Xine error

larinia
Hello Everyone,

Please help me. I have debian installed on my laptop, the unstable
version.  I have been trying to get xine working for a long time, but I
never managed. My machine is voyage 64 3200+ A list from Evesham.

The following is the output from dmesg:

ATAPI device hdc:
  Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
  Incompatible medium installed -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x00)
  The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
  "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "

Does anyone know what is wrong with xine, or is it my machine.

Thanks.

Larinia

Re: Xine error

Curt Howland
I don't think that is an XINE problem. I have several DVDs which
get exactly the same error.

However, recovering WinXP on the same hardware read the DVDs
without problems.

When I reinstalled Debian, I did so from as close to complete
Unstable as I could, to avoid the missing KDElib4 that had
plagued me when trying to keep unstable after the Sarge release.

Now I can read some of the DVDs which were giving the error, but
not all of them. The ones that fail give the error you provide
below.

Curt-

On Saturday 17 September 2005 18:29, larinia was heard to say:

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history

Re: Xine error

David Pastern
On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 08:29 +1000, larinia wrote:

> Hello Everyone,
>
> Please help me. I have debian installed on my laptop, the unstable
> version.  I have been trying to get xine working for a long time, but I
> never managed. My machine is voyage 64 3200+ A list from Evesham.
>
> The following is the output from dmesg:
>
> ATAPI device hdc:
>   Error: Not ready -- (Sense key=0x02)
>   Incompatible medium installed -- (asc=0x30, ascq=0x00)
>   The failed "Read Cd/Dvd Capacity" packet command was:
>   "25 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 "
>
> Does anyone know what is wrong with xine, or is it my machine.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Larinia

Without wanting to appear rude, a bit of research is a good idea!  I
found a few links immediately courtesy of google that talk a bit about
it.  Firstly the google search link:

http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&ie=ISO-8859-1&q=Incompatible
+medium+installed+--+%28asc%3D0x30%2C+ascq%3D0x00%29&btnG=Google
+Search&meta=

and these are some of the more interesting  hits:

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=64388

http://www.linuxforums.org/forum/topic-50479.html

https://listman.redhat.com/archives/fedora-devel-list/2005-August/msg00170.html

http://staff.washington.edu/hornung/linux/archive/html/msg01168.html

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?threadid=353749

A few questions, do other DVDs work in this drive?  Do the DVDs in
question work in a known working DVD drive?  What is the output of
lspci?  You could try updating the firmware on the drive itself, but my
money is on the bet that it's a piece of faulty hardware.  Linux is far
less tolerant of faulty hardware than Windows I might add (at least from
my experience).  I'd say that it's not a kde, or kdelib4 issue.
Definitely not.  It could be a kernel issue, but I honestly doubt it.

An anecdote from my experience.  I had an older Pioneer DVD-120s slot
dvd rom drive.  Worked fine for 3 or 4 months.  Then odd things started
happening.  Couldn't play DVDs.  Xine, mplayer, ogle, vlc all would
hang.  Checked permissions, rebuilt the device node, nothing helped.  In
the end, I was doing some beta testing for Libranet, and the beta DVD
would fail to boot properly.  Since I had a new LG dvd burner as well, I
just booted from that, and the disk worked a charm.  A note that audio
CDs would not play via kscd, but would work via xmms.  Audio cable etc,
was fine.  Swapped sound card, same issue.  In the end, I noticed errors
in /var/log/messages, saying seek drive error.  That was that, I got a
new LG dvd drive, replaced the crappy Pioneer drive and all worked well
ever since.  My conclusion: faulty drive.  My gut instinct (and some
research on this), tells me it's a faulty drive.

Hope this helps,

Dave

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 20:25 +1000, larinia wrote:
> Well, I have done lots of Googling myself for the last few months.

OK, that's great!

>  Most post started ok, but has no solution to it. Some post has no
> reply.

Yeah I noticed.  But - several of the posts that I saw led to faulty
hardware.  A few suspected the kernel, but no proof.

> I have tried all sorts of thing, I have also libdvdcss, but nothing
> worked (for all types of DVD).

libdvdcss won't have anything to do with this.  It's not reading the
disk at all.

> I have a feeling it is a faulty drive.

So do I.

> Is there a way to prove it is the drive that is faulty?

There probably is, cos I use a desktop pc, and not a laptop (the scum of
proprietary hardware imho and I avoid them like the proverbial plague
for those reasons), I'd usually swap the drive over.  That quickly tells
me if I'm right.  Unfortunately, with the nature of laptops, that's not
so easily done.

You could try a few things:

1.  Update the kernel

2.  Update the firmware for the dvd device (if at all possible, which I
doubt with a laptop).  Not easy to do anyways, since most firmware
updaters are either dos or windows based.

3.  Make sure that the DVD disks are ok (try them in a known working dvd
rom drive etc).

4.  If you have the ability, try an external dvd rom drive (preferably
firewire), it'd be slow, but if it works, then it'd disprove a kernel
issue I feel.

