adding a web user?

Zachary Uram
Banned User
This post was updated on .
CONTENTS DELETED
The author has deleted this message.

Re: adding a web user?

Ansgar Burchardt-4
Hi,

"Zach Uram" <[hidden email]> writes:

> I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
> webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
> web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
> risky. Any solution?

You can create a normal account for him and only allow scp/sftp over ssh.
Take a look at the `scponly' package.

Regards,
Ansgar

--
PGP: 1024D/595FAD19  739E 2D09 0969 BEA9 9797  B055 DDB0 2FF7 595F AD19

Re: adding a web user?

Thierry Chatelet
On Monday 17 November 2008 21:59:23 Zach Uram wrote:

> I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
> webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
> web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
> risky. Any solution?
>
> Zach
>
> --
> <><
> J.S. Bach - Primus inter pares
> Soli Deo Gloria
> http://www.jesujuva.org
>
> ><>

fail2ban may be ok

Re: adding a web user?

Ron Johnson
On 11/17/08 14:59, Zach Uram wrote:
> I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
> webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
> web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
> risky. Any solution?

scp.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA  USA

If you don't agree with me, you are worse than Hitler!!!

Re: adding a web user?

Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.-2
On Monday 17 November 2008, "Zach Uram" <[hidden email]> wrote
about 'adding a web user?':
>I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
>webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
>web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
>risky. Any solution?

WebDAV
--
Boyd Stephen Smith Jr.                     ,= ,-_-. =.
[hidden email]                      ((_/)o o(\_))

Re: adding a web user?

Thierry Chatelet
On Monday 17 November 2008 22:47:35 Thierry Chatelet wrote:

> On Monday 17 November 2008 21:59:23 Zach Uram wrote:
> > I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
> > webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
> > web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
> > risky. Any solution?
> >
> > Zach
> >
> > --
> > <><
> > J.S. Bach - Primus inter pares
> > Soli Deo Gloria
> > http://www.jesujuva.org
> >
> > ><>
>
> fail2ban may be ok

Did not know about scp. Thanks too all

Re: adding a web user?

Paul Johnson
Zach Uram wrote:
> I would like one of my friends to host some files on my apache
> webserver, but I only wish him the ability to upload files into the
> web directory, but don't want to run an FTP server since that is very
> risky. Any solution?

The way I solved this for myself is I don't run an FTP daemon, but I do
run OpenSSH.  This allows users to access their shells and SFTP and SCP
as needed.