartge-5
[hidden email] wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 06:59:29PM +0700, Bagas Sanjaya wrote:

>>> Debian's decisions on apache layout were made years earlier.
>>>
>>> Extra configuration for apache2 should be put in conf.d

>> Hmmm, seems contradictory here.
>>
>> You say extra apache2 configuration should be placed on `conf.d`,
>>
>> but Debian layout use `sites-{available,enabled}` and
>>
>> `conf-{available,enabled}`. Do you mean upstream layout or something else?

> Conf.d is for configuration which isn't per-site or per-module.

Are you sure?

I don't see anything including conf.d in a current Apache2 configuration
on Buster.

Only on systems which were incorrectly upgraded there are references to
conf.d/* left over.

The layout diagram on top of apache2.conf also does not mention conf.d
anywhere:

# It is split into several files forming the configuration hierarchy outlined
# below, all located in the /etc/apache2/ directory:
#
#       /etc/apache2/
#       |-- apache2.conf
#       |       `--  ports.conf
#       |-- mods-enabled
#       |       |-- *.load
#       |       `-- *.conf
#       |-- conf-enabled
#       |       `-- *.conf
#       `-- sites-enabled
#               `-- *.conf

Grüße,
Sven.

Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.

On Sat, Mar 14, 2020 at 01:29:47PM +0100, Sven Hartge wrote:

> [hidden email] wrote:

> >> Hmmm, seems contradictory here.
> >>
> >> You say extra apache2 configuration should be placed on `conf.d`,
> >>
> >> but Debian layout use `sites-{available,enabled}` and
> >>
> >> `conf-{available,enabled}`. Do you mean upstream layout or something else?
>
> > Conf.d is for configuration which isn't per-site or per-module.
>
> Are you sure?
>
> I don't see anything including conf.d in a current Apache2 configuration
> on Buster.
[...]

You're probably right.

Cheers