5.  What does lspci show?  Does it show seek errors for that drive?

6.  Check that you're a member of the audio and video groups, check the
permissions on the dvd drom device etc etc.  Basic permissions stuff.

7.  Does the disk play normal audio CDs and/or data CDs ok?  For audio
CDs i'd suggest using kscd - I feel that as long as the audio cable goes
to the dvd rom drive, and you have the permissions correct, and the
right device selected in kscd, if it fails to still play, it's a
hardware issue.

Is the machine still under warranty?  If so, I'd return it for testing.
Make the manufacturer earn their $$$.

> I am quite new to Debian, so any help will be appreciated.

That's OK.  I've been using Debian or Debian based distros now for 3,
nearly 4 years, and I'm still learning every day.

> Larinia

Best wishes,

Dave

Re: Xine error

Curt Howland
On Sunday 18 September 2005 07:39, larinia was heard to say:
> Thanks Dave, I'll give them a try and see how it goes,
> otherwise I will re-install wondows (last resort). The next
> computer I buy won't be a laptop for sure!
>
> Larinia

Mine, also, is a laptop. Unless I can get the problem to reoccur
in Windows, the place I bought it won't service it. That's why I
wasn't sure if it was driver based or not, since I did put
Windows on it, and the "failing" DVDs were able to be read.

Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
void.

The service people had it for a month, because of a DVD drive
failure, I only got it back a week ago. But the drive they put
in isn't exactly the same as the one that was in it before. The
lens configuration is different. But, like I said, if I cannot
get it to fail in Windows then I just have to put up and shut
up.

The Microsoft OEM stranglehold must be broken!

Curt-

On Sun, 2005-09-18 at 08:11 -0400, Curt Howland wrote:

> On Sunday 18 September 2005 07:39, larinia was heard to say:
> > Thanks Dave, I'll give them a try and see how it goes,
> > otherwise I will re-install wondows (last resort). The next
> > computer I buy won't be a laptop for sure!
> >
> > Larinia
>
> Mine, also, is a laptop. Unless I can get the problem to reoccur
> in Windows, the place I bought it won't service it. That's why I
> wasn't sure if it was driver based or not, since I did put
> Windows on it, and the "failing" DVDs were able to be read.
>
> Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
> the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
> void.

This is why I won't buy a laptop.  Proprietary crap, stupid licenses,
poor support from hardware manufacturers via their very pro Microsoft
warranties.  The bastards aren't getting any of my money!

> The service people had it for a month, because of a DVD drive
> failure, I only got it back a week ago. But the drive they put
> in isn't exactly the same as the one that was in it before. The
> lens configuration is different. But, like I said, if I cannot
> get it to fail in Windows then I just have to put up and shut
> up.
>
> The Microsoft OEM stranglehold must be broken!

<rant>

Unfortunately, no anti competition board (at least in Australia) is
interested in touching it.  Microsoft bribes, oops I mean pays the
politicians to ensure of this.  I've had the ACCC telling me that
Microsoft isn't a monopoly!  I, of course, begged to differ, since
Norway, Israel, Japan, The European union and of course, the United
States of America have all felt that Microsoft was indeed a monopoly.

The simplest way to solve this problem is not to buy their products, to
write them and state why you did not buy their product(s), and to tell
friends and family.  Lobbying your local MP incessantly does help also
(to an extent).

If only governments would actually stamp down on this sort of behaviour,
the PC market would open up in an instant, and for the better.
Microsoft would like you to think that the market is competitive, but,
if it's competitive, I'm Santa Claus.  Stop OEM manufacturers from
having OEM agreements such as the infamous Microsoft OEM agreement,
ensure that the customer can buy a laptop (or any other hardware)
without any software bundle, without any price penalty, if they choose
to do so.  Make illegal any warranties that penalise you for changing
operating systems (to one of your choice).  For far too long, the
computer industry has went without ANY regulation.

</rant>

> Curt-

Dave

Re: Xine error

Hendrik Sattler
Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
> Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
> the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
> void.

Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with local law (they
try anyway), e.g. the above statement would probably be meaningless in
Germany.

HS

Re: Xine error

Curt Howland
On Sunday 18 September 2005 08:53, Hendrik Sattler was heard to
say:
> Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
> > Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything
> > over the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware
> > warrantee is void.
>
> Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with
> local law (they try anyway), e.g. the above statement would
> probably be meaningless in Germany.

Quite likely. Governments do tend to interfere with freedom of
contract.

It's been "in the shop" three times, the second time the DVD
drive failed so badly that I couldn't get the Windows recovery
disks to read. I thought they would notice it booted Linux, but
sure enough it came back with WinXP.

Backups are a GoodThing(tm), one never knows when they might be
needed.

Curt-

--
September 11th, 2001
planning advocates in American history

Re: Xine error

andersa (Bugzilla)
On Sunday 18 September 2005 15:26, Curt Howland wrote:
> > Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with
> > local law (they try anyway), e.g. the above statement would
> > probably be meaningless in Germany.
>
> Quite likely. Governments do tend to interfere with freedom of
> contract.

