(abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
9 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

(abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Long Wind
Thank Thomas!
I disable javascript, but it still display nothing.

the web site is in Chinese, use Unicode

my energy is limited,I give up
Thank all those who reply!

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

SDA-2
On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:30:05AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
> Thank Thomas!
> I disable javascript, but it still display nothing.
>
> the web site is in Chinese, use Unicode
>
> my energy is limited,I give up
> Thank all those who reply!

I posted a link to what the page looks like as a webm movie. Not see it?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Long Wind
i can visit the web site with firefox 4 xp and android browser. the problem is with iceweasel

thanks anyway!

On Wednesday, June 7, 2017, SDA <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:30:05AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
> Thank Thomas!
> I disable javascript, but it still display nothing.
>
> the web site is in Chinese, use Unicode
>
> my energy is limited,I give up
> Thank all those who reply!

I posted a link to what the page looks like as a webm movie. Not see it?

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Lisi Reisz
On Wednesday 07 June 2017 01:51:30 Long Wind wrote:

> i can visit the web site with firefox 4 xp and android browser. the problem
> is with iceweasel
>
> thanks anyway!
>
> On Wednesday, June 7, 2017, SDA <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > On Wed, Jun 07, 2017 at 05:30:05AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
> > > Thank Thomas!
> > > I disable javascript, but it still display nothing.
> > >
> > > the web site is in Chinese, use Unicode
> > >
> > > my energy is limited,I give up
> > > Thank all those who reply!
> >
> > I posted a link to what the page looks like as a webm movie. Not see it?

Why are you using Iceweasel?  (You probably said, but I can't find it.)

Lisi

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Long Wind
On 6/8/17, Lisi Reisz <[hidden email]> wrote:

>
> Why are you using Iceweasel?  (You probably said, but I can't find it.)
>
> Lisi
>
>

iceweasel is debian's fork of firefox( which is popular)?
i want to use a popular browser
and i think iceweasel is a popular one.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Brian
On Thu 08 Jun 2017 at 04:05:33 +0800, Long Wind wrote:

> On 6/8/17, Lisi Reisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> >
> > Why are you using Iceweasel?  (You probably said, but I can't find it.)
> >
> > Lisi
>
> iceweasel is debian's fork of firefox( which is popular)?
> i want to use a popular browser
> and i think iceweasel is a popular one.

iceweasel is definitely not a fork of firefox.

Cue history of Debian's naming of a popular web browser.

--
Brian.

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Greg Wooledge
In reply to this post by Long Wind
On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 04:05:33AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
> On 6/8/17, Lisi Reisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
> > Why are you using Iceweasel?  (You probably said, but I can't find it.)

> iceweasel is debian's fork of firefox( which is popular)?
> i want to use a popular browser
> and i think iceweasel is a popular one.

You've missed the point, though to be fair it wasn't spelled out very
clearly.

The "iceweasel" name is historic now.  The trademark issues with
Mozilla have been resolved.  In jessie and stretch, iceweasel is a
*transitional* package, existing only to bring in firefox-esr for
people who had previously been using the browser under that name.
Once you've got firefox-esr installed, you can remove the "iceweasel"
transitional package.

As for your original issue, I'm stumped.  Firefox-esr (and iceweasel
before it) have Javascript enabled by default.  If your Javascript web
site isn't loading in those browsers, and you're sure you've tried it with
the default settings, then the reason is something much too subtle for me.

(If you haven't tried it with the default settings yet, that would be
the next thing I'd try.  Create a new browser profile, or create a
whole new Debian user account if you want a *really* clean slate.)

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Long Wind
Thank Greg Wooledge!

I have created a new user, and the problem remain
it mean the default setting does not work for the web site

iceweasel in jessie really is firefox?
it's strange that firefox for XP is ok with the site

Thank Brian!

On 6/8/17, Greg Wooledge <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 04:05:33AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
>> On 6/8/17, Lisi Reisz <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Why are you using Iceweasel?  (You probably said, but I can't find it.)
>
>> iceweasel is debian's fork of firefox( which is popular)?
>> i want to use a popular browser
>> and i think iceweasel is a popular one.
>
> You've missed the point, though to be fair it wasn't spelled out very
> clearly.
>
> The "iceweasel" name is historic now.  The trademark issues with
> Mozilla have been resolved.  In jessie and stretch, iceweasel is a
> *transitional* package, existing only to bring in firefox-esr for
> people who had previously been using the browser under that name.
> Once you've got firefox-esr installed, you can remove the "iceweasel"
> transitional package.
>
> As for your original issue, I'm stumped.  Firefox-esr (and iceweasel
> before it) have Javascript enabled by default.  If your Javascript web
> site isn't loading in those browsers, and you're sure you've tried it with
> the default settings, then the reason is something much too subtle for me.
>
> (If you haven't tried it with the default settings yet, that would be
> the next thing I'd try.  Create a new browser profile, or create a
> whole new Debian user account if you want a *really* clean slate.)
>
>

Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: (abort)Re: why can't I visit this web site

Greg Wooledge
On Thu, Jun 08, 2017 at 05:34:10AM +0800, Long Wind wrote:
> iceweasel in jessie really is firefox?

You should probably verify what browser you're actually using.  Either
find the "Help" or "About Something" option in the settings menu, or
try going to "about:" in the URL bar.

> it's strange that firefox for XP is ok with the site

There are many strange aspects of this problem.  I don't yet understand
what's going on.