Ohhh riiight!! It's all good in the name of freedom of contract. Get the f.
out of here with that ..

I buy a piece of hardware, it's my universal right to do whatever the hell I
want with it.

Anders

--
 - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

Re: Xine error

Curt Howland
Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
completely, in theory.

However, just like people choosing to publish their works under
the GPL, the hardware manufacturer may specify any limitations
they wish. Opening the case, dropping it in water, for that
matter dropping it at all, will all void the hardware warentee.
They may still fix it, but they will charge me for their labors.

I do not like it any more than you do, but then I didn't know
about it until after it was purchased.

Curt-

On Sunday 18 September 2005 10:05 it was so written:

On Sunday 18 September 2005 17:36, Curt Howland wrote:
> Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
> completely, in theory.

Sorry. It is easy to get the wrong idea in a written discussion.

Anders

--
 - Debian/Unstable - KDE 3.4.2 - KMail 1.8.2 -

Re: Xine error

David Pye
On Sunday 18 September 2005 11:25, larinia wrote:
> Well, I have done lots of Googling myself for the last few months. Most
> post started ok, but has no solution to it. Some post has no reply. I
> have tried all sorts of thing, I have also libdvdcss, but nothing worked
> (for all types of DVD). I have a feeling it is a faulty drive. Is there
> a way to prove it is the drive that is faulty? I am quite new to Debian,
> so any help will be appreciated.
>
> Larinia

Try a different linux distribution, or, even, <shudder> windows.

If nothing can play the dvd, it's probably a reasonable assumption to blame
the drive.  Alternatively, drives are REALLY cheap now, so you could pick up
a nice new DVD drive and see ;)

David

Re: Xine error

Lucia Sanchez
Hendrik Sattler wrote:

> Am Sonntag, 18. September 2005 14:11 schrieb Curt Howland:
>
>>Worse, the warrantee specifies that if I install anything over
>>the WinXP that the laptop came with, my hardware warrantee is
>>void.
>

> Hmm, vendors often write things that are not compliant with local law (they
> try anyway), e.g. the above statement would probably be meaningless in
> Germany.
Not only in Germany but in the whole European Union.  All hardware has a
2 year guarantee by law (for the first six months problems are assumed
to be caused by manufacturing errors and must be replaced, for the next
18 months it is the client who must prove that the piece is faulty).
Certain companies may offer a longer "straightforward" guarantee time,
but that's what the European Directive ("Directiva Europea" in Spanish,
I'm not sure about the translation).

So the guarantee about installing anything other than WinXP on you
laptop probably refers to the computer as a whole; but if you live in
Europe then the RAM modules, processor, DVD drive, etc etc are still
under legal guarantee if the two years aren't up.  If that is the case,
I'd recommend visiting a Consummers Office to get more accurate
information as to what to do next.
--
Lu.

------------------------------------
 I will live forever or die trying.
------------------------------------

Re: Xine error

Derek Broughton-2
Curt Howland wrote:

> Good sir, please, don't misunderstand me. I agree with you
> completely, in theory.
>
> However, just like people choosing to publish their works under
> the GPL, the hardware manufacturer may specify any limitations
> they wish. Opening the case, dropping it in water, for that
> matter dropping it at all, will all void the hardware warentee.
> They may still fix it, but they will charge me for their labors.
>
> I do not like it any more than you do, but then I didn't know
> about it until after it was purchased.

And that's precisely why governments do (and should) "interfere" in freedom
of contract.  It's one thing to have a freely entered contract, it's
something completely different when the contract is supposedly in force as
soon as you open the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
contract.
--
derek

Re: Xine error

Curt Howland
On Monday 19 September 2005 10:48, Derek Broughton was heard to
say:
> And that's precisely why governments do (and should)
> "interfere" in freedom of contract.

Not at all. I should have read it. The fault is entirely mine.

> It's one thing to have a
> freely entered contract, it's something completely different
> when the contract is supposedly in force as soon as you open
> the box - even though you have had no chance to read said
> contract.

I didn't say I didn't have the chance. I said I hadn't read it
prior to purchasing the machine. It was there, fully visible
right along with the rest of the exclusions, like dropping,
crushing, immersion.

It does, however, ensure that I will never buy Sony hardware
without reading the warrantee explicitly again. That is the
power of the "free" market, which does indeed require me to take
care of my self since BigMommyGovernment won't. Not that she
ever does take care of anyone but herself anyway. If she did,
there wouldn't be any Consumer Reports, Underwriters Labs, or
private security agencies of any kind.

I can suggest the articles on http://www.mises.org/ for
information on quite a wide range of topics.

Also, Emperor Linux and LinuxCertified both sell laptops
comparable to this rather remarkable machine with Linux
preinstalled, so there won't be any need to buy a "WinXP" only
machine in the future. That is something I'm very happy about,
and I wish I had known about them prior to this purchase.

If you would like to continue the discussion, shall we go
off-list?

> derek

Curt-